Stocking the JBJ 45

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined R2R not to long ago and I’m awful at forum posts; so please bear with me.

Starting my journey into the saltwater hobby with a JBJ 45 and 40lbs of Dry Live Pukani. All of my research has given me enough information to fill a few notebooks and I’m still left with a MILLION questions.

Now it’s time to take a real look at my stock list and make some decisions. I have narrowed me stock list and I am turning to y’all for some support/help. The list may seem a bit ambitious in areas but with some help it might just work out after all.

I’m looking for advice and experiences of the sort, anything will help. Discussion’s on what will have potential pairing issues. Will they this issues be sort or long term, what will compete for food (pods, algae, etc.), i.e. a Mandarin and Wrasse, when to introduce what, substations if any and overall conversation about the choices below.

Here is a bit of information on some of the choices. Clowns are a must, I love them, my daughter loves them and I also love hearing her say “Neno” every time she sees a clownfish. The Flam Angel, has been kept in a mixed reef, in this very tank successfully but with caution. For me only time will tell to be honest. The Gramma and Firefish I enjoy both their colors and their movement in the water.

First, the only reason I have a wrasse on the list was because one of my LFS owners asked me “why no wrasse on your list?” then rattled off of this info of how beneficial they are. In all honesty my end game a year or so from now is the Mandarin, that was why I left them off the list. However, I am entreating the thought of a wrasse for the reasons the LFS owner mentioned; pest control.

Second, I wanted more yellow in the tank. I asked around and was pointed in the direction of the Yellow Candy Hogfish. My only concern would be the Gramma and Hogfish could have issues due to color. Haven’t seen very much info on this guy other than one person stating they can be jerks once they are settled in.

Last, the Diamond Spot Goby is not a must. Depending on my sand depth and tank size I am hesitant with this guy because I know it’s a high likely hood he’d starve. That I definitely do not want. However, I’d like to have something that turns the sand and keeps it clean.

Suggestions about adding or replacing different fish would be great. A fresh look is always nice to get more perspective on things.

Stock list (no particular introduction order)
Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish x2
Flame Angel x1
Royal Gramma x1
Firefish, Purple x1
Green Mandarin x1 (introduction will be 1 to 1.5 years after the tank is up on and running)

*Yellow Candy Hogfish (Will forgo for the Yellow Wrasse) x1
*Diamond Spot Gobby x1
*Some type of Wrasse (Leopard, Potters or Yellow) x1

Stock I took off the list include,
Regular Firefish
Blackcap Basselet
Potters Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Even looked at a blenny (was afraid it would not have an adequate food source after a month or so)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a JBJ 45 Gallon that I'm proude of. I changed mine to have a sump in the stand
Now I am overstocked but first off if you want your daughter to be riveted to the tank
Look at this video of my diamond watchmen
Feel free to ask any questions, PM me is fine

Oh be careful on the size of the fish. I lost a six line wrasse it was so small that it got caught in the little holes at the bottom of the false back

I have in my tank
a flame angel
A yellow tang
Two clowns
Two firefish
A yellow Goby
The diamond watchmen Goby
Two pajam cardinal fish
And two blue chromic
All are small the watchman is the largest in the tank

Everything is fine but if all you have is the straight 45 I would wait till it's really establish have tons of live rock
Or watch my videos and add a sump too
See my signature line for the vids
But here a link to the watchman

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice lists! My JBJ currently has two clowns and a melanarus wrasse. I plan on adding a Midas blenny a diamond spot goby and a pair of Banggai cardinals. I love dwarf angelfish but don't won't to lose any corals.

Your list looks good but imo a mandarin goby would pose a challenge

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, thanks for sharing your lovely tank. The fact you added a sump is awesome, especially just doing a HOB system like is super easy.

Your gobbys actions are fantastic, that makes me question me getting one though. I'd hate to have a sand storm. :)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I don't have a Sandstorm. He just moves the stuff around like he owns the place. The good thing about him is he's sifting the sand and cleaning it.
I got him when he was three 1/2.inches already he's probably 4 1/2 now He's big but I'm thinking of trading him in and getting a much smaller one just for cleaning the ditretus, plus they are cool to watch

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice lists! My JBJ currently has two clowns and a melanarus wrasse. I plan on adding a Midas blenny a diamond spot goby and a pair of Banggai cardinals. I love dwarf angelfish but don't won't to lose any corals.

