Still haven’t beat Chrysophytes

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I initially thought I had Dinos and with my microscope and help on a Dino ID group on Facebook realized it was Chrysophytes. I treated for Dinos by dirtying the tank for over a month before I got my microscope when I realized it was chrysophytes I found a thread explaining at 24 hour GFO regiment to drop silicates and beat the chrysophytes. Unfortunately I did not have any luck with this attempt. I’m debating trying a 3 day black out and vibrant at this point and looking for help. I’m also growing some other nuisance algae more than likely due to keeping the tank dirty to avoid Dino. Any and all advice is appreciated ! What should I do ?! Attached is a photo of the new nuisance algae forming on my rock and links to my ID thread.

5C9EB38F-E6D5-4AE9-B9B4-1B083E3CC9C8.jpeg

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the algae causing problems other than not looking pretty? I have a similar brown, slightly fuzzy turfy looking algae in my tank. I've never known what it was. It's been around for a couple months. It's never caused any issues and has recently started receding.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the algae causing problems other than not looking pretty? I have a similar brown, slightly fuzzy turfy looking algae in my tank. I've never known what it was. It's been around for a couple months. It's never caused any issues and has recently started receding.
I’m not as concerned with the algae as I am with the Chrysophytes. I mainly wanted to share that pic for reference in hopes it may help in some way.

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not as concerned with the algae as I am with the Chrysophytes. I mainly wanted to share that pick for reference in hopes it may help in some way.
First off... I'm recently back in the hobby, so take anything I say with a huge grain of salt.

I googled Chrysophytes and found it to look very similar to something I've had in my tank. I guess the pic you attached is of something different? It's blurry, so hard to tell.

My tank is a little younger than yours, I believe. I've seen a lot of algae come and go without any intervention other maybe some CUC members. I guess what I'm saying is maybe just roll with it for now...? But again I'm inexperienced. Maybe Chrysophytes are a huge threat that need to be dealt with.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off... I'm recently back in the hobby, so take anything I say with a huge grain of salt.

I googled Chrysophytes and found it to look very similar to something I've had in my tank. I guess the pic you attached is of something different? It's blurry, so hard to tell.

My tank is a little younger than yours, I believe. I've seen a lot of algae come and go without any intervention other maybe some CUC members. I guess what I'm saying is maybe just roll with it for now...? But again I'm inexperienced. Maybe Chrysophytes are a huge threat that need to be dealt with.
Thanks for your input! Yeah so the picture itself doesn’t show my chrysophyte issue it just shows the new algae for reference. My chrysophyte issues should show in the thread attachment. I have not figured out the whole tank photo thing yet so my apologies.

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it and vibrant wiped it out for me. Also affected coralline and coral as well though so be careful. That was the only thing that actually killed it for me though. I tried waiting it out with manual removal and it just hung around. Vibrant nuked it quite nicely.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input! Yeah so the picture itself doesn’t show my chrysophyte issue it just shows the new algae for reference. My chrysophyte issues should show in the thread attachment. I have not figured out the whole tank photo thing yet so my apologies.
I apologize. I didn't notice the link to the other thread.

I've had something similar in my tank for months. Reddish brown and fuzzy with bubbles. There were a few times it was stringy and very dino like. I never used a microscope. It didn't look great, but never bothered anything that I could tell. I didn't do anything other than regular husbandry and keeping nutrients in check. Within the last week or two it's been thinning out.

Best of luck to you, whichever approach you take.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it and vibrant wiped it out for me. Also affected coralline and coral as well though so be careful. That was the only thing that actually killed it for me though. I tried waiting it out with manual removal and it just hung around. Vibrant nuked it quite nicely.
Thanks I believe it was you posting on my other thread that made me think about this treatment. That is my main concern, I have heard Vibrant is harsh and I don’t want to kill any of my coral. Did it just stress yours or kill them?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mexican turbos that eat it and really clear any spots where they are feeding. Problem is they can't be every where at once. While they are working on one spot, the stuff is growing unchecked in others. I periodically manually scrub. It comes off pretty easy. When it's too close to corals for scrubbing I turn off all pumps, and using a syringe, spray about 10 ml of peroxide at the spot. This is especially effective around zoas.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had something similar in my tank for months. Reddish brown and fuzzy with bubbles. There were a few times it was stringy and very dino like. I never used a microscope. It didn't look great, but never bothered anything that I could tell. I didn't do anything other than regular husbandry and keeping nutrients in check. Within the last week or two it's been thinning out.

