Stocking a 65 gallon 36x18x24

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on ditching the 6 line wrasse. Mean bugger once it matures and can be difficult to catch and remove. If you want a wrasse that could hold it's own in a tank of that size, without causing problems, the Lubbocks aka Tri Color Wrasse would be a good choice.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a flame angel and a springer damsel (similar to azure) and the aggression level isn't even close. the blue devil is Chrysiptera taupou and the azure is Chrysiptera hemicyanea.. different fish.

i'd also avoid the sixline for sure. seems some have success with them, but quite a few horror stories. i'd get one of the small halichoeres wrasses if you like the sixline, i have biocellatus and chrysus and they are the model fish imo. totally peaceful, do their own thing, don't take crap from the other fish, spend all day hunting for undesirable stuff. the pink streaked is a good substitute, but more cryptic than the halichoeres wrasses. my lfs has one in a large growout tank and you have to try to see that guy.

the small fairy wrasses are cool too, they'll be up and swimming in the water column a lot, which you might want because you have a lot of fish that are a little more rock oriented.

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly I just need to rethink my list. How do I determine where a fish hangs out? Who is a bottom dweller and who is an open water swimmer. I tried using the sorting method on live aquaria but seem to be having trouble with it.
Aren't halichoeres wrasses not reef safe? There is several of that species I like.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
halichoeres are listed as fish only or reef safe with caution because some of them will eat inverts. the smaller ones seem to leave them alone, hence my biocellatus/chrysus recommendation. the melanarus for example gets a big larger and seems a bit more likely to mow down inverts. it's a pretty big genus too, some of the members get very large like 1-2 feet large and will probably wreck any inverts in the tank. i'd read that link i posted earlier in the thread, evolved covers quite a few wrasses and their likelihood of eating inverts. imo they're well worth it even if they eat some snails/hermits. CUC seems to have a way of mowing itself down anyway..

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could go on and on.
Best way to stock a tank in my opinion is to find fish that will utilize all of the tank space. For instance, I have fish that stay on the bottom of the tank (I love my green striped gobies), then some that hide in the rockwork, some that use the middle of the tank, and some that stay in the upper part of the water column. I think this minimizes territory disputes between fish. My tank is very heavily loaded with fish and all are peaceful, except the pygmy angel and tail spot blenny chase each other back and forth every once in a while but no fighting.

Is there a possible list somewhere on what part of the tank the fish will inhabit?
It seems like most of the fish I am picking will inhabit the same area of the tank.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possible list somewhere on what part of the tank the fish will inhabit?
It seems like most of the fish I am picking will inhabit the same area of the tank.

Not that I know of DarrenCar. I'm sure you could find something if you search long enough. I gathered my info from years of reading/ trial & error. I would just keep researching the type of fish you want and see if you can find what their behaviors are. As long as the fish has a peaceful temperament you don't really need to worry too much about it but I do feel it's beneficial to the overall tank. Has your list changed? Post it up.

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I’m actually not sure about how to stock it now.
I’m still steady on the two clowns, a cherub Pygmy angel and some sort of wrasse. Other than that I don’t know what I could add that won’t take the same space up in the tank. Possibly a sand dwelling goby? After that I don’t know to be honest. I just don’t want to add anything that can’t live in the tank long term.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, clowns will take up residency of their choice. The cherub pygmy will roam around everywhere, and so will a carpenters wrasse or a sixline wrasse.
For the upper water column, look into chromis or cardinal fish.
Middle/Bottom - Blenny's, hawk fish and chalk bass will stay around the rockwork and maybe even the sandy area.
For strictly bottom -Sand sifting gobies (to an established tank as they feed on fauna), yellow watchman goby and jawfish
Hopefully that helps

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same size tank as you and also had to have two clowns. Clowns, snails, and a peppermint shrimp is where I'm at.
I considered a yellow tang for algae, but honestly don't like the look of them and don't want to deal with tang aggression.
For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a foxface or rabbitfish for algae, a pistol shrimp and watchman goby for the discovery channel aspect, and a few pajama cardinal fish to look pretty and occupy space higher in the water column. That might leave room for one more small fish down the road, but down the road is a bigger tank too!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same size tank as you and also had to have two clowns. Clowns, snails, and a peppermint shrimp is where I'm at.
I considered a yellow tang for algae, but honestly don't like the look of them and don't want to deal with tang aggression.
For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a foxface or rabbitfish for algae, a pistol shrimp and watchman goby for the discovery channel aspect, and a few pajama cardinal fish to look pretty and occupy space higher in the water column. That might leave room for one more small fish down the road, but down the road is a bigger tank too!

