Still worried about my seams...

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have made several seam threads and cannot stop thinking about this. I keep looking at my seams and I think there is something wrong or that they are going to fail somehow. A week ago I had a snail barely eat through the very top of a corner seam where barely any water is but I am still worried about that. I don't really know why I'm so worried it is a 65G marineland but it is a tall variant. Any tips or advice?
#reefsquad

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have made several seam threads and cannot stop thinking about this. I keep looking at my seams and I think there is something wrong or that they are going to fail somehow. A week ago I had a snail barely eat through the very top of a corner seam where barely any water is but I am still worried about that. I don't really know why I'm so worried it is a 65G marineland but it is a tall variant. Any tips or advice?
#reefsquad
Can you post photos of the seams please? Not everyone may have seen your other posts.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I'm 14 y/o so I have no control over an Amazon or any sort of online ordering site. (plus money).
Try to relax. Worrying about something that may not happen causes unnecessary stress. Try to quit reading about failed seems and enjoy your tank. Your only other option would be to shut it down. You'll no longer have a tank to enjoy but you could stop worrying ;)

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the majority of seam failures start as very small leaks, catastrophic failure is few and far between. I bought a used 150g and had the same worries, have since given up the stress. It is more than likely that you will be able to catch any seam problems before the entire tank explodes

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
As long as you know the tank is level, just try to relax and enjoy it. Keep an eye on things daily, but don't stress unless you know you have something to stress about. As others on here have said, most seam issues present themselves as slight leaks first. A catastrophic failure would be more inline with the tank not being level. Even then, it would be over time, not instantly.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you know the tank is level, just try to relax and enjoy it. Keep an eye on things daily, but don't stress unless you know you have something to stress about. As others on here have said, most seam issues present themselves as slight leaks first. A catastrophic failure would be more inline with the tank not being level. Even then, it would be over time, not instantly.
I am using the Marineland stand and it is very stable+flat. I fill the tank up above that top black line that you can see In my pfp should I be doing that? Not to where its overflowing I have it to where I can do maintenance and water does not overflow.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 gallon marineland tank is 18 years old.. Its been a freshwater tank, then a saltwater tank, its been moved about 6 times over the years. And I'm rough with my stuff, cheap equipment doesn't last long with me. Today, its my seahorse tank, and I have no concerns. Hope this helps....

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 gallon marineland tank is 18 years old.. Its been a freshwater tank, then a saltwater tank, its been moved about 6 times over the years. And I'm rough with my stuff, cheap equipment doesn't last long with me. Today, its my seahorse tank, and I have no concerns. Hope this helps....
Wow that's crazy. So do Marineland tanks have good silicon?

Zeefishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
If u can drain the water lower then where the damage is ,silicone it
and clamp it from the outside for a few days,
Don't over clamp it .

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Marineland stand and it is very stable+flat. I fill the tank up above that top black line that you can see In my pfp should I be doing that? Not to where its overflowing I have it to where I can do maintenance and water does not overflow.
Yes, you should be fine with that, I do the same. Just make sure your tank is level, and you will be fine. When it is not quite level, as you can imagine, it puts undue pressure on one pane of glass.

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the issue between the panes of glass or just the bead? There are 2 parts to the silicone in your tank. The part that matters is between the panes of glass. The bead around the corner is more to protect the seam and for cosmetics. If the damage is to the bead, it won't impact the structural integrity of the the seam.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming he will clean that area of the old silicone exposing an area of glass so the new silicone can grab
He will also need to remove the silicone between the panes. All of this will not improve the tank's integrity. If they went with the silicone option, OP would need to remove the entire pane, cleane it up, then reseal it.

We also have no idea what the silicone actually looks like. It could be completely fine and normal 'wear n tear'

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He will also need to remove the silicone between the panes. All of this will not improve the tank's integrity. If they went with the silicone option, OP would need to remove the entire pane, cleane it up, then reseal it.

We also have no idea what the silicone actually looks like. It could be completely fine and normal 'wear n tear'
Agreed. I'm only guessing but I suspect the damage is to the silicone bead. If so, normal wear & tear. If that is the case, probably would do more harm than good trying to fix if OP starts cutting out silicone, etc. I'd leave it alone.

OP, how about snapping some pics?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the issue between the panes of glass or just the bead? There are 2 parts to the silicone in your tank. The part that matters is between the panes of glass. The bead around the corner is more to protect the seam and for cosmetics. If the damage is to the bead, it won't impact the structural integrity of the the seam.
The corner connecting the panes.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back