Stocking for Biocube 32

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently finished upgrading my tank from a fluval evo 13.5 to a biocube 32 I currently have

6 Astrea Snails
4 scarlet hermits
2 black photon clown fish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse

I would love some input on stocking options passed where I am currently at for the upcoming months. I would like to add a blenny of some kind and maybe 1-2 other fish either for a purpose in the tank or just for the look/compatibility in the tank. I also am unsure of how many more snails/hermits I should add as well as some more diversity of the clean up crew (shrimp, nassarius /conch snails /other options)

For reference of being reef safe for coral I have ( zoas,acans,goniopora,alveopora,torch,hammer,birdsnest and montipora) frags

I'm also running a reef octo hob-90 for a skimmer and various forms of bio-media/filters floss for filtration as well as a chamber for cheato algae.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently finished upgrading my tank from a fluval evo 13.5 to a biocube 32 I currently have

6 Astrea Snails
4 scarlet hermits
2 black photon clown fish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 six line wrasse

I would love some input on stocking options passed where I am currently at for the upcoming months. I would like to add a blenny of some kind and maybe 1-2 other fish either for a purpose in the tank or just for the look/compatibility in the tank. I also am unsure of how many more snails/hermits I should add as well as some more diversity of the clean up crew (shrimp, nassarius /conch snails /other options)

For reference of being reef safe for coral I have ( zoas,acans,goniopora,alveopora,torch,hammer,birdsnest and montipora) frags

I'm also running a reef octo hob-90 for a skimmer and various forms of bio-media/filters floss for filtration as well as a chamber for cheato algae.
You’re pushing the fish limit right now with what you have for that tank. I have the same tank and only ever keep 2-3 fish in it (albeit one of those was an 18” engineer goby for years).

I wouldn’t get any more hermits. Scarlets are my favorite aside from zebra hermits ans you can’t find those anymore. With scarlets only you could probably get by with 1 more. I have 5 in my tank total, 1 scarlet, 2 orange leg, 1 zebra, and 1 blue leg (had more but they fought to the death).

As far as snails really reallt light IMO. I have nassarius, cerith, trochus, nerite, turbo, and spiny/non spiny astrea in my 32. Total I bet I have 30+ snails in there because the cerith keep breeding. I highly recommend trochus snails and nassarius. Trochus will eat any kind of algea including cyano and nassarius stir up the sand bed. Cerith are a close second as algea eaters and sand stirrers since the burrow ans will eat cyano as well.

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re pushing the fish limit right now with what you have for that tank. I have the same tank and only ever keep 2-3 fish in it (albeit one of those was an 18” engineer goby for years).

I wouldn’t get any more hermits. Scarlets are my favorite aside from zebra hermits ans you can’t find those anymore. With scarlets only you could probably get by with 1 more. I have 5 in my tank total, 1 scarlet, 2 orange leg, 1 zebra, and 1 blue leg (had more but they fought to the death).

As far as snails really reallt light IMO. I have nassarius, cerith, trochus, nerite, turbo, and spiny/non spiny astrea in my 32. Total I bet I have 30+ snails in there because the cerith keep breeding. I highly recommend trochus snails and nassarius. Trochus will eat any kind of algea including cyano and nassarius stir up the sand bed. Cerith are a close second as algea eaters and sand stirrers since the burrow ans will eat cyano as well.
I knew I was getting near what I should have in the tank fish wise but knew here would be a good place to confirm that so thank you! All the fish are juvenile's the biggest being the wrasse and even he is only a inch and a half length max currently. I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank next year so ill wait for that to get more fish. I knew the CUC was really light especially in the snail department but I wanted to see how many of each would be good before I just went out and bought 20 more Astraea's. ill definitely look into ordering a few of each of those snails! Thank you for the info!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I was getting near what I should have in the tank fish wise but knew here would be a good place to confirm that so thank you! All the fish are juvenile's the biggest being the wrasse and even he is only a inch and a half length max currently. I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank next year so ill wait for that to get more fish. I knew the CUC was really light especially in the snail department but I wanted to see how many of each would be good before I just went out and bought 20 more Astraea's. ill definitely look into ordering a few of each of those snails! Thank you for the info!
I will tell you now - If you get a bigger tank (Reefer 250) and like wrasse, I highly doubt you’ll be able to have anymore with already having a six line, they tend to get aggressive the bigger they are.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many opinions on stocking tanks. I don't really have any good advise as I love fish and always looking to add more. Check your water often make sure things a re stable and then maybe add another fish. I would keep smallish fish like fire fish or small gobies.

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you now - If you get a bigger tank (Reefer 250) and like wrasse, I highly doubt you’ll be able to have anymore with already having a six line, they tend to get aggressive the bigger they are.
Thats honestly the tank I was thinking about getting next or at least something similar to that. Also not opposed to keeping the biocube up and starting a new stocking list for the new tank when that time comes.

The only reason I was considering adding anything to this tank is I just added the six line wrasse and did hear six line's can be aggressive to new additions to a tank so wanted to add the fish sooner than later if that was an option. However I think Ill stick to the fish I have and work on building up a better CUC instead.

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would suggest an candy cane pistol shrimp. I like those!
I had 2 shrimp in a row come DOA and my LFS hasn't had any in stock recently but definitely thinking about a pistol shrimp to hopefully pair with the watchman goby. I think I might have to wait for the weather to warm back up around me before I try shipping anything again.

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious on how many fish you can get away with in a biocube I have a clown and a six line at the moment was wanting to add a yellow clown goby and a yellow head jawfish. Would that be too many or just enough or could I get away with another fish like a firefish goby or green chromis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious on how many fish you can get away with in a biocube I have a clown and a six line at the moment was wanting to add a yellow clown goby and a yellow head jawfish. Would that be too many or just enough or could I get away with another fish like a firefish goby or green chromis.
I would say you’re good to go on both but the sixlines can get aggressive as they mature and clowns will own the tank (In the wild they can own a 10’x10’ area in groups - I find in singles/pairs they tend to just own a small area of a tank, mine owns probably 3”x3” of my 4’ tank).

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you’re good to go on both but the sixlines can get aggressive as they mature and clowns will own the tank (In the wild they can own a 10’x10’ area in groups - I find in singles/pairs they tend to just own a small area of a tank, mine owns probably 3”x3” of my 4’ tank).
Say I’m good to go on more then just adding the goby and jawfish or just the goby and jawfish? But ya my six line is probably 3/4 of an inch and it has no problems with my clown and ya I know clowns can get territorial so that’s why I only got one I really didn’t even want it but my wife wanted one lol and plus that’s like all the fish store had the day I went that I wouldn’t mind in the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back