Stocking 75 gal

mauiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on stocking my 75 gal/40 gal sump with these fish eventually, but I’d like to know what order y’all would suggest putting them in? Along with will all of these fish thrive together? Yes I’m already aware of the dietary needs of the harlequin and mandarin goby.

Melanurus 1x
Clownfish 4x
Orchid dottyback 1x
Kole tang 1x
Leopard puffer 2x
Pistol shrimp 3x
Harlequin shrimp 2x
Mandarin goby 1x
Diamond goby 1x
Yellow prawn goby 1x
Pink speckled goby 1x
Red fire goby 1x
Conch 2x
Emerald crab 2x
Cleaner shrimp 1x

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs are not easy to find now that the hawaii ban is in effect, at least not the true yellow eye kole's.

Upvote 0

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would recommend putting wrasses and puffers towards the end (not sure how leopard puffers fare with other fish, would appreciate second opinions). Any fish that are sometimes reported to be aggressive should best be placed last to prevent territorial behavior.

Diamond gobies/Valenciennea species should also be placed when there is sufficient nutrients in the sand. (Though these nutrients may run out with time and the goby will be left with little to no food, which is why the keeping of valenciennea species is controversial in some aspects).

Not well versed in dottyback tankmates/possible aggression.

Conch snails could go first. Gobies and pistol shrimps would also be ok to place first. As well as the other inverts you listed (I don't see any issues with these inverts at face value). The wrasse may pick at your inverts, it may not. I would monitor your wrasse when you place it and see if its behavior levels out.

Still learning, if there is anything to fix about my comment please let me know.

Best of luck OP.

Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to be a FOWLR tank or do you plan on keeping coral?

The leopard puffers... aren't those brackish water fish technically? I've read they don't live long in a full marine environment. I could be thinking of a different one though.

The orchid dottyback will probably be one of the most aggressive on that list and need to go last, right after the clownfish and tang.

I know a 75 gallon has a decent sized footprint, but I would hesitate keeping 2 watchman gobies together, even if they're different colors (the YWG and the pink spotted). Could work, I just wouldn't do it. :)

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back