Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without reading the article I can tell you that I have experimented with this idea in the past. Long story short- About a year ago I had some sort of infection wiping out my Birdsnest, then it appeared on my Monti's and then it moved to some of my Acros. They were RTNing pretty fast so I knew I had to try something or I would lose them all. Since Birdsnest is easy and cheap I tried it first and it worked. So, I pulled them out and gave them a short soak in a freshwater fish antibiotic mixed with tank water followed by a soak in clean saltwater to rinse. I did it for 3 days straight and it went away. I did lose tissue but I didn't lose a complete colony. The RTN event stopped on all of them. Technically the first time I tried this was with a brown jelly incident on Acans several years ago. That is truely where this started for me. I knew that brown jelly was easily spread and deadly so I really had nothing to lose. Now, if I see some sort of infection happening to a coral I inspect for pests first, if nothing is discovered, antibiotics dip is next.

John

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without reading the article I can tell you that I have experimented with this idea in the past. Long story short- About a year ago I had some sort of infection wiping out my Birdsnest, then it appeared on my Monti's and then it moved to some of my Acros. They were RTNing pretty fast so I knew I had to try something or I would lose them all. Since Birdsnest is easy and cheap I tried it first and it worked. So, I pulled them out and gave them a short soak in a freshwater fish antibiotic mixed with tank water followed by a soak in clean saltwater to rinse. I did it for 3 days straight and it went away. I did lose tissue but I didn't lose a complete colony. The RTN event stopped on all of them. Technically the first time I tried this was with a brown jelly incident on Acans several years ago. That is truely where this started for me. I knew that brown jelly was easily spread and deadly so I really had nothing to lose. Now, if I see some sort of infection happening to a coral I inspect for pests first, if nothing is discovered, antibiotics dip is next.

John

Can you share what antibiotics that you used? I would like to try this

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, this seems like it would work very well! I hope there is a product out soon. It is to bad that it wouldn't work well in the wild thpugh[emoji20]

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share what antibiotics that you used? I would like to try this

I chose Furan 2 because it is effective on gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. The ratio I use is 1 packet of Furan2 to 40 oz of tank water. I have tried lower amounts of water but this seems to work and it may be a little less stressful for the coral. I know 1/1 ratio is what I was taught for Zoa Pox. That is pretty harsh. SPS being easier to kill made me go with a weaker solution.
The ratio for treating freshwater fish is 1 packet to 10 Gallons. I'm doing 1 packet to 5 cups.

John

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti Cap Infection pre dip
2.jpg

4.jpg

few months post dips
6.jpg

now
9.jpg

Scripps Acro Pre-dip
7.jpg

Scripps today
8.jpg

John

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose Furan 2 because it is effective on gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases. The ratio I use is 1 packet of Furan2 to 40 oz of tank water. I have tried lower amounts of water but this seems to work and it may be a little less stressful for the coral. I know 1/1 ratio is what I was taught for Zoa Pox. That is pretty harsh. SPS being easier to kill made me go with a weaker solution.
The ratio for treating freshwater fish is 1 packet to 10 Gallons. I'm doing 1 packet to 5 cups.

John

What was the amount of time that you soaked the corals? Thank you for sharing, I have a couple of sps frags I will try this on.

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the amount of time that you soaked the corals? Thank you for sharing, I have a couple of sps frags I will try this on.
Do it at your own risk you never know how a coral will react. Keep in mind this is experimental and I wouldn't try it unless you truly believe that doing nothing will result in death. I don't want to be responsible for the death of your coral if there is an adverse reaction. But to answer your question I did 5 minutes the first day, and 10 minutes the next 2 days. I had no starting point to base my experiments on. That includes duration, i.e the times are experimental too. I kept a very close eye on them the whole time and was continually blasting them with a turkey baster to blow off any "loose" tissue that hadn't come off yet. My plan was to watch the coral closely to make sure it wasn't going to RTN completly. If I thought it was, I was going to rinse it immediately in a container of tank water. EVERYTHING was set up prior to the coral coming out of the water.

I have 2 containers from HD or Lowes (I don't remember) that I use for tank stuff. One is labeled DIP in black letters. It is strictly for dips, nothing else...ever. The other container is for rinsing.

I don't get on here very often so I don't know how to write an article or if I can. I will give it some thought. I may write this whole thing up with pictures.

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with stn all from the base up, and all on old growth and fresh cut frags. Sending water in for testing, but everything is testing here looks within perimeters. Aside from ******* starfish eating acros... this might be my final option.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back