Starting out

gearish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get into reef tanks and I’m already doing the most research I can. But looking for some opinions. I want to start out with a 20-15g cube AIO, but I wanted to know if these would be good beginner specs and when adding a fish, could smaller species of clownfish and some CUC be ok with that size. And I’m looking for some other insight on stuff like lighting recs for the tank and some other tips. Anything helps :)
 
I really want to get into reef tanks and I’m already doing the most research I can. But looking for some opinions. I want to start out with a 20-15g cube AIO, but I wanted to know if these would be good beginner specs and when adding a fish, could smaller species of clownfish and some CUC be ok with that size. And I’m looking for some other insight on stuff like lighting recs for the tank and some other tips. Anything helps :)
Yes, a couple of clowns is doable. Good luck and welcome, glad you are here!
 
A pair of captive-bred ocellaris will do great in a 20. Tank-raised clowns already eat prepared foods and are used to aquarium life, so they're a good first fish once the tank has cycled. Either buy an already-bonded pair or two small juveniles together, with one a bit bigger than the other, and let them pair up naturally.
 
Welcome to R2R!

I kept 2 ocellaris clowns in a 20 gallon for a little over a year. I did buy them together while they were very small.

As far as CUC goes. Snails, and hermit crabs are usually the go-to. Just make sure you have plenty of spare shells for the hermit crabs to move to, because they will go after snails to steal their shells.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new