steves slow 700

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my thread for my 700 reef. I started the tank back in 2011 but after getting the tank in place and rock in it I was injured and unable to keep going on the reef. this led to a diversion into vivariums and back into planted fresh water west African tank. for about the last 18 months I have been working hard to get my reef back into shape. I may go back and dig up some old pics to show the improvement but for now here are pics of the reef tonight.

mjk250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank, with that size and shape it looks like it would be in a zoo.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
131x36x36. will be trying to get some pics up by the weekend.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is low iron glass on 2 sides and it is 3/4 inch thick. built by glass cages.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been too long since I posted. I have been redoing the tank room and the sump set up. have that nearly done now and the corals for recovering enough to show some tank pics. still getting some acro die off, bleaching, and tip burn that I think is due to all the changing parameters during the redo. on to the pics

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out what kind of tang that is for a couple years now. I bought it as Ctenochaetus cf striatus but it never really looked like one to me. to uniformly grey. if anyone has a good answer I would love to hear what people think it is.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to change over to imgur but it seems to be working well. here are some updates. things are settling in after this winters equipment room redo.
st3PsX9.jpg

qcrAmT7.jpg

FYoGih6.jpg

4j5wmLa.jpg

AJxbIgy.jpg

ljcyrig.jpg

deB7unH.jpg

will try to get some pics this evening when the equipment room lights go on.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. took a few years to get close. still need a few years of growth to make it look the way I want it too. need to stop adding stuff and just leave it alone. 3 new shipments coming in this week and then I'm done with additions until the winter frag swap season. I think I will get working on my 300 fw planted set up to keep me busy.

OP
OP
S

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling high nitrate in both my reef and fw set up. my reef tank has slowly risen to 35 ppm no3, while my fw planted tank is up around 80 ppm. i decided to test my ro water today before I change out all the filters and di resin. I was surprised to see that it was at 15 ppm. just to see how little no3 my rodi was removing I then tested my tap water. I was stunned to see a dark red 160 ppm result. now I'm off to get my well professionally tested and will have to see what can be done about those levels. I am in a rural area but I have not seen any wells testing this high for nitrate. the bright spot in all of this is that my reef tank alerted me to a significant health threat.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back