Steve's Led settings for a 32 nano

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there have a 32 gallon nano (bio cube or red sea) with the Steve's Led upgrade? I'm still new to this and I'm trying to tune the lighting.

I'm running a Red sea c-130. Right now the lights are set to 1000 (25%) on the white and 2000 (50%) on the blue. 75 minute ramp up starting at 11:30 and ramp down starting at 7:30.

I know that it is easier to kill a coral with too much light as opposed to too little, so I am erring on the low side.

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Steve’s on my BioCube. I followed the acclimation guide except started with whites at 25% and blues at 35%. I’m leaving like that for 3 weeks then bumping up 1% a day till my target level

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I lost my pink lemonade this morning. Last night it was all pink, this morning it was bleached and the flesh was all gone.

My coral guy told me the Steve's LED white channel has too much red and green. He said some corals are more sensitive than others, the PL was the closest to the light. I had it at 25%, he suggested 10-15%. I set it to 500 (12%). After that, my night stalker (which had been struggling) started popping polyps. I'll keep an eye on everything. The blue remains at about 55%.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have them on the wife's 32 Biocube. Right now channel 1 (whites) are set for 46% and channel 2 (blue) are at 45%. We are still bumping up daily about 1 to 2%. The folks at Steve's said the lights are delivered at about the same power as the stock biocube LEDs. So far everything seems to be happy. Only time will tell.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since dropping the white to 500, everything seems to be flourishing. The night stalker is coming back (it was a close call there) and trachy inflates maybe 50% more than before. I don't know why my white channel is so powerful that it was killing stuff at 25%.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights on a 66 gal (rs max c250). Channel one on mine is blues and they are now at 70 during daylight, channel 2 whites are at 46. Will prob. turn blues down to 65 as tank is too purple for my taste

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed that white led lighting is just very strong on corals. I have a radion g4, for example I can go 100% on the 3 diff blue channels with no problem, in fact my corals love that. If I go above 35% on the white channel I start to see a decline. I can only imagine how many people start off at 50% or more white and fry a bunch of corals thinking 50% seems low. The percent idea is misleading to me anyway.

rcdreef2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start much lower on whites if you have softies in your tank. I’ve been having issues with mine. I had it set at 1200 white 1400 blue to begin with. Several large colonies of zoas have been closed up for several weeks now, even though I dropped the whites to 400 after noticing the problem starting, I’m wondering if the zoas are dead or if they’ll come back... the whites on these lights are powerful! Be careful.

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I lost my pink lemonade this morning. Last night it was all pink, this morning it was bleached and the flesh was all gone.

My coral guy told me the Steve's LED white channel has too much red and green. He said some corals are more sensitive than others, the PL was the closest to the light. I had it at 25%, he suggested 10-15%. I set it to 500 (12%). After that, my night stalker (which had been struggling) started popping polyps. I'll keep an eye on everything. The blue remains at about 55%.
How are your corals doing now. Still at the same setting. I have the same lights and I would like to know what has worked out for you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are your corals doing now. Still at the same setting. I have the same lights and I would like to know what has worked out for you.
My son has never reached peak settings on his. Those lights grow anything, but dialed way back. I think his are at 30%

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are at 2300 on the blues (56%) and the whites are around 400 (10%). My lights are fairly new so only time will tell.
I'm about the same. I have the blues at 2900-3000, whites at about 100. I like the way it looks with the blues, when I turn the whites up it starts to wash out the fluorescence.

The corals are all doing well. I don't really have any SPS. My spa grows like crazy, then dies. I don't know why, but it's not the light. If it was the light, they wouldn't grow at all.

LPS, shrooms, nems, zoas are all growing and splitting.

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about the same. I have the blues at 2900-3000, whites at about 100. I like the way it looks with the blues, when I turn the whites up it starts to wash out the fluorescence.

The corals are all doing well. I don't really have any SPS. My spa grows like crazy, then dies. I don't know why, but it's not the light. If it was the light, they wouldn't grow at all.

That sounds great. I’d love to see a picture and the placement of your corals

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a picture tomorrow. I need to use my DSLR because the phone can't handle the blues and it looks really poor.
I take picture of mine with my phone and I really need to get a lens cause your right about it not being able to handle the blues.

B1159D4D-DF9A-4BE7-BA55-278ADA8A9E5D.jpeg

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Jason, these are the settings you have on the 32 bio cube upgrade by Steve Sled right? I went with the original settings suggested in their PDF. I have increased a little at a time, and since found out if you increase blue you need to decrease white. My settings right now are 1&3 at 1690, 2&4 at 845. I have slowly adjusted to get the whites down since they were way too high which explains why I have lost or bleached out corals. After seeing your post I see I still need to keep lowering my whites and increasing the blues. I am so glad I found your post. Thank you.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back