OP
J

j.Zero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, additional question. How stable should the rocks be to be safe from falling over with the hermits and snails climbing on it? I plan to have a shelf rock resting on two base rocks to form an arc with a flat top. I'm worried about the shelf rock falling sideways. Or are the hermits and snails light enough to not be worried about that?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits or (most) snails won’t be a problem. My rocks aren’t set up perfectly and are rather unstable but there hasn’t been any problems from my snails, hermits, or pistol. Mine are just sitting on top of each other quite precariously.
It’s typically urchins that are a worry (hence why I won’t be getting one any time soon).

OP
OP
J

j.Zero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just made sure that the rocks are sitting on the glass. One base rock which was carrying a shelf rock, as mentioned, was lying on the sand previously and might tip over when the Pistol digs out the sand so I buried another shelf rock for it to sit on.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can use glue/ epoxy or mortar to make rockwork more stable if that's something you want to do or are worried about depending on shapes/ sizes of your rocks off course.
I never used epoxy but i have read that can just apply a bit of force and break it apart if ever want to change aquascape or take rock out of tank to scrub algae or for whatever reason.
Super glue needs be " ca" cyanocratilite which is reef safe.no need get specially for aquariums as only difference just costs more.over time superglue loses some its strength under water apparently down to 80% or something like this but double check it.i used superglue and mortar but i made quite large/ heavy structures with overhangs/ underhangs etc.
Good luck and hello there ^_^

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back