Stn/rtn possible tank crashing help needed

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as informative as possible.

I am having random corals start to stn/rtn out of nowhere starting from about a week ago. It always starts from the base and moves up toward the tips. It started with a ora red planet, I removed and fragged it, cut well into healthy tissue but the next day it kept rtning from the base to the tips till it was dead. There was a blue/turquoise stag that was next to the red planet and the bases were touching, that was the next one to rtn, starting from the base where it was touching the red planet. Today it was a purple stylo and several other smaller acro frags have started to have stn/rtn on the bases. So far I have lost/started to lose 3 large baseball to vollyball sized colonies and 8 - 1 to 3 inch frags. I will attach some photos.

I have around 15 fish, I dont know if its related but my yellow tang mysteriously died yesterday, the day before he was eating/acting normal, I've had him for years & lived thru several tank upgrades. I feed pretty heavily, mix of mysis/brine and lrs reef frenzy, 2 to 3 half sheets of nori per day.

Everything looks healthy, even the corals that are dying, polyps are out and colors look good, I have been cutting them trying to save anything I can but the rtn continues to progress regardless. I've also dipped in witch hazel at a ratio of 10ml per liter and it does not seem to help. Today I have tried dipping in lugols at a ratio of 30 drops per gallon. I have some amoxicillin on the way and will try that next. I have also dipped in coralrx to check for pests. I have put in a poly filter yesterday and also checked all powerheads/magnets for rust. I had a icp test done a month or two ago and had nothing out of range/issues/heavy metals, I had another one sent out a few days ago when my issues started but have not received the results yet.

Changes I have made

Running a line outdoors to the skimmer air intake, filtered thru activated carbon. I started that about a week ago but I have disconnected that today just in case it may be pulling something in.

Switching brands of lanathium Chloride from brightwell to atm agent green. I have noticed that this brand is cloudy instead of clear but works the same as the brightwell brand, adjusting for dose.

System has been setup for about a year, upgraded to a 180 from a 120 that was running successfully for a couple years.

Parameters are :

180 gallon and 90 gallon sump
Total volume around 200 gallons
Carbon 24/7 in a reactor
Skimmer
36 watt uv
Sulfur denitrator

Temp 79F
Salinity 1.025 refractometer
Ph 8.1-8.3 ph probe
Kh 8.0-8.3 salifert
Cal 400-420ppm salifert
Mag 1200ppm salifert
No3 2-5ppm salifert
Po4 40-50ppb hanna ulr
Potassium 400ppm salifert
Iodide ~0.01 salifert

These parameters have been stable at these levels since upgrading last year.

Things I dose

Seachem iodide 8 drops per day
Reef moonshiners iron supplement 2 drops per day
Reef moonshiners rubidium 10 drops per day
Lanathium Chloride when needed with 5 micron filter socks
Acropower 10ml/day
Red sea energy a/b 15ml each per day
Reef roids 1/2 tsp/day
Brs alk/cal/mag on a doser
Kz flatworm stop
Vibrant 20ml once a week
Carbon dose 1.5 tsp sodium ascorbate (vit c) 2x/day

I started @PSXerholic reef moonshiners about 2 months ago and my tank has never looked better/healthier.

I have also changed out about 80 gallons of water since I started having issues and I dont think it has helped. It is also affecting corals in completely different parts of the tank, minus the 2 that were touching, the stylo was on the far right side of the tank, red planet/stag in the center, frags were in various parts of my rock, on a rack and in a frag section of my sump.

20200629_173538.jpg
20200629_173534.jpg
20200629_173525.jpg
20200626_152823.jpg

#reefsquad

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I use reef crystals with 0tds rodi. Lighting is 3x250w pheonix 14k metal halide, 6x54w ati blue plus, 6x54w royal blue/uv only led bars. AI hydra26 over half the frags and a 150w 14k pheonix over the other half. I do not believe this has anything to do with my source water/lighting, have been using since tank was started up, I was and still am getting good growth and colors aside from the pieces that are starting to rtn.

