Starry Blenny Herbivore...not mine...lol

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2019
Messages
65
Reaction score
50
Location
Lewisville, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Starry Blenny and absolutely love this fish. To say that they are incredible would be an understatement.

In my set up I only have 3 fish. The other two are a Black Storm Clown and a Black Clown. All 3 get along great. They are peaceful and that is how I like a tank to run.

When I got my Starry Blenny it was for the sole purpose of having a herbivore to help with any micro algae that may be in the tank as my clown's obviously don't do that. My Blenny must be of a different breed though. I don't mean that literally but while he does eat plant based foods, nothing pleases him more than when I feed my clownfish fresh meaty foods such as Mysis. He absolutely goes crazy and eats it like it is candy. It is comical and yet amazing to me and I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience?
 
Most fish that are labeled "herbivore" in stores will go crazy for mysis. Nothing's wrong with him. He probably doesn't want to pass up a free calorie dense snack

Yea, I was not worried that anything was wrong with him. He is happy and healthy. It clearly just shows they are not strictly herbivores.
 
Came across this old thread. Are they a lot more omnivorous than their congeners Lawnmowers? If that’s true, interesting intra-genus differences.

Are different dietary preferences common within the same genus? Like one species is more of a generalized feeder while the other is an obligate x-vore?
 
Mine eats everything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new