Stocking 6 foot tank

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, Just put up a previous post about qt different fish.

Just wanted to ask about the fish compatibility and order of introduction.

Currently my tank has

4 Tangs: Powder Blue, Purple, Blue Hippo and Orange Shoulder

3 Wrasse: Choati Leopard, Leopard, Melenarus

and a Bicolor, 2 Clownfish, 2 Chromis, 2 Anthias a Damselfish and a Red spot lawnmower blenny.

I was hoping to introduce some more fish:

Tangs: Desjardini Sailfin, Naso, Powder Brown, ( these ones will wait Achilles, Kole Eye, Gem Tang, Yellow, as I need to ask pricing )

Copperband Butterfly

Yellow tail tamarin wrasse

Angels: Emperor, Regal and Flame.

What do you guys think? Also suggestions on qt order and grouping would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those fish or like one per group?

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of a few of these. Sorry I should have made that more clear. Was hoping for something along the lines of 2-3 tangs, 1 angel, copperband and tamarin wrasse.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a 125 gallon? 180 gallon? just saying a 6 foot tank doesn’t help and depending on how many gallons will limit how many fish and which fish you should have

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a reef tank or fish only? The angels are likely to nibble on any fleshy corals (LPS/softies) or invertebrates (clam mantles)

the copperband is likely going to be the most difficult to keep alive regardless of introduction order.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emperor angel is probably not going to be reef-safe; the dwarf flame angel might be. Not to be the tang police (“whoop whoop!”) but that’s an awful lot of large fish for a 6-foot tank (assuming it’s around 180-200 gallons). It will be fine when they’re smaller, but you’re going to end up with a dozen or so 6-8” fish in short order).

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Sorry I didn’t get back to you. Life got in the way. Had some family issues which took priority. I have ended up ordering 3 fish as a little Christmas present for myself: Sohal tang. Desjardini tang and a copperband butterflyfish. Just put a post up asking whether people thought the desjardini tang was actually a desjardini, or a sailfin tang. The fish arrive tomorrow evening. Any advice for introduction and acclimation would be very appreciated. They have been supposedly quarantined and are eating. How long should I use acclimation boxes for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of what I hope is the desjardini tang (not regular). And a video of the Sohal tang and the copperband butterfly. I am a little worried about putting the Sohal in such a small box for a couple of days, considering it is pretty large

243032BB-7542-4572-B820-42502A6EB19E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4637.mov
    3 MB
OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the video worked. But here is a photo of the copperband and Sohal as a size reference. (This is taken at the vendors place)

Attachments

• 7098F896-B3D4-4D95-97F0-383F9F00DCC5.jpeg
    7098F896-B3D4-4D95-97F0-383F9F00DCC5.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 26

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish look good!

Be cautious of adding tangs of the same genus once you have one established in a tank.

Zebrasoma = Purple, Gem, Sailfin and Yellow
Acanthurus = Powder Blue, Orange Shoulder, Powder Brown, Achilles, Sohal

Long term, the Orange Shoulder and Sohal could outgrow your tank

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I am a little worried about the conflict between powder blue and Sohal and purple and desjardini. I hope using acclimation boxes and introducing at night will help. Also I am planning on overhauling my rockwork in the new year which should hopefully serve as a reset button for the tangs. In regards to the adult size of the Sohal and orange shoulder tangs. I am very open to rehoming or upgrading the system for their health. What are some signs that it’s probably time to make that decision?

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I released the Sohal tang into the tank last night. He is doing very well. Eating and standing up to the other tangs - even chasing them at one point. Im a little worried about copperband butterfly. It is very big and looks very cramped in the breeder box. I’m considering releasing it too. It’s sort of pacing around the box and pecking at the sides - not eating since being in the box. It’s been in for about 15 hours. I turned off the lights because Im worried about it getting too hot, being so close to the surface (and the leds) What do you guys think? Am I worrying about nothing? Should I leave it in there for a few more days/hours? can I turn the lights on - I’m worried the other fish won’t get used to the new additions in the boxes if they aren’t out and swimming when the lights are off.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back