Stocking List advise and suggestions 192g...

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open to any suggestions or advice. Thanks

FOWLR. Display tanks is 192 gallons. 226 with sump. 79 inches long. Red Sea 3XL900
200 pounds of Caribbean live rock. Lots of various Mushrooms and Zoanthids.
Still waiting on Clearview Lids top. About a month away on top.

Current fish are....
5 Blue eyed Sea Goldies, Anthias
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored wrasse.
Orangeback Fairy wrasse
Ruby long fin Fairy Wrasse
Royal Gramma Basslet
Bi-colored Blenny
Red Shrimp, Cleaner shrimps , Emerald Crabs and Brittle stars.

Plan on adding as many different inverts as I can. Starfish ect. Need invert safe fish mostly.

Proposed list in order of stocking....
Several more community fish Firefish Gobys, Diamond Goby (2 already tile surfed). Waiting on top before I get another Diamond.
Open to suggestions.

2 Centropyge Angels,
Flame and Lemonpeel. Will Lemon eat Zoas?

5 Tangs hopefully added all at once. Is 5 to many?
Is it best to add all 5 at the same time?
Kole Tang
Gem Tang
Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang

Last but not least...
Blueface Angelfish!

192 79.jpg

Last edited:

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FOWLR. Display tanks is 192 gallons. 226 with sump. 79 inches long. Red Sea 3XL900

Current fish are....
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored wrasse.
Orangeback Fairy wrasse
Royal Gramma Basslet
Bi-colored Blenny

Plan on adding as many different inverts as I can. Starfish ect. Need invert safe fish mostly.

Several more community fish Firefish Gobys, Diamond Goby (2 already tile surfed). Waiting on top before I get another Diamond.
Open to suggestions.

2 Centropyge Angels,

Kole Tang
Gem Tang
Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang

Last but not least...
Blueface Angelfish!

192 79.jpg
I have two dwarfs who don’t you h corals, the multicolor and flameback, but now be heard that the lemonpeels are the most notorious for eating corals. Not sure about zoas though

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current fish are....
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored wrasse.
Orangeback Fairy wrasse
Royal Gramma Basslet
Bi-colored Blenny

Open to suggestions.

2 Centropyge Angels,

Kole Tang
Gem Tang
Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang

Last but not least...
Blueface Angelfish!

192 79.jpg
Wow the suspense, no large angel until the end I was beginning to think I had found the only angel hater in existence. Blue faced angels are certainly a risk to nip softies however the more noxious varieties such as zoa and Mushroom are generally safe. If your interested in a totally reef safe large angel check out the Genicanthus. However I am guessing it is the fact that Blue faced eat aiptasia that has you interested. There are so many fish to recommend but to keep it short I'll just shout out one more genus at that is the meiacanthus (or fanged tooth) blenny.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest against the Unicorn and Sailfin tangs. IMO, they will get too large. I would aso suggest a harem of Centropyge angels. From your avatar, I see that you have Flameback angels before, I would suggest Flameback instead of Cherub. I like them much better. Or if you want flashiness and bright color then Flame angels.
Cover top is a must. As is I think you will lose some of your wrasse in 4 weeks. Fairy and flasher are such jumpers.
Consier a harem of Royal Gramma. I always keep a group of Royal Gramma when I keep them.
Consider Regal or Majestic angels. They are my favorite. I guess they don't get named Majestic and Regal for no reason.
Lastly, I think the rock structure in your tank can be improve upon. If I have that tank, I would get more branches and flat plates so that I can get more in the rock opening so that the rock structure are more friendly to the smaller reef fishes.
Looking good. Good luck with your tank.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest against the Unicorn and Sailfin tangs. IMO, they will get too large. I would aso suggest a harem of Centropyge angels. From your avatar, I see that you have Flameback angels before, I would suggest Flameback instead of Cherub. I like them much better. Or if you want flashiness and bright color then Flame angels.
Cover top is a must. As is I think you will lose some of your wrasse in 4 weeks. Fairy and flasher are such jumpers.
Consier a harem of Royal Gramma. I always keep a group of Royal Gramma when I keep them.
Consider Regal or Majestic angels. They are my favorite. I guess they don't get named Majestic and Regal for no reason.
Lastly, I think the rock structure in your tank can be improve upon. If I have that tank, I would get more branches and flat plates so that I can get more in the rock opening so that the rock structure are more friendly to the smaller reef fishes.
Thank you for your advise. Unicorn and Sailfin would probably get to big. Maybe I'll break down and get a Yellow tang. I just can not stand the pricing now, they use to be so inexpensive. I already put a Cherub in the tank and have a Flameback in my smaller reef tank. The top is on the way but Clearview Lids has a 3 month back order. Hopefully in another 30 days it will be here. With the wrasses it was touch in go when I added the Orange back. The Tri colored didn't like him and kept him at bay and hovering in the top corner of the tank for about 10 days. I was worried and check the floor often. They have settled down now. Done with the rock. It is 200 lbs of KP Caribbean live rock shipped in water and almost broke me lol. Its beautiful. Shipping alone was over 400. There are a lot of hiding spots for smaller fish and even some spaces tangs can get in. Navarchus is an excellent idea and something I will consider. Thanks again for the ideas!

