Steel Stand Leveling Ideas

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends,

Please suggest me with ideas about how I go about leveling my Tank stand, please find the attached pictures.

The stand itself is made of 1.5 inch hollow tubing and it was custom made and I finished painting it in my balcony :), the little screw holes are welded on to the 6 vertical legs of the stand.
each of the hole is about 2" in length but the threading is only the height of the little square piece welded(see in the third picture ).

The hole's threading itself is 3/8"

Now I live in an apartment with hardwood flooring but it is not perfectly flat and I ordered the custom stand with some sort of Leveling mount in my mind but I need help in choosing leveling mount that will handle the weight of 60" X 24" X 19" Acrylic(1/2" thick) tank and the steel stand, lets just put it as 2000Lbs.

The leveling mounts that I find online are either prohibitively expensive ( https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/l...se-dia-473-inchesh-1800-lbs-cap-304-ss?ref=42 )

or the one in Amazon are looking very suspect ( weight capacity )

can anyone suggest Leveling mounts that won't break my bank or am I better off with shims ?

Oh I live in Ontario, Canada btw.

IMG-5025.jpg
IMG-5026.jpg
IMG-5027.jpg
IMG-5028.jpg

Thanks for all Suggestions and advise!
Suresh Kumar

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@suresh2989 this would be about right for cost on leveling casters. I am a little confused about your concern with the cost. This is drop in the bucket of the total cost of the size of tank that you are planning on setting up. You will learn that in this hobby it is better to do it right than to cut corners on cost. It is very very easy to end up spending way more in some other area when you cut corners in another.

A couple of the ways that I deal with cost is to extend my time horizons. This allows me to take smaller bites out of my disposible income over longer periods. Your tank isn't set up yet so you don't have the urgency of needing to pay for thingsright away. Take your time and be patient. It's an incredibly necessary lesson that you will absolutely need once you start stocking and dealing with creatures.

Good luck :)

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these from Home Depot. I've seen them used on some acrylic monster size tanks also. They're composite not wood so they won't deteriorate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-160850_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-160850_Chrome.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@suresh2989 this would be about right for cost on leveling casters. I am a little confused about your concern with the cost. This is drop in the bucket of the total cost of the size of tank that you are planning on setting up. You will learn that in this hobby it is better to do it right than to cut corners on cost. It is very very easy to end up spending way more in some other area when you cut corners in another.

A couple of the ways that I deal with cost is to extend my time horizons. This allows me to take smaller bites out of my disposible income over longer periods. Your tank isn't set up yet so you don't have the urgency of needing to pay for thingsright away. Take your time and be patient. It's an incredibly necessary lesson that you will absolutely need once you start stocking and dealing with creatures.

Good luck :)
I agree that’s it’s better to do it right but i worried about making costly mistakes as I know nothing about what to order and the lead wait times for the products as well.

I waited 3 weeks for a swivel type levelling mount from Grainger.ca which they delivered partly(1/6) and told me they have no estimate on when they will get the rest of the quantities so I asked them to cancel the order.

the link I posted does not even give me a shipping estimate so I’m looking for alternatives from people who have sourced these leveling mounts in the past.

I do agree with you and am also appreciate advise on the length of bolt and other factors that I should consider while ordering these.

thanks
Suresh kumar

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that’s it’s better to do it right but i worried about making costly mistakes as I know nothing about what to order and the lead wait times for the products as well.

I waited 3 weeks for a swivel type levelling mount from Grainger.ca which they delivered partly(1/6) and told me they have no estimate on when they will get the rest of the quantities so I asked them to cancel the order.

the link I posted does not even give me a shipping estimate so I’m looking for alternatives from people who have sourced these leveling mounts in the past.

I do agree with you and am also appreciate advise on the length of bolt and other factors that I should consider while ordering these.

thanks
Suresh kumar
Here are some ideas.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You need to know the actual thread size before you start looking. Once you have that we can start making recommendations. Is it the nominal coarse thread of 3/8-16?

aprince48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 6 of these on my 275 gallon on a steel stand. A little pricey, but full stainless, and swiveling feet to work on not perfect floor. A little overkill, but good quality.

The size you'd need are a little cheaper, at least!

OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to know the actual thread size before you start looking. Once you have that we can start making recommendations. Is it the nominal coarse thread of 3/8-16?
I don’t know the thread count size, let me ask the fabricator.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For 3/8-16 thread you can order these

Whatever you buy, make sure it has clearly marked weight rating

OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends,

Please suggest me with ideas about how I go about leveling my Tank stand, please find the attached pictures.

The stand itself is made of 1.5 inch hollow tubing and it was custom made and I finished painting it in my balcony :), the little screw holes are welded on to the 6 vertical legs of the stand.
each of the hole is about 2" in length but the threading is only the height of the little square piece welded(see in the third picture ).

