Stop Melanarus wrasse from destroying nori?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So before I added my Melanarus wrasse to the tank my Tomini tang used to calmly graze on nori over the course of a few hours. Now whenever I put nori on a rock or clip the Melanarus will shred it to bits and have to floating around the tank in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, making a massive mess.

Anyone have any suggestions for feeding nori when you’ve got a fish like this? He just devours anything put in the tank.

I swear I could throw a rib eye steak in this tank and the Melanarus would reduce it nothing like a dang piranha.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just how melanurus wrasses are.
I have a melanurus and a hepatus tang together.
If just put it in a clip, a sheet of nori rarely lasts more than 30 seconds.
Huge pieces torn off and go floating around.
You could try using something like this.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I added my Melanarus wrasse to the tank my Tomini tang used to calmly graze on nori over the course of a few hours. Now whenever I put nori on a rock or clip the Melanarus will shred it to bits and have to floating around the tank in a million pieces in about 30 seconds, making a massive mess.

Anyone have any suggestions for feeding nori when you’ve got a fish like this? He just devours anything put in the tank.

I swear I could throw a rib eye steak in this tank and the Melanarus would reduce it nothing like a dang piranha.
I had to remove a Mel that I called “Pigpen.” In addition to the nori destruction that you described, mine also created daily sandstorms and splashed water out of the tank every day during feeding time. Very cool fish, great personality, but rather annoying.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed nori I cut the sheet in half and place it in two different clips. I fold each half two times and place it in the clip. Then I take scissors and make cuts half way in to the folded nori as close together as I can. When the fish grab only a small sliver that they can eat comes off. No half of the sheet coming off at one time

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, mine will do something similar, the good news is that my other fish have learned to adapt to this. I agree that rubber banding some to a rock will make things easier for you.

This is what happens with mine in my tank when the Melanurus strips it free now:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed nori I cut the sheet in half and place it in two different clips. I fold each half two times and place it in the clip. Then I take scissors and make cuts half way in to the folded nori as close together as I can. When the fish grab only a small sliver that they can eat comes off. No half of the sheet coming off at one time

I do this as well. I have a video on youtube somewhere detailing this.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @rkpetersen recommended. I’ve got 2 of the IM Gourmet Grazers now-one at each end of the tank. I couldn’t keep algae in a regular clip with my savage tangs. Great product.
4DA6F07E-7D1F-41BC-9A8D-A5548A4D4DB3.jpeg
A7826157-0D37-4D3C-B4C6-361D3B79EF7A.jpeg

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video. They had just been fed so they were not as aggressive as usual but as you can see no big pieces come off.

I need that clip! Sad I cant justify the price in my head for it but can for a calcium reactor. Does it work on 1"glass?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that clip and it's a pretty strong magnet, can't say for sure on 1 inch thick glass though. I went through 4 suction cup type clips in the course of a year and then I realized I wasn't really saving any money by going cheap. So I got the magnetic clip and haven't had a problem since.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I fold prepare mine. The sheet cut in half.

Tried this method today, works great!
I hadn't thought of partially cutting the sheet into smaller tags.
Only takes a couple seconds to do, too.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for this. My fish act like a there's a black Friday sale going on. Hopefully this will help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back