Stocking question

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m looking for advice if I’m at my limit of my tank? What could I add more of? And what inverts I could add? I’m also upgrading the tank in a couple months from a 65g to 150g. My current stock list is 2 clownfish, 4 chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 brittle starfish, anemones, coral, a couple hermit crabs and sand snails.
Edit: Tank is 8 months old
EB63BF70-974E-4A39-B06B-F2762AA28841.jpeg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks to me like you have a fair balance established in the tank.

What do your nutrients look like

do not appear to be up against a limit in your fish...

what are your goals for this tank and the next?

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks to me like you have a fair balance established in the tank.

What do your nutrients look like

do not appear to be up against a limit in your fish...

what are your goals for this tank and the next?
Ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-20 phosphates at .2
My goals for this tank is to just grow out the anemones and get live stock ready for the big one. I’d would like to add a goby or six line but I’m not sure how many fish I could get before I’m considered overstocked.
The next tank my goal would be mostly anemones and coral.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say a very rough estimate/limit is 2 fish for every 10 gallons in an established tank. The main limitations for fish in a tank is aggression/habitat area for fish and filtration I believe. If you have good filtration and/or regular water changes you could add quite a lot to it. I think a goby would be a great addition as something for the bottom of your tank. I'm personally not a fan of the sixtine but I think your tank could easily handle both fish. Blenny, basslet, fairy/flasher wrasse, foxface etc are all great for any tank. Just don't add too quickly.

It may be difficult to catch the sixtine though so you may want to wait till the next tank for that reason.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i can put a number on it… maybe a sand dwelling fish, a perching fish and maybe a wrasse? Aggression comes into play as well. How big are the current fish?

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say a very rough estimate/limit is 2 fish for every 10 gallons in an established tank. The main limitations for fish in a tank is aggression/habitat area for fish and filtration I believe. If you have good filtration and/or regular water changes you could add quite a lot to it. I think a goby would be a great addition as something for the bottom of your tank. I'm personally not a fan of the sixtine but I think your tank could easily handle both fish. Blenny, basslet, fairy/flasher wrasse, foxface etc are all great for any tank. Just don't add too quickly.

It may be difficult to catch the sixtine though so you may want to wait till the next tank for that reason.
I do water changes every Saturday or Sunday. My sump is just a filter sock, lots of bio balls and rocks, heater, and return since I only have half a inch of space.(sump to tall to fit anything like a big skimmer). Thats great I never thought I could have a fox face before or a blenny. I’ll also hold off getting a sixline till I get a bigger tank.
Edit: I forgot to add I have a Octo 1000 HOB skimmer since I don’t have room in the sump.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i can put a number on it… maybe a sand dwelling fish, a perching fish and maybe a wrasse? Aggression comes into play as well. How big are the current fish?
Most are about a inch and a half or smaller but only 2 fish are bigger. My female clown (1.5-2 inches) is only shows aggression to me lol. Only one of my chromis are close to the size of the female clown.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes every Saturday or Sunday. My sump is just a filter sock, lots of bio balls and rocks, heater, and return since I only have half a inch of space.(sump to tall to fit anything like a big skimmer). Thats great I never thought I could have a fox face before or a blenny. I’ll also hold off getting a sixline till I get a bigger tank.
Edit: I forgot to add I have a Octo 1000 HOB skimmer since I don’t have room in the sump.
That's a great schedule and good filtration and should control your nutrients well.

Foxface are great! Peaceful and will eat nuisance algae you just need a big enough tank for when they get full grown and that 150 will be enough for all foxface species.
Blennies don't need big tanks. I think the only con of them is that they don't get on with firefish and other blennies.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great schedule and good filtration and should control your nutrients well.
Foxface are great! Peaceful and will eat nuisance algae you just need a big enough tank for when they get full grown and that 150 will be enough for all foxface species.
Blennies don't need big tanks. I think the only con of them is that they don't get on with firefish and other blennies
Thank you I try keep a good schedule so I don’t have to worry if one week I can’t do it. Should I try find a small one like a baby or get an adult? Also is there any other fishes I could have that eat algae or pests in the tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I try keep a good schedule so I don’t have to worry if one week I can’t do it. Should I try find a small one like a baby or get an adult? Also is there any other fishes I could have that eat algae or pests in the tank?
Foxface? Any size but I'd get a small one, they've got spines so other fish don't bully them. A lawnmower blenny will also eat a lot of algae but isn't as pretty as other blennies. Tangs are also algae eaters but should be added last due to aggression. A yellow or any of the bristeltooth will work for you.
Do you have any specific pests you're worried about? Six line and melanarus wrasses are general pest easters.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface? Any size but I'd get a small one, they've got spines so other fish don't bully them. A lawnmower blenny will also eat a lot of algae but isn't as pretty as other blennies. Tangs are also algae eaters but should be added last due to aggression. A yellow or any of the bristeltooth will work for you.
Do you have any specific pests you're worried about? Six line and melanarus wrasses are general pest easters.
I’m a bit worried because occasionally I’ll see a red flatworm or two in my smaller tank holding the pending corals for my bigger tank. My main concern would be the flatworms, any bristle worms, and aptaisa. Also thank you I’d look for a foxface since I have algae I’d like to reduce.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrasses will eat the worms so long as the worms aren't too big. For Aiptasia peppermint shrimp work for me.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A springeri damsel will help with flatworms, and they are one of the few fairly peaceful damsels.