Now I live in an apartment with hardwood flooring but it is not perfectly flat and I ordered the custom stand with some sort of Leveling mount in my mind but I need help in choosing leveling mount that will handle the weight of 60" X 24" X 19" Acrylic(1/2" thick) tank and the steel stand, lets just put it as 2000Lbs.

The leveling mounts that I find online are either prohibitively expensive ( https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/l...se-dia-473-inchesh-1800-lbs-cap-304-ss?ref=42 )

can anyone suggest Leveling mounts that won't break my bank or am I better off with shims ?

IMG-5025.jpg
IMG-5026.jpg
IMG-5027.jpg
IMG-5028.jpg

Suresh Kumar
Hi everyone!
I got the details from Fanricator,

the thread is 3/8”-16

I can see McMaster ones give me more options but do not know if they will ship to Canada.

follow up question, is it safe to get swivel levelling feet or the fixed feet?

which ones work well for Aquariums and stands ?

please pour in your suggestions.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used x8 80/20 "2183 leveling glide" for my 350 gallon tank. The shaft is threaded 3/8-16, and pivots slightly. My stand is sitting directly on our hardwood floors.

20170107_095152.jpg

OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used x8 80/20 "2183 leveling glide" for my 350 gallon tank. The shaft is threaded 3/8-16, and pivots slightly. My stand is sitting directly on our hardwood floors.

20170107_095152.jpg
Thanks so much Jelazar, picture helps me a lot, I have got the parts shipped to me from US finally after weeks of waiting please have a look and let me know if I have everything .

should I be hand tightening the nut shown in the picture to adjust height and after tightening and leveling should I use any thread lock sprays/product ? Sorry for the basic questions I have no experience in mechanical things.

Attachments

• ED7E11C6-6C29-4980-978C-CCDFE0D5253B.jpeg
    ED7E11C6-6C29-4980-978C-CCDFE0D5253B.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 61270F80-E6FA-4600-9E6B-7A6128756C49.jpeg
    61270F80-E6FA-4600-9E6B-7A6128756C49.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Jelazar, picture helps me a lot, I have got the parts shipped to me from US finally after weeks of waiting please have a look and let me know if I have everything .

should I be hand tightening the nut shown in the picture to adjust height and after tightening and leveling should I use any thread lock sprays/product ? Sorry for the basic questions I have no experience in mechanical things.
More pics pre fitting in stand

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 35

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Friends,

IMG-5025.jpg
IMG-5026.jpg
IMG-5027.jpg
IMG-5028.jpg

Suresh Kumar
Is this typical how leveling feet’s are attached to stands? My fabricator wants to weld the nut directly to the stand VS threading. I’m assuming it’s easier for him to weld the nut but will it still be able to hold the weight?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Is this typical how leveling feet’s are attached to stands? My fabricator wants to weld the nut directly to the stand VS threading. I’m assuming it’s easier for him to weld the nut but will it still be able to hold the weight?

Guessing you're talking about steel stand - that's different.

Alu stand shown above has a "solid" core that is threaded, steel tubes are empty.

The way the OP has his stand built with welded steel stock is nice too - better than a nut welded to a tube.

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guessing you're talking about steel stand - that's different.

Alu stand shown above has a "solid" core that is threaded, steel tubes are empty.

The way the OP has his stand built with welded steel stock is nice too - better than a nut welded to a tube.
Sorry I was trying to reply to the OP first posting. I’m having a steel stand built and just trying to figure out the options for leveling feet and how they typical attached to the stand. Do most thread them and screw them in or are there other ways without compromising how much weight each foot can handle?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threaded blocks like the OPs stand are a very good method for a steel stand. They allow for proper thread engagement and spread the load to the walls of the tube. A welded in nut could be OK depending on how its done. Two things I would avoid are, any configuration where the weld itself is carrying the weight. Or the nut in the middle of a horizontal face of a thin wall tube.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry I was trying to reply to the OP first posting. I’m having a steel stand built and just trying to figure out the options for leveling feet and how they typical attached to the stand. Do most thread them and screw them in or are there other ways without compromising how much weight each foot can handle?

See #18 above, spot on.

OP
OP
suresh2989

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threaded blocks like the OPs stand are a very good method for a steel stand. They allow for proper thread engagement and spread the load to the walls of the tube. A welded in nut could be OK depending on how its done. Two things I would avoid are, any configuration where the weld itself is carrying the weight. Or the nut in the middle of a horizontal face of a thin wall tube.
Sorry for the late response, I have to agree the threaded setup allows for the weight to be spread along a bigger length than just a welded nut, also gives you more height flexibility if that makes sense when leveling.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back