Stocking Ideas for 210G Mixed Reef

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to the hobby, making the leap to SW after about 12 years of FW experience. I have a 62" x 30" (deep) x 24" (high) aquarium that I'm going to be building into the living room wall. It will be a reef tank, with mostly soft corals. I've narrowed down my fish list to the following. Can I get critiques and suggestions?

Green Chromis (several)
Six Line Wrasse (1-2)
Long Nose Butterfly (1)
Azure Damsel (1)
Sapphire Damsel (1)
Lyretail Anthias (1-2)
Firefish Goby (several)
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (1 - eventually)
Majestic Angel (1 - eventually)
Spotted Mandarinfish (1 - eventually)
Royal Gramma (1)
Purple Tang (1)
Powder Brown Tang (1)
Sailfin Tang (1)
Clownfish (pair)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to the hobby, making the leap to SW after about 12 years of FW experience. I have a 62" x 30" (deep) x 24" (high) aquarium that I'm going to be building into the living room wall. It will be a reef tank, with mostly soft corals. I've narrowed down my fish list to the following. Can I get critiques and suggestions?

Green Chromis (several)
Six Line Wrasse (1-2)
Long Nose Butterfly (1)
Azure Damsel (1)
Sapphire Damsel (1)
Lyretail Anthias (1-2)
Firefish Goby (several)
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (1 - eventually)
Majestic Angel (1 - eventually)
Spotted Mandarinfish (1 - eventually)
Royal Gramma (1)
Purple Tang (1)
Powder Brown Tang (1)
Sailfin Tang (1)
Clownfish (pair)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I'd add the tangs last, together and sizes same, and I'd have at least 1:1 food clip for macroalgae to tang ratio. I'd also have acclimation box for any (replacement) fish added after the tangs are in ... 20 years things are bound to change, and they MAY not allow new fish into tank once territories established (you can also move them each to QT tanks and/or sump for 2-4 weeks to break territory holds, but the damsels and angel can also be territorial-ish) My tangs sadly are nicknamed Death Dealers ... and my dwarf angel is a wanna-be...

One six-line wrasse is likely enough - mine has been an eating machine and now that he's seriously geriatric at 10+ years old, he's still managing to keep everything under control (but I have a pre-order sailfin fairy wrasse that will arrive in a month from TSM Aquatics... shouldn't bother my grandpa wrasse if he's still with us)

Going with different species for firefish/dartfish MAY help with aggression, but ensure TIGHT cover on aquarium - amazing how they find smallest hole and dive thru - definitely Olympic Carpet Surfing breed... Maybe try 1 red, 1 purple, etc as multiple of same MAY fight

For the mandarin, because so many of our fishy friends dragonettes/mandarins starve, and EVERYTHING you listed but single dartfish will out eat the mandarin, this is a great post: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thanks-paulb-mandarin-feeder.263752/

EDIT: also your aquascape design should plan individual sleeping caves sized for full grown each tang (will not share) as well as the other fishes needs. Six line wrasse needs thick enough sand to sleep 1-2" is sufficient

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your reply!

Can I get any other feedback on my list? Will this likely work out, or are there any landmines in it? Anything special I should know to help it work?

Back