Stocking a 65 Gallon

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish that was considered was a captive breed mandarin. I feel like a 65 might be a little small for both a leopard and a mandarin. Tank has ~70 lbs of rock in the display, and another ~ lbs of rubble in the sump.
It would be a bit on the small side for both fish. Although mandarins tend to be more on the rocks and scavenging over out in the front of the tank. I personally prefer leopards so I would go for that over a mandarin but it’s all about personal preference and what you like more.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Black Clown Goby and I actually disagree with you on the fact if it’s in a busy room then it’ll probably be slightly more shy. My 11 fish in my 4’ tank are WAY more active and “playful” in a room that a lot of people are in compared to how every fish in my nano are more playful when people are in the room.

Personality I guess! My clowns are always exploring the nano, and when they know it's food time they go nuts!

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Black Clown Goby and I actually disagree with you on the fact if it’s in a busy room then it’ll probably be slightly more shy. My 11 fish in my 4’ tank are WAY more active and “playful” in a room that a lot of people are in compared to how every fish in my nano are more playful when people are in the room.
Yea like I mentioned it’s luck of the draw, and lots of other daily life factors come into play I imagine if a 5 year old swats at it with your acrylic wand on a daily basis it won’t like it and will hide every day haha

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Vermiculate Leopards?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Vermiculate Leopards?
That’s also known as the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, they get bigger than Black Leopards. They’re more common though, and possible the best leopard for captivity since so many have turned to frozen rather fast.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s also known as the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, they get bigger than Black Leopards. They’re more common though, and possible the best leopard for captivity since so many have turned to frozen rather fast.

Only ask cause I know these guys are always in stock locally.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211230_203245533.MP.jpg
PXL_20211230_202348075.jpg

Hawkfish located.. I didn't expect to find such a good looking one on my visit to the LFS today. I was planning on going in and grabbing the wrasse and ordering the hawkfish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211230_203245533.MP.jpg
PXL_20211230_202348075.jpg

Hawkfish located.. I didn't expect to find such a good looking one on my visit to the LFS today. I was planning on going in and grabbing the wrasse and ordering the hawkfish.
That’s a very nice fish!! He will perch on the rocks though but he will also go up and swim in the water column every now and then. I love the hawks but have never bought myself to getting one of them.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very nice fish!! He will perch on the rocks though but he will also go up and swim in the water column every now and then. I love the hawks but have never bought myself to getting one of them.

Always been fishes I've figured I'd never actually get for myself, but that's why I started this thread! He was a very curious fish at the store and kept moving around the tank perching on different spots and staring me down. Looking forward to adding him into the display!

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked a 6 line wrasse. I also recommend a coral beauty small angel. The 6 line can go in anytime but I would wait until closer to the end of stocking for the angel. Eventually the angel will dominate the tank (in a nice way).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked a 6 line wrasse. I also recommend a coral beauty small angel. The 6 line can go in anytime but I would wait until closer to the end of stocking for the angel. Eventually the angel will dominate the tank (in a nice way).
I’d avoid the six line unless there’s a bunch of rock - Pink streaks are similar in colour pattern but aren’t quite a mix on if they mix well with other wrasses. I have mine in a 20g tank with a Blue Star Leopard and a Naoko Fairy - until they grow out of course.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma has been added as well. He/she is still settling in and only likes to come out for food at the moment.

Back