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current fish are....
Cherub Pygmy
Tri colored wrasse.
Orangeback Fairy wrasse
Royal Gramma Basslet
Bi-colored Blenny

Open to suggestions.

2 Centropyge Angels,

Kole Tang
Gem Tang
Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tang

Last but not least...
Blueface Angelfish!

192 79.jpg
Unicorn will be to large in the long run

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I’d do a harem of Cherubs. Might still be possible to add 2 smaller ones so your current one will become the male.

As for Firefish, they need to be kept in confirmed pairs. However if you want a schooling alternative you can keep Blue Gudgeon, Zebra and Scissortail Dartfish in multiples. They don’t seem to fight with Firefish as far as I know.

As for Tangs: I’d cross out the Naso and Sailfin. They need that big 8-10ft tank. You could add the Gem and Purple at the same time, or use an acclimation box if adding separately. I’d add the Gem before the Purple in the latter case. The Kole Tang sounds good, and I’d probably also add an Acanthurus Tang like a Lavender, Mimic / Chocolate, maybe a Japonicus (one out of these). That gives you 4 Tangs.

You could add a couple Halichoeres wrasses but better to mix species with 1 specimen of each species rather than a group as they tend to turn male. They’re good pest eaters and beautiful colors when they turn male.

A pair of a smaller Genicanthus species would be great. A pair of Bellus, Watanabei, Spotbreast or the rarer Masked Swallowtails make a great addition IMO. If you’re willing to take a bit more of a risk with corals, one or a pair of Captive Bred Goldflake Angels from Bali Aquarich (if you can somehow procure them) would be great. In fact I’m planning to have a pair for my upgrade. An alternative would be a pair of Regals, if you can handle the difficulty. Try to get ones not from Indonesia or the Philippines. That is, Fiji, Maldives and the Red Sea.

Another fish if you don’t mind the difficulty that you can consider would be a Copperband Butterfly or the Yellow Longnose Butterfly. However I’d rather not mix them with a bunch of Tangs.

Foxfaces make good algae eaters. A Fiji Bicolor or Majestic would be my choice if available.

You could do a Blue Face Angel in a 192G, though not sure how big they get. I’d make it your largest angel.

And just about any smaller fish would fit in your tank. Shrimp and Goby pairs, basslets, Assessors, Hawkfish (some risk to inverts- Flame and Longnose are the most popular), and some relatively more mild-mannered damsels (Talbot’s, Azure, Rolland’s, Blue Sapphire, Tracey’s, Neon, Allen’s, Starcki’s etc.)

A deepwater Roaops butterfly would be another option if you can afford it. Burgess, Mitratus, Declivis, not sure if you can still get Tinker’s (Hawaiian endemic). You could do maybe 2-3 Yellow Pyramid Butterflies but that’s too much bioload especially considering how keen you are on getting Tangs. I would stop at maybe 6-7 large fish (large as in 6+ inches and active swimmers).

