Stocking suggestions for 20 gallon macro tank?

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working on my 20 gallon macroalgae tank for about 2 months now, and it's gotten to the stage where I feel it's finially ready for some fish. I started researching several months ago, and already found a few species of fish that I'd like to keep. However, I've been doing more research and exploring different options lately, and now I'm a bit conflicted as to what to stock the tank with. I want to figure out my exact stocking list soon so I know wich fish to stock first, as to avoid aggression or territorial behavior. Given it's small size and my lack of space for a larger tank right now, I want to make sure I stock my tank with fish that will be engaging and interesting for as long as the tank is set up. I also aim to ensure that all fish in the tank are avaliable captive bred or aquarium conditioned at least, and affordable (< $100).

Right now the only life in the tank (not counting microbes and bacteria) consists of macroalgae, lots of pods, some small hermits and snails, and a couple bristleworms. It's been cycled for a while now, temps are 75 degrees, and salinity is right around 1.025.

Here are the options I've gathered up so far, in order form most likley to end up in the tank to least likely. Obviously these wouldn't all go in the tank together, I'd only have 3-5 fish max depending on specific species ;

1 ocellaris clown

1 tigrigobius multifasciatus

1 yasha or YWM goby and shrimp pair

1-2 elacatinus sp.

1 Clown goby

1 Koumansetta rainfordi

1 bluestripe pipefish

2 dwarf pipefish sp.

1 possum wrasse

1 tailspot blenny

2-4 dwarf seahorses

The last 5 options in particular have been a little troublesome to me, since there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about them; I'm not sure how long the bluestripe or dwarf pipefish live or how finicky they are, how much space the possum wrasse would actually need, or whether or not the blenny would eat my macros. There is a lot of info on the seahorses, but I doubt I'd have the time or knowledge to care for them correctly.

Still, all of these ideas have been floating around my mind for the past few days, and I figured I might as well ask what you all would go with. Are there any other suitable species that I don't know about? Which fish here would get along the best long term?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve has a macro tank and may have some suggestions

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve has a macro tank and may have some suggestions
If it was me in a 20 long, I would do a possum wrasse, a few barnacle bennies (or similar) and a rainford goby.

Possums usually take to frozen well/plus eat pods that eat macro, barnacle bennies are fun to watch once they get used to a tank and the rainford is a great fish to eat micro algae off of macro algae. While the rainford is not a algae eating monster, they pick at it throughout the day and can really make a difference if the algae is kept low to start.

My current macro tub is a 50g tub and it is about to get stocked with some bennies local to Florida once I go down there and collect some in a week. May even put a few other smaller fish I collect in there. Who knows lol.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a macro tank, and put strictly carnivorous fish only.
I had a starry blenny and the first time I tried macro in that tank, they disappeared in a few days. I sold my 3 or 4 years blenny back to my LFS.
In my approx. 40G tank I have 2 firefish, 2 scissortail dartfish and 2 pajama cardinal. As it is a peaceful tank, the firefish and the dartfish are constantly out.

I have never tried pipefish nor seahorses, but I read they need tons of pod and are finicky eater. As your tank is new, it might not be a good idea.

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried pipefish nor seahorses, but I read they need tons of pod and are finicky eater. As your tank is new, it might not be a good idea.
Yeah, If I were to try pipefish or seahorses, I would wait at least 6 months to a year before stocking any in order to give the tank more time to mature. Right now it already has a ton of pods, but I'm guessing that, just like in freshwater tanks, they'll die off as the nutrients balance out and slowly repopulate over time as tank matures

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back