Starting a New Build

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all

Been out of the hobby for a bit and deciding to jump back in.
I've got a basic 29 going right now with a couple fish and coral, but got the itch for something bigger again.
I've been planning the new build for almost a year now. Started with a 92 corner bow last summer, then had to tear it down to replace some flooring. That tank was pretty worn out so decided I would get something newer. Large corner tanks are hard to find and expensive so I'm starting to explore other options but having a hard time finding anything affordable.
Sizes I'm considering are:

93 Cube, would fit the space perfect, and they are a decent price, but I can't seem to get a hold of one in my area (distributors stopped carrying Marineland).

90G Wide 36x24x24. I really like this size, would fit well, but again not many options for readily available affordable tanks

Standard 120, this seems to be the most widely available size, although it may look awkward in the space available. good chance this is where I will end up though.

I started acquiring a bunch of equipment last year for the 92. So far I have:

Trigger 20V2 Triton Sump
One Kessil A360WE, will probably need to pick up at least one more depending on what tank I end up with.
One MP40W QD, again, may need another if I end up with a 4' tank
Jebao DCQ 10000, this should be good for whatever I end up with
Aqua UV 25W UV with Ozone. Not sure If I'll use the Ozone feature
Octo 110int skimmer, might be a touch small, but we'll see how it goes.
BRS media reactor, probably going carbon in both chambers as I'm shooting for the Triton method
300 watt titanium heater
Neptune ATK V2
All the fancy SCH 80 plumbing fittings with blue PVC
1/2 horse chiller from probably 1995 haha. Its a beast and loud, and its internal controller doesn't work, but it sure does make water cold in testing.

Still need:
The tank... Any suggestions on where to get a hold of the sizes I'm looking for would be great. SC aquariums seems to be the best options for sort of affordable nice looking tanks that I can find. Aqua Japan also has decent options, but they are only available as complete kits with stand and sump.
Live Rock: definitely going most, if not all dry and seed from the 29
I'll build my own steel stand to hold everything. I do quite a bit of metal fabrication, so I'm excited to build this and accommodate mounts and brackets to hold everything and make it look super clean.
Light for the sump: probably Kessil A80 or A160
Top off container
Controller. debating if I should bite the bullet and go new Apex, or save some money and get a used classic. I'm all about automation and low maintenance, so may have to go for the new version.

Goals:
I want this to be an as low maintenance as possible addition to my living room. don't really want to deal with dosing, or a bunch of large water changes, so going to stick to easier corals and fish. the lady friend and I both like the movement and color of LPS so probably going to focus on that with some easier SPS and some zoas.
I'll likely convert the 29 to a QT once the new tank is running.

Let me know what you think, and if there are any suggestions on where to get the glass (new or used), I'm about an hour south of the SF Bay Area.

Current pic of the 29:
29.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings.
my LFS has all their "for sale" tanks made locally.
have you checked locally? might even be able to get a custom size made.
welcome to the show.
:cool:

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! You need to do a build thread for this upgrade!! You get a cool banner by your name. Go into your profile and poke around. You'll find the spot to add your build thread.
And #WelcometoR2R !! You'll like it here!!
There are a couple stores in Monterey I know of. There used to be some bigger ones north in San Jose and Dublin

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, like the staNd, tank looks great too.

1587086403157.gif

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
[B][B]ndrwater[/B][/B], do you know the names of the shops in Monterey? I've been mostly going to Neptune in San Jose, but although very nice, they definitely add the Silicon Valley premium to their stuff.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA-90GC-2.jpg
Tank ordered. I'll start a new thread when it get here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back