Stocking advice

Grossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all long time lurker first time poster here.

Just recently purchased my first saltwater tank a fluval sea evo 13.5 gallon have successfully cycled the tank and it currently has inverts in only (2 blur hermits, 2 nassarius snails and two astrea snails).

With that being said I’m planning on adding my first fish this weekend and I know stocking options are limited with my size of tank but I have a few ideas.

Option one is a purple fire fish with a clown and tail spot Blennie.

Option 2 would be a clown with a royal gramma.

Also open to any other suggestions. I plan on only adding one fish at a time of course and if I go for either option what would be the best course of addition for the fish.

Planning on eventually adding coral with time as tank matures but for now just the fish.

If any additional questions for me please ask thanks in advance.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be nasty. Don't let that Disney PR fool you.

Add the clown last, and be ready to deal with it picking on the gramma, blenny, or goby.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also be careful with the clown in there, especially because the other fish your looking at can stress or spook easily, and in that type of space they may do very poorly if the clown gets angry.

Have you looked at the large selection of small gobies? They could be very neat in that type of system, and some will form a relationship with a pistol shrimp. That pairing is always cool to see on a nano tank, because in a larger reef you usually can't find them.

OP
OP
G

Grossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also be careful with the clown in there, especially because the other fish your looking at can stress or spook easily, and in that type of space they may do very poorly if the clown gets angry.

Have you looked at the large selection of small gobies? They could be very neat in that type of system, and some will form a relationship with a pistol shrimp. That pairing is always cool to see on a nano tank, because in a larger reef you usually can't find them.
I have I do particularly like the YWG goby with a pistol shrimp pair that would be awesome. How would that fair with any other of my proposed occupants in place of the clown?
I’m really not married to the clownfish I’m just looking for a bit of color diversity since I have so few options and they are also so hardy.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have I do particularly like the YWG goby with a pistol shrimp pair that would be awesome. How would that fair with any other of my proposed occupants in place of the clown?
I’m really not married to the clownfish I’m just looking for a bit of color diversity since I have so few options and they are also so hardy.

As long as you don't add another Blenny or goby you should be fine.

To me, the dream stocking for a tank like that would be a bonded pair of small gobies (if you can find it) with the pistol shrimp, and the Royal Gramma.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have one little goby in my 15 gallon tank it’s very happy.Try one little fish.
E5D439CB-3DCB-445F-A2D0-10E84F7A7653.jpeg

F35E768D-FC02-4D12-B818-3CD141BE2CCE.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Grossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't add another Blenny or goby you should be fine.

To me, the dream stocking for a tank like that would be a bonded pair of small gobies (if you can find it) with the pistol shrimp, and the Royal Gramma.
That is definitely a good option for me. Do you feel like the activity level of the Gramma would increase? I’m just scared of it hiding all the time in the rock work.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely a good option for me. Do you feel like the activity level of the Gramma would increase? I’m just scared of it hiding all the time in the rock work.

I've never had long term experiences with gramma's because I keep wrasse that harass them to death. I ended up having to get a purple stripe dottyback to get a fish with the same colors that would stand up to the wrasse's. So I may not be the best person to answer on gramma behavior.

That said, the goby(ies) and pistol shrimp will likely spend most of their time in the burrow they create, so the gramma would essentially have free roam of the rest of the system.

OP
OP
G

Grossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about it I don’t think I’ll do the clown or gramma perhaps just a fire fish. I would love to add the tailspot too but would there be aggression between the two?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect for a clown pair and an anemone. Would look awesome. Have to wait a bit for an anemone though as your tank is still maturing. Good luck.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a royal gramma in my 32G biocube 3 weeks ago. First 2 says he was hiding a lot but since then he’s out and about around 70% of the time? I haven’t had any trouble with my clowns at all maybe cause my tanks bigger but every new addition to my tank they just look at them real quick then swim off. They could care less about the new fish. If you were to get a clown I would stay away from maroon clowns. Other than they I think you could add one.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following in my evo
Cleaner goby
Watchmen goby
Firefish

My bioload is heavy but nutrients have been fairly steady. Agree with the others that a clown and firefish are not great combo. Paired clowns could work but I would go for a smaller species

OP
OP
G

Grossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think a clown an anemone would be amazing. Anemones just scare me so much though I don’t think I’ll do that in this tank where the margin of error is so thin but that’s definitely something I will do when I construct my next tank.

So I’m really thinking I’m going to go with the single firefish then work my way to lps corals down the road.

But here is the current issue I could go with a purple firefish my lfs has one for 45$. But man oh baby do I sure like helfrichi firefish. My lfs has that for 110$.
I know that’s some serious coin for one fish but since it will be my only one what do y’all think pony up the money? Also would it be more active as it would be the only occupant?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back