OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the other industrial metal type of table we liked a lot but it is a little too narrow for comfort. About 20” on top with a 30” tank seems like it could be a disaster.

Attachments

• 99FC76D7-CBAA-4EF0-BEA3-1895EACDA104.jpeg
    99FC76D7-CBAA-4EF0-BEA3-1895EACDA104.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 52

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Powder coat will solve that issue. Steel car / trick wheels are generally powder coated to resist road salt and weather.

The steel provides the strength, the coating provides the longevity.
I kind of disagree with this. You're right - it RESISTS road salt and weather. But - a reef tank - to me - on steel - whether powder coated is asking for a problem - perhaps not right away - but in the future. here is a nice review. https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/why-do-parts-rust-after-powder-coating

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant beat this for coating steel. POR15
I used it on my 120.
Powder coating is very easy to scratch from my experience.
This is very easy to prep and apply.
You can coat right over rust if you want, I did not, as its a very strong industrial coating.
If by some reason you sctatch it you can easily touch it up.
20210212_123931.jpg

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping I could shim with under the flange feet legs but that may get challenging to balance it all out. I’m going to be on a dark tile floor, hoping to be able to blend in.
I would not worry about the load bearing capacity of the pipe as much as the weight distribution. most stands for a tank that size are not on legs but a full perimeter base that gives more even weight distribution. A quick calculation of tank and water comes in at almost 2000lbs. Not including rock. That's 500lbs per leg. Will the weight crack the tile? Don't know, just bringing it up. Also someone brought up lateral movement. If it was me I'd weld the threads just to be safe. it's over a ton. I've owned cars that didn't weigh that much:)

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not worry about the load bearing capacity of the pipe as much as the weight distribution. most stands for a tank that size are not on legs but a full perimeter base that gives more even weight distribution. A quick calculation of tank and water only comes in at almost 2000lbs. Not including rock. That's 500lbs per leg. Will the weight crack the tile? Don't know, just bringing it up. Also someone brought up lateral movement. If it was me I'd weld the threads just to be safe. it's over a ton. I've owned cars that didn't weigh that much:)
I'm not sure welding will prevent lateral movement. It would seem like you would need cross braces in the back

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back