Stocking List advise and suggestions 192g...

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a coral beauty... I was between that and a flame angel. But the flame was $140 and the CB was $45. The blue/oranges is really pretty and sort of phosphorescent.

If cost us no issue then I think it just comes down to the color you want to add.

20210530_163747.jpg
Beautiful fish. Wow that's way to much for a Flame Angel. That was my next choice just didn't want more that 3.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clown Tang died after 3 days. Just added this Naso Tang. I think I will add a Fox Face next and the final Angel Fish. Still not set on the Angel.

He hasn't eaten yet. He did eat at the LFS.

IMG_0918 (2).JPG
IMG_0941 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss of the Clown Tang. What happened? :(
I'm not sure. I thought maybe he had Marine Velvet because he swam into the power heads all day and even night. There were no physical signs of it. He ate the first couple of days. Never did find his body.. I guess the crabs got him.

The Naso has not eaten yet although he is picking on the rocks.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch sorry to hear about your difficulties. Didn’t realize Nasos could also be so much trouble. I honestly find the Unicorn Tangs more appealing than the Nasos.

My favorites overall still have to be Zebrasoma and Cthenochaetus. Zebrasomas IMO just have a beautiful body shape. I don’t like the very elongated “snout” of the Rostratum (Black) but Yellow, Purple, Gem, and both Sailfins are great.

IMO the White Tail, both Hawaiian and Indian Ocean Kole Tangs, and a mature Striated Bristletooth Tang are all quite pretty. Tomini is more subtle but I love the orange rims.

Overall my favorite fish family are angels followed by butterflies.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch sorry to hear about your difficulties. Didn’t realize Nasos could also be so much trouble. I honestly find the Unicorn Tangs more appealing than the Nasos.

My favorites overall still have to be Zebrasoma and Cthenochaetus. Zebrasomas IMO just have a beautiful body shape. I don’t like the very elongated “snout” of the Rostratum (Black) but Yellow, Purple, Gem, and both Sailfins are great.

IMO the White Tail, both Hawaiian and Indian Ocean Kole Tangs, and a mature Striated Bristletooth Tang are all quite pretty. Tomini is more subtle but I love the orange rims.

Overall my favorite fish family are angels followed by butterflies.
I agree with your last sentence, mine are angels then butterflies too. Too bad they are not all reef safe :(

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clown Tang died after 3 days. Just added this Naso Tang. I think I will add a Fox Face next and the final Angel Fish. Still not set on the Angel.

He hasn't eaten yet. He did eat at the LFS.

IMG_0918 (2).JPG
IMG_0941 (2).JPG
My Naso tang I named Noodles because she would only eat Grape Caulerpa algae and that's it. She sucked it down whole like a little kid eating Sagitta. I started plucking the refugium dry. Every day I put Grape Caulerpa in for her. Left town for one night so the fish didn't eat for about 30 hours. Feed the fish when I got home. After 1 month she finally decided she like Mysis Shrimp Yhaaaaa

I added a Foxface and makes 20 fish. Now I need to decide on the Show Angel. So many choices?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then. My 240 gal. FOWLR is full of fish and they are all doing well.
Full except one one. My Show Angel. Which one to choose. I am very open to suggestions and would like to here from large angel owners with there experiences. I am patrial to The Blue Faced (Pomacanthus xanthometopon) or Scribbled Angel (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi). Anyone have experiece with those?

Here is what is in the tank so far.

Cherub Angel
Flame Angel
Flameback Angel
5 Blue Eyed Sea Goldys, Anthias
Royal Grama
Orange back Wrasse
Tri Colored Wasse
Ruby Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Long Nose Hawkfish
Fox Face
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Kole Tang
Blonde Naso Tang

I have had these 2 books for 30 yaers and have read from cover to cover several times dreaning....Its time to pic 1

20210817_161207.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then. My 240 gal. FOWLR is full of fish and they are all doing well.
Full except one one. My Show Angel. Which one to choose. I am very open to suggestions and would like to here from large angel owners with there experiences. I am patrial to The Blue Faced (Pomacanthus xanthometopon) or Scribbled Angel (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi). Anyone have experiece with those?

Here is what is in the tank so far.

