Stocking list

James Moreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 60 gallon reef and I’ve decided to go with 5 reef chromis, yellow wrasse, lawnmower blenny, pair of clowns. Anything else I can add ?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With gobies as long as the sand has had a chance to settle in and develop organisms for them to eat (ie been in the tank over a month) then it is good to go unless you get some really coarse gritty sand. Also just a personal thing for me but I would go with a Melanurus Wrasse over the Yellow. Way more variety of color.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but they are more aggressive than the yellow.

Interesting. I've never seen aggression with a Melanurus. I have seen it stick up for itself when bullied by a clownfish (boy did that clownfish ever regret that) but other than that it has been a model citizen.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've never seen aggression with a Melanurus. I have seen it stick up for itself when bullied by a clownfish (boy did that clownfish ever regret that) but other than that it has been a model citizen.
They aren't nearly as aggressive as a sixline, but they can throw their weight around, especially when well established.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't nearly as aggressive as a sixline, but they can throw their weight around, especially when well established.

I guess part of it for me is that mine is still a young juvie.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Firefish gobies and anthias

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With gobies as long as the sand has had a chance to settle in and develop organisms for them to eat (ie been in the tank over a month) then it is good to go unless you get some really coarse gritty sand. Also just a personal thing for me but I would go with a Melanurus Wrasse over the Yellow. Way more variety of color.
Agree with the melanarus 100% . Very vibrant colorful fish, especially for the cost!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very laid back, never seen any aggressive behavior. Now my tangs, that's a different story!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus wrasse it is !

Agreed, in a 60 gallon tank that will make a nice centerpiece fish for you in the long run. They look rather dull and drab as a juvenile but if they become male (which most do in single fish situations) then you get a fish that looks like this:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Blenny if you want personality.
2) Basslets are really nice that cave dwell. Some really nice colors. Especially the Swissguard basslet or Golden Assessor basslet.
3) Dwarf Angel. Add one last, but really watch them in the store. If they show aggressive behavior. Pass on it. Make sure you don't have fish that can't handle a boss in the tank like chromis.
4) gobies I had a bad experience with for aggression. Get them a pistol shrimp buddy.
5) mandarin dragonet only if you are serious about taking care of it. Pm me and I can teach you. I really don't mind.
6) scissor tail or grammica lined dartfish I find are better than a goby.
7) wrasse- Mckosker, Flasher, Yellow & Purple(4 spot), yellow or green coris, melanurus
8) Helfrichi firefish
9) IMO stay away from a neon dottyback or six line wrasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back