A Foxface in a 3 foot long tank would be a bad idea. They get way too big for a 3 foot long 65 gallon. For that tank a Starry Blenny would be your best bet.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I’m actually not sure about how to stock it now.
I’m still steady on the two clowns, a cherub Pygmy angel and some sort of wrasse. Other than that I don’t know what I could add that won’t take the same space up in the tank. Possibly a sand dwelling goby? After that I don’t know to be honest. I just don’t want to add anything that can’t live in the tank long term.

If you do Halichoeres with a 3 foot long tank stick to the H.Biocellatus (aka Red Lined Wrasse) as they tend to stay a bit smaller and have a more peaceful temperament than some of the other Halichoeres.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1536+3075&pcatid=3075

Another possibility if I haven't mentioned it is the Lubbock's or Tri-Color Fairy Wrasse. They stay pretty small and unlike the Halichoeres will leave your cleanup crew alone. They are gorgeous and the pictures don't do them justice: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+376&pcatid=376

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Foxface in a 3 foot long tank would be a bad idea. They get way too big for a 3 foot long 65 gallon. For that tank a Starry Blenny would be your best bet.
ty, I see that you are correct. One site says a one-spot can do 70g, but even that would be pushing it. ty for your suggestion and sorry for the hijack.

NowasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank.
Currently have-
2 clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Black Blenny
1 Tomini Tang
1 cleaner Shrimp
1 emerald crab
Mixed CUC
Mixed reef
Everyone gets along great. I’m really a fan of the Tomini Tang as it’s quite active and should stay smaller than most of the “other” tangs.

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank.
Currently have-
2 clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Black Blenny
1 Tomini Tang
1 cleaner Shrimp
1 emerald crab
Mixed CUC
Mixed reef
Everyone gets along great. I’m really a fan of the Tomini Tang as it’s quite active and should stay smaller than most of the “other” tangs.

Id love a Tang but im pretty sure in my research they need a minimum of at least a 4 foot tank. Probably going to stay away from the tangs until I upgrade to a much larger tank.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I drop the damsel and go with a cherub with caution would that be ok?
Is there another angel you recommend for this tank size?
Hi! I have a coral beauty angel who was in my 75 gal now in 300. Same type of corals that you are planning. My angel doesn’t touch any corals and is small and doesn’t have any agression. I also have the damsel you suggested and is also mellow. My chromis are more agressive. What about Bartlets Anthias or some other type of anthias? Diamond goby is good sand sifter. How about firefish? Just some thoughts. Good luck. Nice list so far.

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I will call my official wish list. I think this all works out. Only time will tell, trial and error I suppose.
Next task is to figure out what is a proper order to introduce these fish into the tank.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris )
1 Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi)
1 Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1 Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignites)
1 Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
1 Pink Spotted Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus)

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I will call my official wish list. I think this all works out. Only time will tell, trial and error I suppose.
Next task is to figure out what is a proper order to introduce these fish into the tank.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris )
1 Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi)
1 Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1 Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignites)
1 Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
1 Pink Spotted Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus)
You have a very nice list! I think you will enjoy those fish a lot. The Lubbock wrasse is very pretty and will give your tank lots of color and not too agressive. I have a 93 gal cube reef and one day my husband brought home these three fish that I had never seen before but he really liked them, they are chalk basslets. They are not the prettiest fish but they have tons of personality, they school together and move all over the tank and hide and come in/out of the rocks. They are fun to watch. Here’s a picture. We have 13 fish in the 93 cube. I think you can see the basslets 3. My pink watchman hides most of the time. The diamond watch man we had before was out more. But that could just be the individual fish. Both very pretty.
I think planning the stock list was a lot of fun. Sometimes we changed our mind about a fish depending on what our store had in stock. We always bye our fish from the same store. our fish store will order specific fish for us also. What state do you live in and where do you plan to get your fish?? Are you planning on quarantine?

DA872473-C9A3-48EB-B365-786464BB609A.jpeg

8C53BBC4-DA08-40A5-B49F-86F76688F3A9.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here’s my next thought.
2 clowns
1 Pygmy cherub
1 Lubbock wrasse
1 starry Blenny
1 watchman goby

The Starry Blenny might have some issues with the Watchman Goby, but it's hard to say for sure. Other than that the list looks very well balanced. Pretty much all of those fish aren't overly aggressive but they will stick up for themselves if the other fish get pushy, which is ideally what you want.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back