Your list looks good but imo a mandarin goby would pose a challenge

You have any photos of your tank? I'd love to see it.

As for my list, I appreciate the feedback and yeah the Mandarin will definitely be a loador of love for sure. I'm willing to give it go and do pretty much anything I can to keep one.

I'm still on the hunt for other yellow fish though. Maybe the Gramma is enough idk.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined R2R not to long ago and I’m awful at forum posts; so please bear with me.

Starting my journey into the saltwater hobby with a JBJ 45 and 40lbs of Dry Live Pukani. All of my research has given me enough information to fill a few notebooks and I’m still left with a MILLION questions.

Now it’s time to take a real look at my stock list and make some decisions. I have narrowed me stock list and I am turning to y’all for some support/help. The list may seem a bit ambitious in areas but with some help it might just work out after all.

I’m looking for advice and experiences of the sort, anything will help. Discussion’s on what will have potential pairing issues. Will they this issues be sort or long term, what will compete for food (pods, algae, etc.), i.e. a Mandarin and Wrasse, when to introduce what, substations if any and overall conversation about the choices below.

Here is a bit of information on some of the choices. Clowns are a must, I love them, my daughter loves them and I also love hearing her say “Neno” every time she sees a clownfish. The Flam Angel, has been kept in a mixed reef, in this very tank successfully but with caution. For me only time will tell to be honest. The Gramma and Firefish I enjoy both their colors and their movement in the water.

First, the only reason I have a wrasse on the list was because one of my LFS owners asked me “why no wrasse on your list?” then rattled off of this info of how beneficial they are. In all honesty my end game a year or so from now is the Mandarin, that was why I left them off the list. However, I am entreating the thought of a wrasse for the reasons the LFS owner mentioned; pest control.

Second, I wanted more yellow in the tank. I asked around and was pointed in the direction of the Yellow Candy Hogfish. My only concern would be the Gramma and Hogfish could have issues due to color. Haven’t seen very much info on this guy other than one person stating they can be jerks once they are settled in.

Last, the Diamond Spot Goby is not a must. Depending on my sand depth and tank size I am hesitant with this guy because I know it’s a high likely hood he’d starve. That I definitely do not want. However, I’d like to have something that turns the sand and keeps it clean.

Suggestions about adding or replacing different fish would be great. A fresh look is always nice to get more perspective on things.

Stock list (no particular introduction order)
Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish x2
Flame Angel x1
Royal Gramma x1
Firefish, Purple x1
Green Mandarin x1 (introduction will be 1 to 1.5 years after the tank is up on and running)

*Yellow Candy Hogfish (Will forgo for the Yellow Wrasse) x1
*Diamond Spot Gobby x1
*Some type of Wrasse (Leopard, Potters or Yellow) x1

Stock I took off the list include,
Regular Firefish
Blackcap Basselet
Potters Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Even looked at a blenny (was afraid it would not have an adequate food source after a month or so)

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis) ? Beautiful, peaceful and interesting; mine get along fine with wrasses and basslets. Good luck

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that blenny has a nice shape, i particularly like the tail as it gets older. Definitely something I'll look into.

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions on the order of introduction?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I did clowns first, my flame and Tang were the last and I added them at the same time

OP
OP
Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I gonna pass on the wrasses. Would much rather have the Mandarin, end goal fish right there.

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who had 2 firefish that have a jumping issue and they ended up on the floor so a cover would be good for them

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I gonna pass on the wrasses. Would much rather have the Mandarin, end goal fish right there.

Came to say this. Add them if it doesn't work out with the mandarin. I'd do clowns first since they're hardy and then probably firefish. They're incredibly shy so I'd do my best to add it before the clowns become too territorial. I'm working on adding a firefish now and have been debating on putting my clowns into the QT for a bit just to give her a shot at getting situated.

EDIT: Also, check out CJs Aquarium on YouTube. His JBJ45 was gorgeous before he decided to get a bigger tank.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Came to say this. Add them if it doesn't work out with the mandarin. I'd do clowns first since they're hardy and then probably firefish. They're incredibly shy so I'd do my best to add it before the clowns become too territorial. I'm working on adding a firefish now and have been debating on putting my clowns into the QT for a bit just to give her a shot at getting situated.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back