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as informative as possible.

I am having random corals start to stn/rtn out of nowhere starting from about a week ago. It always starts from the base and moves up toward the tips. It started with a ora red planet, I removed and fragged it, cut well into healthy tissue but the next day it kept rtning from the base to the tips till it was dead. There was a blue/turquoise stag that was next to the red planet and the bases were touching, that was the next one to rtn, starting from the base where it was touching the red planet. Today it was a purple stylo and several other smaller acro frags have started to have stn/rtn on the bases. So far I have lost/started to lose 3 large baseball to vollyball sized colonies and 8 - 1 to 3 inch frags. I will attach some photos.

I have around 15 fish, I dont know if its related but my yellow tang mysteriously died yesterday, the day before he was eating/acting normal, I've had him for years & lived thru several tank upgrades. I feed pretty heavily, mix of mysis/brine and lrs reef frenzy, 2 to 3 half sheets of nori per day.

Everything looks healthy, even the corals that are dying, polyps are out and colors look good, I have been cutting them trying to save anything I can but the rtn continues to progress regardless. I've also dipped in witch hazel at a ratio of 10ml per liter and it does not seem to help. Today I have tried dipping in lugols at a ratio of 30 drops per gallon. I have some amoxicillin on the way and will try that next. I have also dipped in coralrx to check for pests. I have put in a poly filter yesterday and also checked all powerheads/magnets for rust. I had a icp test done a month or two ago and had nothing out of range/issues/heavy metals, I had another one sent out a few days ago when my issues started but have not received the results yet.

Changes I have made

Running a line outdoors to the skimmer air intake, filtered thru activated carbon. I started that about a week ago but I have disconnected that today just in case it may be pulling something in.

Switching brands of lanathium Chloride from brightwell to atm agent green. I have noticed that this brand is cloudy instead of clear but works the same as the brightwell brand, adjusting for dose.

System has been setup for about a year, upgraded to a 180 from a 120 that was running successfully for a couple years.

Parameters are :

180 gallon and 90 gallon sump
Total volume around 200 gallons
Carbon 24/7 in a reactor
Skimmer
36 watt uv
Sulfur denitrator

Temp 79F
Salinity 1.025 refractometer
Ph 8.1-8.3 ph probe
Kh 8.0-8.3 salifert
Cal 400-420ppm salifert
Mag 1200ppm salifert
No3 2-5ppm salifert
Po4 40-50ppb hanna ulr
Potassium 400ppm salifert
Iodide ~0.01 salifert

These parameters have been stable at these levels since upgrading last year.

Things I dose

Seachem iodide 8 drops per day
Reef moonshiners iron supplement 2 drops per day
Reef moonshiners rubidium 10 drops per day
Lanathium Chloride when needed with 5 micron filter socks
Acropower 10ml/day
Red sea energy a/b 15ml each per day
Reef roids 1/2 tsp/day
Brs alk/cal/mag on a doser
Kz flatworm stop
Vibrant 20ml once a week
Carbon dose 1.5 tsp sodium ascorbate (vit c) 2x/day

I started @PSXerholic reef moonshiners about 2 months ago and my tank has never looked better/healthier.

I have also changed out about 80 gallons of water since I started having issues and I dont think it has helped. It is also affecting corals in completely different parts of the tank, minus the 2 that were touching, the stylo was on the far right side of the tank, red planet/stag in the center, frags were in various parts of my rock, on a rack and in a frag section of my sump.

