Steph's First Reef Tank! (IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon)

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Bonded pair of black snowflake extremes. Super excited about them. They actually have quite a bit of blue around the edges of the black.

slimfl08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Bonded pair of black snowflake extremes. Super excited about them. They actually have quite a bit of blue around the edges of the black.

Just wanted to join the thread! I just picked up a 20 gallon Nuvo peninsula. So taking some notes! Setup looks great!

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New purple torch in my tank. I love it and the placement of it. Looks like it's getting two new heads already.
b1f2c1c2c55788a694e4812d84bd707b.jpg
4ed3c5835746a8d641a3deb35e4d5582.jpg
d52e75cb9da045b6c82c223e9c38bc6e.jpg

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my one torch ended up falling over and one of the tentacles got crushed causing brown jelly. I have managed to save half of the torch but was super sad...

Until I got this beauty today!
73a7be5677f2266c4345f20fdfbd1230.jpg

kaiimac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank is looking great! I am starting the same tank with the same Jager 75W heater, and it seems like the heater is too big for the back chamber. The water doesn't go all the way up to the minimum water line. How did you make it fit?

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in forever! The little torch in the photo above is still alive but I haven't found the perfect home for it yet. Right now its resting on the bottom to try to get it colored back up. I got some Duncan corals which are doing great and some candy canes that I feel like I need to reposition, as they aren't as open as I would like. Dealing with a bit of cyano, but nothing scary, its dying off.

Biggest issue one had is my AC broke! We've been without any air conditioning for almost a month, but thankfully my house stays around 80 degrees at all times, and I threw a fan on the surface to help keep it cooler. Its been working great so far, but I can't wait for my ac to be back.

5bea105fa3377933c8d5f5be399bc411.jpg

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank sure does look good. It appears you're approaching a 1 year anniversary with the tank. Any big plans moving forward with it?

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank sure does look good. It appears you're approaching a 1 year anniversary with the tank. Any big plans moving forward with it?

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I won some coral from aqua SD so there's a bunch of stuff that will be going into it in a couple weeks. Other than that, the usual itch to upgrade to a bigger one for more sand space and more fishes. I replaced the stock screen with the red sea screen kit which has let more light in. Only thing I'm thinking of maybe adding/changing is one of the pumps to a gyre as I'm going to have so many euphyllia and such.

WhalesLovePineapple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the light coverage. I have a nuvo 20 and am looking to buy a light for it - with the current usa fixture you have now, how happy are the corals?

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the light coverage. I have a nuvo 20 and am looking to buy a light for it - with the current usa fixture you have now, how happy are the corals?

The corals have been ok,I think a lot of why I've lost corals has been just my learning curve.

Updates- I lost my torch and hammer, my acans are doing good, as are one set of the duncans, the other one retracted and disappeared.

At some point something came with clove polyps on it, and the are taking over my tank, no matter how much I try to mow them back. At one point they were all over my sand.

My gramma also ate my cleaner shrimp.

At this point there are several things I'm not super happy with about my tank, but I have a plan to go forward.

This tank was always suppose to be my learning tank, and I've learned a lot with it, but a lot of what I've learned is what I really want from my tank.

We just did the floors in our room and have plans to redo the bathroom soon, at which point I'm going to move the tank to the bathroom hall which means I can have a longer tank, which will be good. Definitely want a sump this time around and though I like my current USA lights and pumps,I think I'll be upgrading to AI and Neros.

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some stressful months at work which meant I didn't put as much time into the tank as I wanted,I dealt with some pretty bad cyano everywhere. I just finished treating the tank, and after the chemo clean and a huge water change I put some AquaVitro Rejuvenation in to help the bacteria, as well as a new batch of algaebarn pods. I'm hoping that doing these steps prevents the cyano from coming back, as well as me being able to keep on top of a better husbandry schedule.

I need more corals for the tank now. My acans are doing great and so are my duncans (a little closed up due to the treatment), but I lost my hammer and torch awhile ago. I also lost my amazing cleaner shrimp when my royal gramma decided it was in his space and bit his head off.

I'm also in the process of planning out my next build with a bigger tank and sump. I want to be able to more easily access my equipment, and more space to spread out my stuff. Considering trading in the gramma for something less territorial, as its killed a lot of what I've tried to add in the last bit.

8DDAB90B-95C4-423A-AD3B-8C150CDA134A.jpeg 158724EA-F97B-4A00-940C-88BFD20662DD.jpeg

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering trading in the gramma for something less territorial, as its killed a lot of what I've tried to add in the last bit.
Nice tank. I am also in the process of setting up a nano and was considering a gramma. What else did it kill besides your shrimp? Based on what you are saying (and what I read elsewhere) perhaps it is not such a good fit for a nano.

OP
OP
Chrysantha

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He killed a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp/diamond goby pair. He's also dumps sand on my acans and zoas regularly. I love his colors. I just don't like how he doesn't share. He's been totally fine with my clowns however, doesn't give them any issues.

I'm hoping if I get a bigger tank and add him last he will be less territorial over the whole tank (he has 3 nesting spots built in mine) so I can have some of the other inhabitants, but I may need to swap him out for the gobys I want.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back