I'd also recommend a smaller blenny. I have a tail-spot and a bicolor in my 80g lagoon, and they have enough room in there to avoid each other. They are super personable, and have amusing behavior, watching you through the glass. If you want to be safe with all corals, go with the tail-spot (bicolors are hit and miss with nipping at some LPS and SPS).

Do you have a sandbed? A smaller Halichoeres wrasse would also help with pest control if you have a sandbed for it to sleep in. Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres biocellatus are two good options.

Fairy wrasse are a gorgeous showy option as well. They don't do much for utility, but they are super colorful.

If you're not concerned about possible coral nipping, a dwarf angelfish like a coral beauty, flame, or flameback are super active, always swimming through the rockwork and looking for snacks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say a very rough estimate/limit is 2 fish for every 10 gallons in an established tank. The main limitations for fish in a tank is aggression/habitat area for fish and filtration I believe. If you have good filtration and/or regular water changes you could add quite a lot to it. I think a goby would be a great addition as something for the bottom of your tank.
In theory if that was true, I would only be able to have 4 fish in a 20g tank, when reality is I have 9 fish in my RS Max Nano.
Obviously, they’re all low bioload (6 Gobies, 1 Linear Blenny, 1 Naoko Fairy Wrasse, 1 Blue Star Leopard Wrasse).

I’m a bit worried because occasionally I’ll see a red flatworm or two in my smaller tank holding the pending corals for my bigger tank. My main concern would be the flatworms, any bristle worms, and aptaisa. Also thank you I’d look for a foxface since I have algae I’d like to reduce.
I’d personally skip the sixline, they don’t mix well with other wrasses and it becomes a murder scene in many cases. I’d personally go for a Halichoeres iridis and a Halichoeres leucoxanthus. These are both small species of Halichoeres and remain highly peaceful. Then in the larger tank I’d personally start adding to the wrasses and making a list of the Fairies, Flashers, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Pseudojuloides ect… that you like the look of and then put it in the Wrasse Lovers Thread and we can help you with it. Breaking down wrasse lists of what will and won’t work is one thing we enjoy along with IDing wrasses and seeing photos of them.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A springeri damsel will help with flatworms, and they are one of the few fairly peaceful damsels.

I'd also recommend a smaller blenny. I have a tail-spot and a bicolor in my 80g lagoon, and they have enough room in there to avoid each other. They are super personable, and have amusing behavior, watching you through the glass. If you want to be safe with all corals, go with the tail-spot (bicolors are hit and miss with nipping at some LPS and SPS).

Do you have a sandbed? A smaller Halichoeres wrasse would also help with pest control if you have a sandbed for it to sleep in. Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres biocellatus are two good options.

Fairy wrasse are a gorgeous showy option as well. They don't do much for utility, but they are super colorful.

If you're not concerned about possible coral nipping, a dwarf angelfish like a coral beauty, flame, or flameback are super active, always swimming through the rockwork and looking for snacks.
I’ve heard of those damsels before I just was never able to find them in any fish stores near me. I have a sand bed that’s 1.5 inches in most places and a inch in others. I also seen coral beauty’s in my local fish store there very colorful.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-20 phosphates at .2
My goals for this tank is to just grow out the anemones and get live stock ready for the big one. I’d would like to add a goby or six line but I’m not sure how many fish I could get before I’m considered overstocked.
The next tank my goal would be mostly anemones and coral.
I don’t know if anyone has said anything yet, but it’s a worse than coin toss on what kind of six line personality you will have. Devil or angel. There are plenty of other wrasses that will fit the bill nicely.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if anyone has said anything yet, but it’s a worse than coin toss on what kind of six line personality you will have. Devil or angel. There are plenty of other wrasses that will fit the bill nicely.
I would be remiss without saying that a good royal gramma will grow nicely into a tank, not too aggressive and doesn’t like to be bullied

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back