I have been pretty patient with most things but this stuff doesn’t slow down.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled these for what seemed like forever. Fron what I remember about them, they use silica to form their body. You may want to have an icp test done.

I tried everything imaginable. It's been a while now but I'm 99% sure the thing that worked was dosing vibrant. I followed exactly what it said on the bottle, within 2 weeks they were gone.. This did cause some cyano issues.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This seems like cyano. Typically caused my high phosphates. I keep chemiclean on hand for cyano because it works very well.

You can find directions for chemiclean online but I take my skimmer cup off and let it bubble over into the sump. The directions typ say to add an air stone, I've found the skimmer trick works

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, worked for me also. I used as directed and my corals were fine. You do need to remove your chaeto because it will get wiped out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on chrysophytes and even a little calothrix.
You must scrub this stuff off with a firm brush and peroxide and fine tune clean with a firm toothbrush. After scrubbing, add some chitons and even a pin cushion urchin which should stay on top of cleaning this rock

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like cyano. Typically caused my high phosphates. I keep chemiclean on hand for cyano because it works very well.

You can find directions for chemiclean online but I take my skimmer cup off and let it bubble over into the sump. The directions typ say to add an air stone, I've found the skimmer trick works
I have some small patches of cyano on my rocks. It's pretty recognizable and easily blown away. I don't do anything to treat that either. What I'm describing above is different. But this thread isn't about me!

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me, and Id'd via microscope, which you've done and that's great.

So, it sucks. Here's how I beat them.

If your params are showing N03=0 and P04=0, then here's what I did (in order of priority)

1) dose Nitrates. Search for Randy's recipe on R2R. I used tree stump remover recipe.

2) dose phosphates - I used Neophos.

3) Check your RODI setup. I had high silcates so I added a couple extra resin stages.

4) Get a UV sterilizer, something cheap like the CoralVue Turbo Twist.. Anything will help kill them while they float around at night. Once it's gone, you can turn off and sell it or whatever.

5) Get some snails. Trochus snails seemed to eat some of the Chrysos, but not all. But the did do some amazing work.

Keep in mind, this will not fix it overnight. I would say you have three months of waiting for good to happen. Be patient.

I know it seems like a lot, but it helps.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me, and Id'd via microscope, which you've done and that's great.

If your params are showing N03=0 and P04=0, then here's what I did (in order of priority)

1) dose Nitrates. Search for Randy's recipe on R2R. I used tree stump remover recipe.

3) Check your RODI setup. I had high silcates so I added a couple extra resin stages.

4) Get a UV sterilizer, something cheap like the CoralVue Turbo Twist.. Anything will help kill them while they float around at night. Once it's gone, you can turn off and sell it or whatever.

5) Get some snails. Trochus snails seemed to eat some of the Chrysos, but not all. But the did do some amazing work.

Keep in mind, this will not fix it overnight. I would say you have three months of waiting for good to happen. Be patient.

Good luck!
Thank you! I was thinking the RODI Unit might be the cause of silicates as well and I bought a test and it didn’t show any in my tank nor in my RODI water. From what I have read most test kits you can buy are junk. I have ran an ICP as recent as January before the issue and my silicates did not register in a red category. I just sent out another test so hopefully that will have some answers as well.

Also I have done everything on your list except I use NeoNitro and have not introduced an snails. Maybe I will try and find some new CUC members

Last edited:

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I believe it was you posting on my other thread that made me think about this treatment. That is my main concern, I have heard Vibrant is harsh and I don’t want to kill any of my coral. Did it just stress yours or kill them
Really just the acros I had were affected. Everything else did ok. The acros started to STN from the base. I lost a couple, but also a few pulled through. I would just be super careful and start low if you’re going to try it. Like I said it was frustrating as hell and maybe my tank would have made it through on its own, but I got sick of looking at the mess.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just beat this. 3 day blackout, gfo, carbon, stopped dosing phosphate. Almost all of it evacuated the tank and clogged a sock on night 2. Skimmer went nuts. Stripping the silicate and blackout was key imo. Will need to do round 2 of treatment tomorrow because it's coming back slowly. Wasn't tough to beat, just had to know what I was fighting. Very limited info available.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
I just beat this. 3 day blackout, gfo, carbon, stopped dosing phosphate. Almost all of it evacuated the tank and clogged a sock on night 2. Skimmer went nuts. Stripping the silicate and blackout was key imo. Will need to do round 2 of treatment tomorrow because it's coming back slowly. Wasn't tough to beat, just had to know what I was fighting. Very limited info available.
100% I found very little on it as well

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back