Stocking plan for 57 gallon

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 57 gallon mixed reef tank. It should be cycled soon and I am working on the stocking plan together. I am thinking these 9-10 fish would be too many for a 57 gallon but so far these are my favorites. I tried to put them in order of stocking (first to last, peaceful to aggressive) based on my research.

2-3 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris clownfish
Firefish
Diamond goby
Yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Tailspot blenny
Wrasse (Scarlet pin stripe, Melanurus, pink-streaked, yellowfin flasher, filamented flasher, yellow, 6 line)

Tank dimensions: 36" long x 24" wide x 16" tall
Sandbed: 2" Fiji Pink with a liberal amount of rock work, caves, etc

Is this a good order? Would you eliminate any? Thanks. I included a couple pictures of the scape to get an idea for hiding places, caves, etc.

IMG_9096.JPG IMG_9095.JPG IMG_9094.JPG

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like a good lineup! Are you going to decide on one wrasse from the listed species? Best of luck :)

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an butt load of wrasses! Haha yes just one. I don’t have any personal experience with them, only what I’ve read but there are a lot of varieties.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That would be an butt load of wrasses! Haha yes just one. I don’t have any personal experience with them, only what I’ve read but there are a lot of varieties.
Ok cool lol :) I'm sure others have more experience with wrasse than myself. However I think you'll be ok with the rest of your choices :) Best of luck. I will be following your build!

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! @Zach B

I still need to start a build thread on R2R but in the meantime here’s the link to my nano reef journal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 57 gallon mixed reef tank. It should be cycled soon and I am working on the stocking plan together. I am thinking these 9-10 fish would be too many for a 57 gallon but so far these are my favorites. I tried to put them in order of stocking (first to last, peaceful to aggressive) based on my research.

2-3 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris clownfish
Firefish
Diamond goby
Tailspot blenny
Wrasse (Scarlet pin stripe, Melanurus, pink-streaked, yellowfin flasher, filamented flasher, yellow, 6 line)

Tank dimensions: 36" long x 24" wide x 16" tall
Sandbed: 2" Fiji Pink with a liberal amount of rock work, caves, etc

Is this a good order? Would you eliminate any? Thanks. I included a couple pictures of the scape to get an idea for hiding places, caves, etc.

IMG_9096.JPG IMG_9095.JPG IMG_9094.JPG
Avoid the scarlet pin stripe and six line wrasses, these can be highly aggressive as they mature. Also avoid the flashers as their high activity level will cause them to get injured in a 36” tank. The Pink Streak may be a perfect choice though however I am just a tad biased to them as seen with my new article haha.
The Diamond Goby will need a deeper sand bed to thrive in the longrun unless you are willing to feed 4-6 times a day. The Watchman is a great choice though - just make sure the rock structure is stable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think thank you for the info and great article! The pink streaked wrasse sounds like a good option. I’m going to see if my LFS has them or can get them.

I will consider adding more sand for a diamond goby.

The rock structure is very stable. Spent a lot of time on it. A couple of the larger pieces I suspended above the sand bed about 2 inches with acrylic rods. The rest are sitting flat on the glass and balanced. It took me many hours.

I really appreciate the input!

Attachments

• FDBBA353-4D30-4F3B-98AB-8EA2071E336A.jpeg
    FDBBA353-4D30-4F3B-98AB-8EA2071E336A.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 28
  • F96F7DB8-639F-4187-9663-53A68A81C94A.jpeg
    F96F7DB8-639F-4187-9663-53A68A81C94A.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 9D20FFD0-0ACB-49E8-A72F-1951A4FB851C.jpeg
    9D20FFD0-0ACB-49E8-A72F-1951A4FB851C.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the scarlet pin stripe and six line wrasses, these can be highly aggressive as they mature. Also avoid the flashers as their high activity level will cause them to get injured in a 36” tank. The Pink Streak may be a perfect choice though however I am just a tad biased to them as seen with my new article haha.
The Diamond Goby will need a deeper sand bed to thrive in the longrun unless you are willing to feed 4-6 times a day. The Watchman is a great choice though - just make sure the rock structure is stable.
I think I am sold on the Pink Streaked wrasse. Would you agree with this stocking order? Sounds like perhaps the wrasse should be moved up the list as it may be less aggressive than some of the others, such as the clownfish.

3 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris clownfish
Firefish
Diamond goby
Tailspot blenny
Pink Streaked Wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am sold on the Pink Streaked wrasse. Would you agree with this stocking order? Sounds like perhaps the wrasse should be moved up the list as it may be less aggressive than some of the others, such as the clownfish.

3 Pajama Cardinals
2 Ocellaris clownfish
Firefish
Diamond goby
Tailspot blenny
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Add the Pink Streaked first, these are better in peaceful environments with absolutely no risk of aggression when establishing. Once established they can withstand a quite a bit of aggression.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think is right about adding pink streaked first. This has nothing to do with aggression but I would add the diamond watchman gobie last. The sand has to have enough biodiversity developed in order to sustain it’s nutritional needs. Even my local lfs had me wait an additional 2 months from when I went in to purchase it for this reason. That being said he/she is the biggest pig at feeding time. Also I didn’t see a lid on your tank. Clowns can be jumpers especially when chased and diamond watchman gobies are notorious jumpers. Good luck, I’ll be following. Also love your rock scape.

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think is right about adding pink streaked first. This has nothing to do with aggression but I would add the diamond watchman gobie last. The sand has to have enough biodiversity developed in order to sustain it’s nutritional needs. Even my local lfs had me wait an additional 2 months from when I went in to purchase it for this reason. That being said he/she is the biggest pig at feeding time. Also I didn’t see a lid on your tank. Clowns can be jumpers especially when chased and diamond watchman gobies are notorious jumpers. Good luck, I’ll be following. Also love your rock scape.
Thank you and yes I am going to wait until the substrate is at least somewhat mature to add the watchman goby and diamond goby. I ordered a lid and it should be here soon. Will aim to add the pink streaked wrasse first and I’m currently inquiring with LFS for availability.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back