Stocking Order and Possible Suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a short list for a 230g, what other fish would you be interested in.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, there lies my problem. Despite being a year in, I'm still not overly familiar with all types of fish and what may or may not get along with what, hence the thread, and a lot of fish people seem to like, butterflies and such, just not a fan of. Already some of my favourites are out based on edibility, rarity or cost.

A foxface, perhaps. Neat fish, spines to keep it safe, and would hopefully help control nuisance algae since CuC will be limited by the eel/trigger.

Would love to get my Marine Betta a mate, but that has a whole host of challenges associated with it. One concern with these ones in an aggressive tank is their big fins getting torn up in fights. So far hasn't been an issue, but aside from the eel, it's the biggest fish I have.

In my looking for fish that fit the general requirements, larger, semi-aggressive/aggressive, I keep coming back to tangs, though I do believe there's a good probability of murder happening keeping a bunch of different tangs.

My aforementioned friend with the Purple is trying to get me to take his Tomini too. Apparently gets along fabulously with the Purple.

Convict Tangs would stand out amazing against the mostly darker colored fish, and have heard they can have some interesting behaviors.

Looking at the Rhinecanthus genus Triggers, the Bursa is a neat one, though somewhat concerned about the logistics to feeding two Triggers properly. Haven't seen in shell clams in months. Fresh or frozen.

Same with lions, dwarf fuzzies are one of my favourites, but between my previous failure and their being more than happy to devour my fish (let alone the proper diet!), I'd be hesitant to give it a go.

Spanish Hogfish was recommended to me. Sounds like one might be a good fit, especially since again, CuC is already a no go for the most part. Interesting that they supposedly will eat parasites off other fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going suggest a foxface, I have a onespot, really like that fish. They will retreat when you are working in the tank, the only way you will get poked is if you are not paying attention.

Nigers and rhinecanthus triggers usually get along well, with a tank that long you'll have no problem spreading the food out.

As far as lions go, the only one I would recommend would be a volitan, they take to eating dead pretty easily.

I've always wanted a racoon butterfly, but never really had the tank for one, and now I have way too much yellow.

I don't know about much about hogfish but thet have always seemed interesting.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one spot was the exact one I was considering. As a peaceful (if pokey) fish, would definitely have to go in first I'm sure. No yellow fish yet, so that's even better. Lots of colour. Same with the raccoon butterfly, but a quick read on them they supposedly eat anenomes, so that's a no go. The clowns will be needing one, if just to keep the wee male safe(ish).

Will look into the hogfish, some folks on here likely have experience. Definitely seems like a good candidate. Not too many orange fish out there. Would love a Harlequin Tusk, but regardless of the predation problems, I can't justify a $500 fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an acanthurus tang. I just added a beautiful orange fish, a miniatus grouper, another fish that will eat anything that xan fit in their mouths.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I genuinely did not realize just how many genus of tangs there is.

A Convict tang for sure covers acanthurus.

Oh jeez, that grouper is a pretty fish. But sounds a little too hardcore for my tastes. I'd be worried about my clowns until the female is fully grown.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back