STN

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone do when an Acro STN's. Do you leave it and let it recover or do you cut and frag? Had a bit of a perfect storm. Blown powerhead and took me a few days to get the flow right followed by a temp spike yesterday of 3 degrees higher than normal due to not being home and AC was not on. Noticed my Orange Tipped Albo lost some flesh at the base.

20200529_090818.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STN, I usually let it recover if I can guess the stressors and have returned things back to normal. RTN, I almost always frag.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a medication I'm testing that specifically kills Vibrio. I've used this as a dip to save a few frags. I've had better success against STN than RTN but it has helped in both cases. Still waiting to have enough STN/RTN to try it in a well-replicated experiment.

Want to try it? Send a PM and I can send a sample.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medication is it? Any reason you're targeting vibrio specifically as opposed to other bacteria associated with white disease?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm targetting Vibrio because (a) so many studies have found various Vibrio species associated with 'white syndrome' and related tissue necrosis diseases, and (b) I know of a specific compound that specifically kills Vibrio at low doses that are safe for corals. By focusing on Vibrio I don't mean to imply that there are never any other pathogens or parasites involved, just that this is probably one of them, and its one we can kill.

I've been using it for some time on my own corals, and have a provisional patent on its use as a coral medication. It seems pretty effective but so far I have not had enough RTN or STN for a well replicated experiment to demonstrate it properly. I will say this, without exception, if a coral in my tanks starts showing TN, I treat it with the medicine.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation. I'd be interested to follow and see how well your compound works. In the past, I conducted a series of experiments using different antimicrobials (many of which that cover Vibrio) and was unable to demonstrate a mortality benefit. I'll be following- best of luck with your testing!

RM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both. Had some stn due to alk swings that have now been corrected. The recover process takes so long for me. I guess it depends how bad it is.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to frag not too long after noticing the event. Rarely have I seen a frag stop rtn/stn and recover. Once fragging, it's remounted and dead tissue removed. I've seen a 75% survival rate if caught early enough.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to frag not too long after noticing the event. Rarely have I seen a frag stop rtn/stn and recover. Once fragging, it's remounted and dead tissue removed. I've seen a 75% survival rate if caught early enough.
I agree, I would frag if I see stn that continues to progress everyday, if it does it and stops then I don't. But looking at your small frag I don't think fragging something that small is going to do any good. Try to think about when it was happy and what you were doing then that might have changed since then. Added GFO, or changed lights etc... something is stressing it.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquabip
I agree, I would frag if I see stn that continues to progress everyday, if it does it and stops then I don't. But looking at your small frag I don't think fragging something that small is going to do any good. Try to think about when it was happy and what you were doing then that might have changed since then. Added GFO, or changed lights etc... something is stressing it.

I had a temp spike yesterday and stn'd overnight. Now that the lights are on seems like a minor area.

20200529_103214.jpg

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a medication I'm testing that specifically kills Vibrio. I've used this as a dip to save a few frags. I've had better success against STN than RTN but it has helped in both cases. Still waiting to have enough STN/RTN to try it in a well-replicated experiment.

Want to try it? Send a PM and I can send a sample.

Thanks for the offer. Would you be offended if I didn't use it. Not sure I want to break it off the rock as it seems limited and I do t see any more flesh comming off.

Back