20200629_173538.jpg
20200629_173534.jpg
20200629_173525.jpg
20200626_152823.jpg

#reefsquad
The only guess I would say is that the corals touched and the red planet stung the other acro or the other way around. Your parameters are fine, mag is a little low but that would have not caused the issue. I would suggest to have all the healthy acros taken and put them away from the rtn acros because I have had an experiance that rtn acro speead it to a helathy acro and as soon as I put them very far away from each other the healthy one stayed healthy and did not get the rtn. And try dipping them in coral rx you will see the difference, it slows the proccess

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bases had been touching for several months, with each trying to grow over the other but neither actually overgrowing the other, kind of a stalemate I guess. I have attached a photo before the rtn happened. The red planet went first and the stag was unaffected/healthy. The next day or two after the red planet died the stag started to rtn from the bottom right side of the base, the 2 frags that are rtning is all that's left of it right now. It even has its polyps out right now while its rtning. Have you had any success with coralrx helping with stn/rtn issues?

20200609_142546.jpg

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bases had been touching for several months, with each trying to grow over the other but neither actually overgrowing the other, kind of a stalemate I guess. I have attached a photo before the rtn happened. The red planet went first and the stag was unaffected/healthy. The next day or two after the red planet died the stag started to rtn from the bottom right side of the base, the 2 frags that are rtning is all that's left of it right now. It even has its polyps out right now while its rtning. Have you had any success with coralrx helping with stn/rtn issues?

20200609_142546.jpg
There you go you just answered your own question. Acros tend to get really stressed when they don't have any more room to grow so they get either stressed out after some period of time in your case after several months or start battling for the spot which causes to sting other acros for the spot and the downhill starts from there. As soon as you see them them getting close or there foots are about to touch frag them before they touch, always have them about 2 inches apart, if they grow closer frag them. Thats just my experience and don't take my advice as a rule but just consider my advice and I hope you win this battle against rtn. Keep us updated

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,sorry to hear,agree w dipping and separation ,frag into good tissue remove bad,best wishes... #reefsquad

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two that were touching I can understand but all the other random ones that were healthy/not touching I can't figure out. It's still ongoing, a hour ago I found another one that had started to rtn from the base but yesterday it was healthy with no signs of stress.

Has anyone used amoxicillin/ampicillin dip to treat rtn/stn successfully? Would there be any issues with dosing the tank with it?

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two that were touching I can understand but all the other random ones that were healthy/not touching I can't figure out. It's still ongoing, a hour ago I found another one that had started to rtn from the base but yesterday it was healthy with no signs of stress.

Has anyone used amoxicillin/ampicillin dip to treat rtn/stn successfully? Would there be any issues with dosing the tank with it?

If you have a forest of sticks or acros (from the pic I saw in the top) it just takes one acro to get rtn and the rest just goes downhill the same way, that is why I am saying to seperate the healthy ones from the rtn acros.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have close to 100 acros all over the tank & in a frag section in my sump. How would you seperate them? I don't have another system setup but might be able to setup something basic/smaller. Or did you mean to just remove/throw away the dying ones?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you the best. This must be incredibly frustrating as I know it has been for me not able to even successfully start up an sps tank without losing them in 2 months. Best of luck!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes frag off live tissue,remove dead from system,when cutting sacrifice 1/8"live away from bad,remove as much as poss
@Pedoconfuego ?? any insight,thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes frag off live tissue,remove dead from system,when cutting sacrifice 1/8"live away from bad,remove as much as poss
@Pedoconfuego ?? any insight,thanks
I've been cutting way farther in than 1/8", closer to 1/2 to 3/4" and remounting with superglue/epoxy. The rtn still ends up coming. I have tried cutting just the tips off leaving a 1 to 2 inch frag and they end up dying as well. It's like once a piece starts to rtn, no matter what I do to it, it ends up dying within a day or two.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have you dipped ,or looked at night w flashlight ,for red/black bugs,acro spiders?

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird, do you think it could be the carbon? Maybe you should shut it off.. see if it gets better.
I don't think so, I run it mostly to keep the water clear, brs dual jumbo reactor filled with 1 cup rox carbon, replaced every 1 to 2 weeks. I actually put fresh carbon in and more than usual yesterday to see if maybe it would absorb whatever it is that's causing the stn/rtn. I've never heard of carbon causing it.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have exhausted all my ideas,and members i think can help that i know of ,best wishes,they will come,following,

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back