Cherub Angel
Flame Angel
Flameback Angel
5 Blue Eyed Sea Goldys, Anthias
Royal Grama
Orange back Wrasse
Tri Colored Wasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Long Nose Hawkfish
Fox Face
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Kole Tang
Blonde Naso Tang

I have had these 2 books for 30 yaers and have read from cover to cover several times dreaning....Its time to pic 1

20210817_161207.jpg
@Jeffcb I have the very same two books I bought from eBay 18 years ago! Personally I’m impartial to Regal Angels as far as Large Angels are concerned. Love those stripes!!!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb I have the very same two books I bought from eBay 18 years ago! Personally I’m impartial to Regal Angels as far as Large Angels are concerned. Love those stripes!!!
I like the Regal Angel also and looked at one the other day at a LFS. Its hard to get them to eat. After 10 days it still dosnt eat. I have thought about a Regal And a Blue Face. idk

Last edited:

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have kept a blue face adult about 10-11 inches long, they for sure eat zoanthids. I wanted to seed its tank with green eagle eyes colony and they were destroyed in under an hour. Fast forward 10 years, i have a large emperor angel now, i might try to seed zoa's from my nano and ill report back, but i think the angel will eat it.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ol' Blue. Got him a couple of weeks ago. Very shy at first but is eating well now.

Thinking about adding a couple more tangs. possibly a Bariene or a Maculiceps. Or maybe both.
I really want a Vlamingi but I am afraid my tanks is to small.

Not sure whats next.

IMG_2996 (2).jpg
IMG_3133 (2).jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a small to med Vlamingi Tang. Thoughts?

Here is what's in the tanks so far. The tank is 79inches long.

Cherub Angel
Flame Angel
Flameback Angel
4 Blue Eyed Sea Goldys, Anthias
Royal Grama
Orange back Wrasse
Tri Colored Wasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Long Nose Hawkfish
Fox Face
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Kole Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Face Angel

Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, its funny you say that. My Orange-back Fairy Wrasse is gone as of yesterday evening.
I can not find it on the floor anywhere. Its been away for 24 hours. Could it be hiding that long?

Also I am taking your advice and adding some more flat rocks in the back. I got some "Real Reef Rock" from the LFS.
Heck its just as expensive as Aquaculture rock from the ocean. It sure is plain looking lol. I guess coralline will cover it soon.
Wrasses hide for weeks on end if they’re new to a tank, it’s not unusual to lose a wrasse for weeks and then have it “resubmerge” to not have it look completely fine. I think of it as hibernation for fish, as long as they calm down I can calm down. Don’t go moving rockwork to find him as that will throw more stress on him, and every wrasse WILL jump. If they get spooked they will jump and here’s why:

In the wild these fish can be found anywhere from 3 meters to 60 meters+ down so the surface is never right above them meaning when they get spooked they swim up. In our aquariums when they get spooked they do the same behaviour except there is only 23-22” of room (usually 24” if there’s no sand bed and it’s not a shallow tank). Because of there only being about 22” of water to swim up, these fish tend to carpet surf so what prevents this is the fine mesh lids (I am against the whole heavy lid idea because of that being how my first naoko fairy got a spinal injury).

As for the other fish, I would recommend against Z. desjardini (Although, I have only seen 9-10” ones it does have a possibility of getting to 16”). Looking at these guys are dinner plates, their fins aren’t the same as other Zebrasoma tangs. They’re bigger which is often why people like them so much, I’d love a Z. velifer just to see an adult since you never find adult velifer sailfins and only see adult desjardini sailfins but both have that chance to get to a similar size unfortunately.

Naso and Vlamingii tangs will go downhill. Vlamingiis get giant (I was offered one or a regal for a 3’ tank… BAD IDEA, they get to 18”). Because of the vlamingii and naso having same body shapes and the same genus they are bound to fight unfortunately. Adding any tank after a scopas is going to lead to a blood battle, mine murdered ANYTHING to go in the tank so I recommend adding nothing else and letting everything grow out since it’s under an 8’ tank and most fish there get either a foot long or bigger and most if not all of them are highly active.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses hide for weeks on end if they’re new to a tank, it’s not unusual to lose a wrasse for weeks and then have it “resubmerge” to not have it look completely fine. I think of it as hibernation for fish, as long as they calm down I can calm down. Don’t go moving rockwork to find him as that will throw more stress on him, and every wrasse WILL jump. If they get spooked they will jump and here’s why:

In the wild these fish can be found anywhere from 3 meters to 60 meters+ down so the surface is never right above them meaning when they get spooked they swim up. In our aquariums when they get spooked they do the same behaviour except there is only 23-22” of room (usually 24” if there’s no sand bed and it’s not a shallow tank). Because of there only being about 22” of water to swim up, these fish tend to carpet surf so what prevents this is the fine mesh lids (I am against the whole heavy lid idea because of that being how my first naoko fairy got a spinal injury).