Leopard Wrasses (if you don’t mind the difficulty).

You might be able to do Flame and Lemonpeel in that sizes tank without them fighting with each other and with your Cherub. I take back what I said about the harem of Cherubs though that IMO would be interesting.

Add all Tangs at the same time if possible. If not use acclimation box. If adding separately Purple goes last.

If you have the patience to make it eat, a Marine Betta would be great. I’d add it before any Tangs or Large Angels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, its funny you say that. My Orange-back Fairy Wrasse is gone as of yesterday evening.
I can not find it on the floor anywhere. Its been away for 24 hours. Could it be hiding that long?

Also I am taking your advice and adding some more flat rocks in the back. I got some "Real Reef Rock" from the LFS.
Heck its just as expensive as Aquaculture rock from the ocean. It sure is plain looking lol. I guess coralline will cover it soon.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right you were. All 3 wrasses, Ruby Long fin, Tri colored and Orange Back all tile surfed. Also a Diamond Goby. :(

No more fish until Clearview Pisces EXO gets here. Scheduled build date for top is May 6th. Patiently waiting.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth the wait

I have had mine now for a month plus and could not be happier

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tops finally here! It took right at three months but well worth the wait. They fit perfectly. Tops were scheduled for delivery on Friday. I had planned on wrasse shopping Saturday but unfortunately when I got home my AC was out.

Fortunately it was cool outside. I had to go into rescue mode. Fans on the tanks and sumps. Freezing water bottles. My Reefer 250 did hit 83 at one point but I managed it. Today it got hot but the AC was repaired by noon. All is well!

Wrasse shopping very soon. :cool:

20210515_082706.jpg
20210515_082757.jpg

Attachments

• 20210515_082706.jpg
    20210515_082706.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210515_082757.jpg
    20210515_082757.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Firefish, they need to be kept in confirmed pairs. However if you want a schooling alternative you can keep Blue Gudgeon, Zebra and Scissortail Dartfish in multiples. They don’t seem to fight with Firefish as far as I know.
This is in my Reefer 250 not the 900 but, I got a Diamond goby and 3 Firefish. The Firefish appreciate the goby because they sleep in his hole. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and took this pic while they were asleep.

I guess they are a confirmed trio? :D I'll be back on the 900 Soon.

20210520_093521.jpg
20210520_092441.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have lids I have added several more fish. Here they are so far.

Cherub Pygmy
Flame Angel
African Flameback Angel (moved over from my Reefer 250)
Tri colored wrasse.
Orangeback Fairy wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Royal Gramma Basslet
Canary Blenny...

Getting ready to add 4 Tangs all at once..
Gem Tang
Purple tang
Kole Tang and
Clown Tang.

I wonder how that will work out?

Last edited:

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I just added a sailfin and a tomini tang to my 125 g. I've read some sites that say min 125 and some that say 180. The upper half of my tank is completely open and the fish store said it would be fine and that if I ever thought it was getting too big could return for store credit. I would have loved a yellow but they are charging $500 so :(

I was between the tomini and a kole... Tough decision. The kole was bigger and very comfortable out and about. The tomini was more skittish and smaller. I think he is slowly getting more comfortable though.

I've only read about clown tangs but would be concerned with the aggression.

Edit: Mine is the regular and not desjardini / red sea, but both are very pretty fish :)

20210522_184454_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Pics soon.

I did add a yellow and purple wrasse. He comes out in the morning and then buries himself for the Rest of the day.

I added FIVE Tangs yesterday! :D Here's the list

Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Yellow Eyed Kole Tang
Clown Tang.

They are all getting along great and eating well. The 3 Zebras school together and graze together. If one sees the other grazing on some thing he comes over and grazes also. 20 fish now. It is looking good and full.

Now for an Angel Fish. Which one? Two? I think I will wait a while to decide but if you all have any ideas please chime in!

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a coral beauty... I was between that and a flame angel. But the flame was $140 and the CB was $45. The blue/oranges is really pretty and sort of phosphorescent.

If cost us no issue then I think it just comes down to the color you want to add.

20210530_163747.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back