Got a 65 gallon (36x24x18) and I’m wondering how many fish I can put in it

Currently I have:
- 2 clowns
- Bicolour blenny

I’d like to add
- Mccosker flasher wrasse
- Exquisite fairy wrasse
- Gramma

is there any issues any of this might pose? And is this too full, just right, or a bit light and I could add one or two more?

thanks for the input

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider 6 fish on the “light” side, but it also really depends how good your filtration system is, ie: filter socks (or comparable), carbon and GFO, protein skimmer, bio balls - as well as how much rock you have in your tank (both display and sump), how often you do water changes, cleaning and testing, etc.

I ran 10 small fish in a 25-gallon lagoon, and they were all healthy and happy - so it all depends on many factors. I found a good balance of different types of fish was key, ie: fish that spend most of their time in caves, fish that like to lurk, fish that like to hang out on rocks, etc. And having a lot of caves, crevices and places for them to hide and sleep makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
D

Doc1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider 6 fish on the “light” side, but it also really depends how good your filtration system is, ie: filter socks (or comparable), carbon and GFO, protein skimmer, bio balls - as well as how much rock you have in your tank (both display and sump), how often you do water changes, cleaning and testing, etc.

I ran 10 small fish in a 25-gallon lagoon, and they were all healthy and happy - so it all depends on many factors. I found a good balance of different types of fish was key, ie: fish that spend most of their time in caves, fish that like to lurk, fish that like to hang out on rocks, etc. And having a lot of caves, crevices and places for them to hide and sleep makes a huge difference.
That makes sense. Thank you

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 65 gallon (36x24x18) and I’m wondering how many fish I can put in it

Currently I have:
- 2 clowns
- Bicolour blenny

I’d like to add
- Mccosker flasher wrasse
- Exquisite fairy wrasse
- Gramma

is there any issues any of this might pose? And is this too full, just right, or a bit light and I could add one or two more?

thanks for the input
Just starting the same size tank myself. Following along

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a stocking list I had for each of my smaller tanks to give you an idea of what worked well together.

Tank 1 (13) 25-gallons (no longer in-use)
* Sixline wrasse
* Small Cleaner wrasse
* Orchid dottyback
* Coral beauty dwarl angel
* Coral-banded shrimp
* Azure damsel
* Small Green chromis (2)
* Small clownfish (2)
* Midas blenny
* Small-medium Mandarin dragonets (2)

Tank 2 (11) 25-gallons (no longer in use)
* Flame hawkfish
* Indigo dottyback
* Small-Medium clownfish (2)
* Yellow belly damsel
* Midnight dwarf angel
* Medium Green chromis (2)
* Lawnmower blenny
* Blue star leopard wrasse
* Very small sailfin tang (don’t want to hear it, it was just for a few months until the new tank arrived)

Tank 3 (19) 160-gallons / Current Tank
* Coral-banded shrimp
* Flame hawkfish
* Green chromis (2)
* Small-medium Clownfish (3)
* Black neon dottyback
* Sailfin tang
* Midnight and coral beauty dwarf angels (2)
* Azure damsel and small blue devil damsels (4)
* Sixline, melanarus and cleaner wrasse (3)
* Midas blenny

I sadly had an outbreak of velvet about 2 months ago that killed many of my favorite fish that you no longer see in the list, so I’m down roughly a half dozen fish from where I was at the peak.

Yes, both dottybacks got along before they died. Yes, two dwarf angels can and go co-exist happily. Yes, 4 damsels can also co-exist. And yes, even three clownfish can co-exist (one is a pair with another straggler). This isn’t to say it will always work - just that it did in my setup. I have a lot of marco shelf rock with probably 2-dozen or more caves, crevices and hiding spots. Not to mention 2 “barnacle hotels” that are popular with some of the fish and crabs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back