Stocking a 125 gallon tank

Kingsman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 125 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump that’s been running a little over a year. I’ve got about 125 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand in it. These are what I currently have in the tank:
2 mocha storm clownfish
1 potters angelfish
1 kole eye tang
1 starry blenny
1 royal gramma basslet
*also have a hammer and blastomusa coral in there as well

I’m trying to figure out what would go nicely in there with the rest. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have any ornamental shrimp hawk fish can make for an interesting addition. I’ve had several flame hawks that have always grabbed observers of my tanks attention. This fish usually follows a routine path. His lack of a swim bladder, rotating eyes and perching behavior seem to entertain. Please note as per my first sentence these guys can take to ornamental shrimp. I also personally really like mandarin fish as they stay in the background. Happy choosing!

OP
OP
Kingsman90

Kingsman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have any ornamental shrimp hawk fish can make for an interesting addition. I’ve had several flame hawks that have always grabbed observers of my tanks attention. This fish usually follows a routine path. His lack of a swim bladder, rotating eyes and perching behavior seem to entertain. Please note as per my first sentence these guys can take to ornamental shrimp. I also personally really like mandarin fish as they stay in the background. Happy choosing!
I don’t have any ornamental shrimp. I do have some small hermit crabs though. Would they bother them? I’d love to eventually have a mandarin fish but currently I don’t think I have enough pods to support one.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should leave hermits alone. If fed well they may even leave ornamental shrimp alone. Personally I think mandarins are rather easy I will add zooplex to the tanks with them but I’ve found most of them take to frozen food. If in doubt algae barn has all kind of pods or your lfs may sell rotifers which have always worked for me particularly in the introductory stage.

OP
OP
Kingsman90

Kingsman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! I’ll look into the mandarins then! Thank you! And I’m pretty sure my lfs does sell the rotifers.

OP
OP
Kingsman90

Kingsman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I actually was wanting to get at least one wrasse! I love their personalities and their movement in the tank! My lfs didn’t have any Hawkfish when I went this week but said to check in later this month and see if they get any more in.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I actually was wanting to get at least one wrasse! I love their personalities and their movement in the tank! My lfs didn’t have any Hawkfish when I went this week but said to check in later this month and see if they get any more in.
Just keep in mind that wrasses and mandarins both eat pods. The mandarin could get starved out.

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as additional fish - I have a one spot foxface that's pretty sweet. I don't know about other people but I've always noticed they kindof follow my tang around and have an interesting relationship.

Also if you're not too worried about keeping corals, butterflies are beautiful.

OP
OP
Kingsman90

Kingsman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest starting a little refugium with macro algae in your sump if you want to keep pods going long term - they'll be protected from the mandarin and other fish that might eat them.
I’m going to start building a refugium in a few months. In the meantime I got a steady supply of pods coming from algae barn. I’m not so sure on the butterflies just because eventually I’d like to have coral. How well does the Fox face get along with smaller fish?

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start building a refugium in a few months. In the meantime I got a steady supply of pods coming from algae barn. I’m not so sure on the butterflies just because eventually I’d like to have coral. How well does the Fox face get along with smaller fish?
I've never had issues with fox faces being aggressive, they're generally pretty timid and no one really messes with them because of their spines.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back