Stocking a 75G with captive bred fish

Snickers314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 75 gallon tank I've had set up for 4 months now. I've got two 70g penguin biowheel HOB filters, a 100g protien skimmer and a marine land reef LED 2.0 light. So far the only fish I've put in is a single blood orange clownfish.

I'd like to start adding some more fish to my aquarium. I'm trying to do it all with captive bred species. I know they are more expensive, but the fact that they are hardier and more eco friendly is worth the extra cash to me. I was hoping to get opinions on my stocking list and schedule from some knowledgeable fish keepers. I've done research online but nothing beats years and years of experience.

My plan is to start by adding a second blood orange clownfish. I know they do well in pairs and the dominant one will change sex to form a mated pair. Given their hardiness, I think even in a tank so young it should be fine. I'd like to add this fish soon.

After about 2 months, when my tank is 6 months old. I'd like to add a yellow tang. I've heard varied reports on keeping them in a 4 foot tank such as my own. I've heard that if the tank is generally under stocked and aquascaped correctly, it is probably sufficient to be a life time home for a yellow tang. I have roughly 100 pounds of life rock, what is the best way to arrange it? If ya'll think the 75 is too small, I'm not opposed to getting either a kole or bristletooth tang. I'd just prefer the yellow because Biota has captive bred ones. But I do want some sort of tang because I already have fairly significant green, brown and hair algae forming. I'd like to spend less time with the scrubber during weekly water changes if possible.

Then I just want to let those 3 fish be for a while. I'm thinking about six months. I want to give my environment time to get really well established. So when my tank is about a year old I'd like to add a couple of the more challenging fish. A Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel and a Blue Mandarin Dragonet. The coral beauty can nip at corals, but I've read if I feed it say, flakes in the morning, frozen brine shrimp at night and then leave a sheet of seaweed on a veggie clip that it will minimize nipping and I'll likely be fine. The mandarin is difficult because they mostly eat copepods. I don't plan on having a refugium or growing them. I was thinking I could just buy them from liveaquaria (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=2190+3058&pcatid=3058) and feed the mandarin about a half oz a day.

That's all the fish I want. I'd guess it's about 3/4 of what the tank can hold, but given the size of the yellow tang and the fact that everyone but the mandarin can be a little aggressive. It's prolly about right. Maybe I'll use that extra room for a really cool crab or some other type of bottom feeder that can help my clean up crew.

I'd really appreciate any advice. My fault about the wall of text.

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fish expert nor do I claim to be, but I would advise you to add the tang and the angel at the same time. I might would add them last as well to try and minimalize the aggression. The Mandarin is a slow eater and likely will starve with no copepod population. The other faster fish may very well beat him to eating the pods that you want to add to the tank. Target feeding it may help though although I'm not sure how well it will work.

OP
OP
S

Snickers314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice. I will definitely take the advice about the tang and angel. Fortunately I am still mostly in the planning stages. I'll research ways to promote a healthy copepod population. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a hang on the back refugium or scrap the mandarin all together. Thanks man.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back