Stocking Fluval 13.5, 2 clownfish died idk why!

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to the saltwater game, after successfully running a breeding cichlid tank for years. So i got myself an evo fluval 13.5, live rock, live sand, and its all cycled and ready. Tank is maybe 3/4 weeks old now.
Algae forming a out a week ago, I got an:
emerald crab,
1 narssisus,
1 nerite
1 long tentacle anemone
1 kenya tree
2 cardinal fish

I really want a baby clownfish. Either a darwin, or a mocha. Can I add one of each?

I had trouble early with my aquarium, and have no idea what I did wrong. But I lost one oscellaris nemo fish, and one darwin fish. Both died within 8 hours of each other. Everything else in tank doing seemingly fine. I want this next go around to be successful. Are there any tips people have to ensure these clownfish don’t suffer the same fate? Any and all help and advice appreciated.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What test kits do you have?

A week ago you got all of those other items and how are they doing?

Pachiman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to the saltwater game, after successfully running a breeding cichlid tank for years. So i got myself an evo fluval 13.5, live rock, live sand, and its all cycled and ready. Tank is maybe 3/4 weeks old now.
emerald crab,
1 narssisus,
1 nerite
1 long tentacle anemone
1 kenya tree
2 cardinal fish

I really want a baby clownfish. Either a darwin, or a mocha. Can I add one of each?

I had trouble early with my aquarium, and have no idea what I did wrong. But I lost one oscellaris nemo fish, and one darwin fish. Both died within 8 hours of each other. Everything else in tank doing seemingly fine. I want this next go around to be successful. Are there any tips people have to ensure these clownfish don’t suffer the same fate? Any and all help and advice appreciated.
You have a really small and more important new tank that can hold ideally only 2 clowns for the first 3 months.

My best bet is that you added a lot of livestock in a really short period of time and the bacteria population couldn't handle the new load and you had a spike of ammonia that killed off your clowns.

For that tank size 2 cardinals/2 clowns is a bit too much if you are not experienced enough and be on top of the nutrient load, it is a really small space without too much room for better filtration.

Try to test out the parameters and add an ammonia monitor (which is probably the most probable cause).

I am assuming you drip acclimated your fish for at least one hour, ammonia spike + new environment stress + young clowns is just impossible for them to survive that.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really small and more important new tank that can hold ideally only 2 clowns for the first 3 months.

My best bet is that you added a lot of livestock in a really short period of time and the bacteria population couldn't handle the new load and you had a spike of ammonia that killed off your clowns.

For that tank size 2 cardinals/2 clowns is a bit too much if you are not experienced enough and be on top of the nutrient load, it is a really small space without too much room for better filtration.

Try to test out the parameters and add an ammonia monitor (which is probably the most probable cause).

I am assuming you drip acclimated your fish for at least one hour, ammonia spike + new environment stress + young clowns is just impossible for them to survive that.
Yes, I did drip acclimation for all of the livestock (seperately for the invertebrates).

I will look into an ammonia monitor, that is really great advice thank you, and raise my cardinals instead of clowns for the time being. :)
Thanks for your input, friend.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits do you have?

A week ago you got all of those other items and how are they doing?
The long tentacle anemone seems to be happy and eating shrimp every few days. My kenya tree perks up during night time and lounges during the day, but showing quite a bit of new growth. My emerald crab crawls around the rocks all day and I’ve never seen him not eating, snails are very active as well. This is also why I was somewhat shocked when my two clowns were no longer swimming with each other, as the other livestock appears to be adjusting to the tank just fine…
Test kit is fluval saltwater kit. Test daily for time being with the clownfish incident. I use seachem reef buffer for the ph, instant ocean salt with RO water from LFS.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia alert 1 year by seachem laboratories? ($11)
I could get a hanna checker ($70) if you think that absolutely is necessary over the ^ one.
Or do you have another in mind that you prefer?

Pachiman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did drip acclimation for all of the livestock (seperately for the invertebrates).

I will look into an ammonia monitor, that is really great advice thank you, and raise my cardinals instead of clowns for the time being. :)
Thanks for your input, friend.

Ammonia alert 1 year by seachem laboratories? ($11)
I could get a hanna checker ($70) if you think that absolutely is necessary over the ^ one.
Or do you have another in mind that you prefer?
Ammonia alert is fine, you shouldn't have ammonia at all. It was just a spike because the bacteria couldn't handle a bioload.

But consider selling or returning those cardinals and swap them for clowns if you really want clowns. Adding so many fish in such a small tank is not possible.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emerald crab,
1 narssisus,
1 nerite
1 long tentacle anemone
1 kenya tree
2 cardinal fish

Your problem is a lack of patience.

Salt water is not freshwater. You should not even have an anemone in a tank less than 6 months old, and in a tiny 13.5 is just asking for trouble.

Way too much, way too soon.

Slow down.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emerald crab,
1 narssisus,
1 nerite
1 long tentacle anemone
1 kenya tree
2 cardinal fish

If your tank water is good you can add both. Just make sure one is bigger than the other to help them pair and minimize too much fighting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back