As for the other fish, I would recommend against Z. desjardini (Although, I have only seen 9-10” ones it does have a possibility of getting to 16”). Looking at these guys are dinner plates, their fins aren’t the same as other Zebrasoma tangs. They’re bigger which is often why people like them so much, I’d love a Z. velifer just to see an adult since you never find adult velifer sailfins and only see adult desjardini sailfins but both have that chance to get to a similar size unfortunately.

Naso and Vlamingii tangs will go downhill. Vlamingiis get giant (I was offered one or a regal for a 3’ tank… BAD IDEA, they get to 18”). Because of the vlamingii and naso having same body shapes and the same genus they are bound to fight unfortunately. Adding any tank after a scopas is going to lead to a blood battle, mine murdered ANYTHING to go in the tank so I recommend adding nothing else and letting everything grow out since it’s under an 8’ tank and most fish there get either a foot long or bigger and most if not all of them are highly active.
At the time the wrasse were disappearing I did have tops. Now I have tops and have replaced them. I did find 1 behind the tank but the others disappeared. The 4 I have now are doing great. They do jump from time to time but the top keeps them in.

The Vllamingiis I am looking at is about 3 plus inches. I wonder how long it would take for him to outgrow the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time the wrasse were disappearing I did have tops. Now I have tops and have replaced them. I did find 1 behind the tank but the others disappeared. The 4 I have now are doing great. They do jump from time to time but the top keeps them in.

The Vllamingiis I am looking at is about 3 plus inches. I wonder how long it would take for him to outgrow the tank.
These tangs need Atleast 9’ by the end of it IMHO, they do not stay small or chill round the tank.
Even with the tangs already in there they wouldn’t appreciate a 5th, I mean Gem tangs get 1’, purple tangs get 7-8”, Scopas tangs get 9-10”, Naso’s can get 18”, Koles can get 8”, Blue face angels can get 1’+, the Foxface will get to Atleast 9”, and the tang capacity IMHO has already been hit for that size tank. You already have 6-7 fish that get around 1’. A vlamgingii will get close to 2’ long, maybe if the naso wasn’t in there then it could work but because you have a naso I advise against it.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not help myself. I added a 4 inch Big Nose Unicornfish, Vlamingi Tang. I know he will get re-home years from now. I think Sea World and the local Zoo will take them if you know someone. I have a friend that has a 12 year old Vlamingi that is a little over 12 inches. They had that one in a 350 gallon frag tank temporally. He followed everyone around like a puppy dog and would let you look at the corals lol. They are beautiful fish.

My Naso tang (Hot Lips) is a little larger and is flipping him a little tail now and then but I think they will be ok.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not help myself. I added a 4 inch Big Nose Unicornfish, Vlamingi Tang. I know he will get re-home years from now. I think Sea World and the local Zoo will take them if you know someone. I have a friend that has a 12 year old Vlamingi that is a little over 12 inches. They had that one in a 350 gallon frag tank temporally. He followed everyone around like a puppy dog and would let you look at the corals lol. They are beautiful fish.

My Naso tang (Hot Lips) is a little larger and is flipping him a little tail now and then but I think they will be ok.
As expected from a fish in the same genus as the other two. Both of those fish need to be rehomed when they get to Atleast 9”, they don’t stay 12” all the time and even then they look huge compared to the tank. I’ve seen a 13” one in an 8’x4’x4’ tank and that made the tank look small at that. I know these guys are beautiful as male however, they don’t transition before 9” IME. I think the other thing that will make these guys look big in that tank is they get taller than you’d think so if that’s 2’ tall it will look more like 1’ tall at around 7” haha.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pics please. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back