Starting my first reef tank

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured she was right, she gave me some suggestions for brands like Kessil and Radion, but those were so expensive I held on to my Fluval hopes
Those are both great brands, unfortunatley they are very expensive as well. Try browsing around the lighting threads, you will find some great options.

OP
OP
CassieCamille

CassieCamille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Facebook groups for your areas then the classifieds and selling threads here. Also look on here for a group local to your area. You may want to also make sure you have a good bit of rock or make your aquascape tall so you can put sps up higher in your tank.
Yeah I buy a lot for my freshwater tanks on Facebook. But the only saltwater stuff I’ve seen is people selling their whole setup, tanks and all. And that’s too rich for my pocketbook haha, I’ll check out local groups on there though, they might also have some advice!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I buy a lot for my freshwater tanks on Facebook. But the only saltwater stuff I’ve seen is people selling their whole setup, tanks and all. And that’s too rich for my pocketbook haha, I’ll check out local groups on there though, they might also have some advice!
You can always offer people money for things you need when they're selling the whole setup. Just give them your name and say hey when no one wants everything ill take that wavemaker or those lights. Whatever it is.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured she was right, she gave me some suggestions for brands like Kessil and Radion, but those were so expensive I held on to my Fluval hopes
I have a Fluval 3.0 light. I use it with a few lps and it can definitely be used for sps, as I have spoken to people who use it for that. However, it's not the best.

Also...
1a-Welcome Aboard.gif

OP
OP
CassieCamille

CassieCamille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always offer people money for things you need when they're selling the whole setup. Just give them your name and say hey when no one wants everything ill take that wavemaker or those lights. Whatever it is.
That’s a good idea! I’ll have to do that next time I see one!

OP
OP
CassieCamille

CassieCamille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval 3.0 light. I use it with a few lps and it can definitely be used for sps, as I have spoken to people who use it for that. However, it's not the best for good sps growth.
So you think I could use it as a starter for the softies and LPS and level up when I get to SPS water quality in a year or so?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I could use it as a starter for the softies and LPS and level up when I get to SPS water quality in a year or so?
I have it on a Fluval AIO 13.5 gal., but have spoken to others with it on bigger tanks like yours. In just my experience, the corals were ok, but I wanted something a little brighter and put one of these on the tank too (see bottom). Now they grow like crazy. If you buy the light I think you will feel the same way. It's OK and it works, but you will want something a little better. You can find reviews on r2r, but that's just my 2 cents. I would just say don't pay attention to people who say any product is absolutely terrible when they have never even used it. You will see that type of thing a lot on here. If I put up a tank your size, I would just buy something better up front. Otherwise, you eventually end up paying for two lights - one now and one later. Often searching for a deal and doing it right first saves money in the end. You are going to have a great time with this tank!

OP
OP
CassieCamille

CassieCamille

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on a Fluval AIO 13.5 gal., but have spoken to others with it on bigger tanks like yours. In just my experience, the corals were ok, but I wanted something a little brighter and put one of these on the tank too (see bottom). Now they grow like crazy. If you buy the light I think you will feel the same way. It's OK and it works, but you will want something a little better. You can find reviews on r2r, but that's just my 2 cents. I would just say don't pay attention to people who say any product is absolutely terrible when they have never even used it. You will see that type of thing a lot on here. If I put up a tank your size, I would just buy something better up front. Otherwise, you eventually end up paying for two lights - one now and one later. Often searching for a deal and doing it right first saves money in the end. You are going to have a great time with this tank!

Okay, thanks! I’ll look around online for a good deal on a better light. I’m pretty excited about setting it up, aquascaping a new tank is always really fun for me, and I can’t wait to do it with corals!

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m starting my very first reef tank, I have 7 freshwater tanks, but this is my first saltwater. It’s a 55 gallon 48”X13”X21” and I’m wanting it to be a mix of LPS, SPS, and Softies. (I’m just learning terminology, so sorry if that’s not right). I’ve been trying to narrow down lighting and what would be best, I’ve thought about doing the Fluval Marine 3.0, as all my other tanks have Fluval Aquaskys and it would be convenient to have them all in the same app and to have a familiar brand. Does anybody here know what I would need for a mixed reef tank? I’ve been talking to a friend who has a nano reef tank and she thinks it might not be enough lighting for LPS and SPS corals.
Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to ask, we have many answers!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m starting my very first reef tank, I have 7 freshwater tanks, but this is my first saltwater. It’s a 55 gallon 48”X13”X21” and I’m wanting it to be a mix of LPS, SPS, and Softies. (I’m just learning terminology, so sorry if that’s not right). I’ve been trying to narrow down lighting and what would be best, I’ve thought about doing the Fluval Marine 3.0, as all my other tanks have Fluval Aquaskys and it would be convenient to have them all in the same app and to have a familiar brand. Does anybody here know what I would need for a mixed reef tank? I’ve been talking to a friend who has a nano reef tank and she thinks it might not be enough lighting for LPS and SPS corals.
Welcome to R2R

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back