Stocking recommendations

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube with a eshopps cube medium under it so totaling about 70 something gallons of total water volume.

my current fish stocking:
2 davinci clowns
A purple fire fish
A Midas blenny
A high fin red barred goby
A biota blue mandarin

am I all ready out of space or could I do more?
If I can do more what would you suggest?
I’ve been toying with the idea of a biota coral beauty or flame angel or a wrasse of some sort.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably add 3-4 more fish. I like dottybacks, chromis, anthias, damsels...
Not sure I could get anthias. If I recall correctly it’s recommended they be in 70+ gallons and like to be in groups. Are they a fish that needs the tank size for the actual swimming room or for bio load reasons?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I could get anthias. If I recall correctly it’s recommended they be in 70+ gallons and like to be in groups. Are they a fish that needs the tank size for the actual swimming room or for bio load reasons?
I've got one marcia's that likes to swim with the chromis and three lyretail that occasionally swim together but are also off roaming the tank on their own quite often as well. Three of them basically spend most of their day in a corner of my 160-gallon display, so I don't think 70+ gallons is necessarily a hard and fast rule (unless we're talking about tangs, lol).

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one marcia's that likes to swim with the chromis and three lyretail that occasionally swim together but are also off roaming the tank on their own quite often as well. Three of them basically spend most of their day in a corner of my 160-gallon display, so I don't think 70+ gallons is necessarily a hard and fast rule (unless we're talking about tangs, lol).
Man I wish I could get a tang.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a dwarf angel (your tank is too small for medium or large angels), and a smaller wrasse, and an Azure Damsel. I’d get a Biota Coral Beauty unless someone knows of sources for CB Flames. CB might be slightly less aggressive.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same way. Angels over Tangs any day.

Ya every angel or butterfly I have had squashed a Tang in terms of personality and color.

I bet if all angels and butterflies were reef safe… they would be the hot item and not Tangs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same way. Angels over Tangs any day.
I used to love tangs but now, I agree with how tangs aren’t as good as everyone makes them out to be - Well, the bristletooths can hold quite good personalities however big ones like Leucosternon just swim the tang. It’s things the Achilles and uncommon bristletooths that I would rather want over the common tangs.

A fish that packs WAY more personality than both angelfish and tangs IMO are wrasses. I think a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki could fit into your tank and be just fine - If I could only choose one Lubbock variant it would be the indo variety, although I do have both variants in my 90g tank. I would say M. negrosensis is a good wrasse however, it’s not when you have a mandarin.
Anything from the lubbocki complex would fit, Most of the Cirrhilabrus wrasses that stay 4” or less would fit however they can be quite active sometimes.
Possum wrasses are limited because they’re also pod eaters, Cryptic pinstripes I still don’t quite know about. I have a cryptic pinstripe with my M. bipartitus in a 20g cube (It’s temporary for the bipartitus, don’t worry) and I can’t tell if my pod population is being eaten by both of them or just the bipartitus. So you could be lucky with a cryptic however, they are also VERY shy with other aggressive fish.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I love wrasse too! I have a wrasse dominant tank with a Copperband and a yellow tang and the tang is by far the most boring. Eats and poops and swims around.

The Copperband is so friendly and loves to shake its head for food and you could pet it if you wanted to. The wrasses are just fun and eyeballing and showing off.

Angelfish are curious creatures.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I love wrasse too! I have a wrasse dominant tank with a Copperband and a yellow tang and the tang is by far the most boring. Eats and poops and swims around.

The Copperband is so friendly and loves to shake its head for food and you could pet it if you wanted to. The wrasses are just fun and eyeballing and showing off.

Angelfish are curious creatures.
Yeah, they are definitely curious, I’m hoping to eventually get a Wrasse only tank with maybe one or two other fish, so fingers crossed in the near future I can get a 3’ tank to have around 4-5 wrasse (I already know which ones I want)

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a dwarf angel (your tank is too small for medium or large angels), and a smaller wrasse, and an Azure Damsel. I’d get a Biota Coral Beauty unless someone knows of sources for CB Flames. CB might be slightly less aggressive.
Not so sure about that damsel any video I’ve seen makes them it to be absolute terrors.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been toying with the idea of a biota coral beauty or flame angel or a wrasse of some sort.
A 2x2 footprint isn't enough space for a dwarf angel, in my opinion. The only wrasses I would recommend for a 2x2 would be the pink streak or one of the possum wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2x2 footprint isn't enough space for a dwarf angel, in my opinion. The only wrasses I would recommend for a 2x2 would be the pink streak or one of the possum wrasses.
C. lubbocki don’t NEED 3’+ tanks but would prefer it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back