Starting 40 breeder

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdpeters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jdpeters

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Messages
928
Reaction score
477
Location
eatonville washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coming back to the reef side of the hobby and currently building out a 40 breeder. I’m still in the thick of the build process but I’m really starting to put some forethought into how intend on starting it once I get it rolling.

I’m fully committed to it being a bare bottom mostly SPS reef. Picture will be attached with my current progress.

I understand there is some pitfalls to bare bottom in reference to stability in the beginning but I’m prepared for it. Tank will be lit by a Kessil ap9x with really throttled back intensity for a good length of time and I will likely do a fish in cycle.

My question is how would the community go about starting it along with what methods and or products? I’m patient but a little overwhelmed with the overwhelming ability of products and live goods. Thank you!

IMG_9951.jpeg IMG_9949.jpeg IMG_9950.jpeg IMG_9936.jpeg IMG_9945.jpeg
 
good choice with the AP9x, that should take care of any coral you would ever want in a tank that size. Have you given thought to flow? Very important for SPS. 1-2 gyres would work wonders i think. I use these on my frag tank: https://amzn.to/40bbBk0
 
good choice with the AP9x, that should take care of any coral you would ever want in a tank that size. Have you given thought to flow? Very important for SPS. 1-2 gyres would work wonders i think. I use these on my frag tank: https://amzn.to/40bbBk0
I’ve really went back and forth on the lighting but the ap9x is great solution. I’m likely going to do 2 Nero 3s
 
I’ve really went back and forth on the lighting but the ap9x is great solution. I’m likely going to do 2 Nero 3s
That’s how I did flow in my 40b.

Since you got lighting and flow done I’ll just say this. While I’m not an expert rather far from it, just because the display is “bare bottom” doesn’t mean you can’t use substrate.

You can use Tupperware's of substrate in the sump to get the same “effect” as having substrate in the display.

Check out a product called miracle mud. Many have mentioned it’s awesome potential in sps tanks and fish health etc.

Happy reefing
 
That’s how I did flow in my 40b.

Since you got lighting and flow done I’ll just say this. While I’m not an expert rather far from it, just because the display is “bare bottom” doesn’t mean you can’t use substrate.

You can use Tupperware's of substrate in the sump to get the same “effect” as having substrate in the display.

Check out a product called miracle mud. Many have mentioned it’s awesome potential in sps tanks and fish health etc.

Happy reefing
Thank you for mentioning substrate in the sump. I’ve been listening to a ton of BRS at work and I had the idea of putting a dish of possible ocean direct into the sump. I assume even just a few cups of let’s say, ocean direct could help with the initial set up and stability with the beneficial bacteria from it?
 
Thank you for mentioning substrate in the sump. I’ve been listening to a ton of BRS at work and I had the idea of putting a dish of possible ocean direct into the sump. I assume even just a few cups of let’s say, ocean direct could help with the initial set up and stability with the beneficial bacteria from it?
It would definitely help of course.

Check out a product called miracle mud for some further planning if you’re interested. It’s supposed to work wonders, helps control and maintain HLLE etc. idk about all of that but it would be huge for stability and cryptic zones etc.

I’ll be using it in my next tank project coming up shortly
 
It would definitely help of course.

Check out a product called miracle mud for some further planning if you’re interested. It’s supposed to work wonders, helps control and maintain HLLE etc. idk about all of that but it would be huge for stability and cryptic zones etc.

I’ll be using it in my next tank project coming up shortly
I’m watching the BRS/WWC series right now. I’m just coming back to the reef side of the hobby and I’m surprised to hear someone mention miracle mud, I assumed it would have died out. My last system had a benthic zone with just a bunch of cycled rock and a skimmer section. I think that might be a little old school but I’m going to use a skimmer, haven’t picked one yet and possibly just do a benthic chamber no macro algae. Any thoughts on that? Possibly ocean direct sand and rubble both in trays for ease of cleaning?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new