Stocking recommendations

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m looking for some recommendations on additional stocking suggestions. I have a 140 gallon bare bottom tank. currently I have the following fish.

Purple tang
Fox face
Tomini tang
Two clowns
Four yellow tail damsels
One blue green chromis
Midas blenny

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, more damsels (talbots, smithi, similis, rollands, staghorns), more Chromis (I like greens, vanderbilts, and orange lined), various cardinals, fairy wrasses, maybe a few neon, sharknose, or redhead gobies. Fang blennies are also really nice. I like the black lined, smithi, and striped. Bartletts, lyretail, or bimaculatus anthias would also look good.

You've got lots of choices.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Flame angel
Convict or Lavender tang
copperband butterfly
engineer goby
banggai cardinal

Upvote 0

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do Lamarck’s get in captivity?

If any of you think they get a bit too large, OP I would suggest a pair of Spotbreast, or on the slightly pricier side, Bellus or Watanabei. You could also look into a pair of Chaetodontoplus like the Melanosoma, Caeruleopunctatus, maybe a few others in the family that remain smaller.

You could totally do a pair of dwarfs as well. A couple of angels look great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, more damsels (talbots, smithi, similis, rollands, staghorns), more Chromis (I like greens, vanderbilts, and orange lined), various cardinals, fairy wrasses, maybe a few neon, sharknose, or redhead gobies. Fang blennies are also really nice. I like the black lined, smithi, and striped. Bartletts, lyretail, or bimaculatus anthias would also look good.

You've got lots of choices.
Thank you!

with the anthias I have struggled in the past with their feeding requirements. As everything I see they require multiple feedings. Do you know of an easy way to overcome this? I do use an auto feeder with pellets for the whole of the tank. Guess I could get a second one if there is a different food type for them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do Lamarck’s get in captivity?

If any of you think they get a bit too large, OP I would suggest a pair of Spotbreast, or on the slightly pricier side, Bellus or Watanabei. You could also look into a pair of Chaetodontoplus like the Melanosoma, Caeruleopunctatus, maybe a few others in the family that remain smaller.

You could totally do a pair of dwarfs as well. A couple of angels look great.

I really like the idea of a pair of angles! The Spotbreast's look really nice.

So maybe this pair and a few more damsels. I am thinking wrasses might be an issue due to not having a sand bed.

Upvote 0

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

with the anthias I have struggled in the past with their feeding requirements. As everything I see they require multiple feedings. Do you know of an easy way to overcome this? I do use an auto feeder with pellets for the whole of the tank. Guess I could get a second one if there is a different food type for them.
We feed frozen before leaving for work in the morning, then have an autofeeder for pellets during the day while at work, then come home and feed frozen and live foods multiple times in the evening.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I’m looking for some recommendations on additional stocking suggestions. I have a 140 gallon bare bottom tank. currently I have the following fish.

Purple tang
Fox face
Tomini tang
Two clowns
Four yellow tail damsels
One blue green chromis
Midas blenny
Your current tangs won’t accept other tangs. I also wouldn’t do wrasses as the more aggressive tangs (Zebrasoma) may look stress them out, and the Fairies and Flashers we’d normally recommend can be rather prone to stress, Zebrasoma (Especially Xanthurum and Scopas) will be much more aggressive than people assume.

The Angels are a great shout however, the tomini won’t play well with a Genicanthus to start out with. Actually, my G. Melanospilos and C. Binotatus still have a small fight every so often after being with eachother for a year (I know, Shocking!).
If you have an acclimation box then I have no doubts you can do this and if you would like I can put together a list of wrasses I think would suit the tank (Also if you do want this then certain colours you’d like would be great to know)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current tangs won’t accept other tangs. I also wouldn’t do wrasses as the more aggressive tangs (Zebrasoma) may look stress them out, and the Fairies and Flashers we’d normally recommend can be rather prone to stress, Zebrasoma (Especially Xanthurum and Scopas) will be much more aggressive than people assume.

The Angels are a great shout however, the tomini won’t play well with a Genicanthus to start out with. Actually, my G. Melanospilos and C. Binotatus still have a small fight every so often after being with eachother for a year (I know, Shocking!).
If you have an acclimation box then I have no doubts you can do this and if you would like I can put together a list of wrasses I think would suit the tank (Also if you do want this then certain colours you’d like would be great to know)
I totally agree with the evaluation on the Tangs. Love the two I have and they keep my tank clean. After reviewing some of the information I am leaning towards a pair of Genicanthus melanospilos to round out the larger fish.
Then I can add some smith damsels for a little more color.

with regards to the Genicanthus melanospilos is there any special considerations regarding their diet? How often are you feeding them?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with the evaluation on the Tangs. Love the two I have and they keep my tank clean. After reviewing some of the information I am leaning towards a pair of Genicanthus melanospilos to round out the larger fish.

with regards to the Genicanthus melanospilos is there any special considerations regarding their diet? How often are you feeding them?
I feed my tank once a day and they all remain fat (I do one large feeding then they peck off the rockwork - I also have many sponges growing in the tank for angels so if I wanted to I could potentially try a melanosoma which did nearly happen). My only thing is my guy (girl?) seems to be stuck in the reverting phase, with a squiggled pattern - Most likely due to there being no female. They’re a deeper water species and IME are much more reef safe than the more common species in that genus (The deeper down they’re from then they’ll be more reef safe as there is very few corals growing down in the depths so they will have a much more concentrated diet of Phytoplankton).
6886DD7C-8D5F-4C66-AF10-4D57779044BE.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you from the uk i know where you can get a pair male is 6" female abit smaller

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank once a day and they all remain fat (I do one large feeding then they peck off the rockwork - I also have many sponges growing in the tank for angels so if I wanted to I could potentially try a melanosoma which did nearly happen). My only thing is my guy (girl?) seems to be stuck in the reverting phase, with a squiggled pattern - Most likely due to there being no female. They’re a deeper water species and IME are much more reef safe than the more common species in that genus (The deeper down they’re from then they’ll be more reef safe as there is very few corals growing down in the depths so they will have a much more concentrated diet of Phytoplankton).
6886DD7C-8D5F-4C66-AF10-4D57779044BE.jpeg
I don’t think I saw this, FOWLR?
it’s a mixed reef tank.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back