Storing copepods

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an order of pods and I was wondering if I'm not gonna add them to the tank until Friday night because I work nightshift and during the day so I won't be able to put them in the tank until Friday night should I refrigerate them because I read on the internet that if your not gonna add them right away to refrigerate them but my lfs around here don't keep the bags of pods in a refrigerator and there just sitting out except for tiggerpods that are in bottles and they refrigerate those but what should I do refrigerate them or just let them sit at room temperature until Friday night any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type. If they're the Alagen Tisbe pods in the bag with a ball of macro, they don't need to be refrigerated.
Tigger pods by Reef Nutrition need to be refrigerated.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the type of pods that they have but I bought mine from algaebarn and I bought 22000 of the bags that are mixed with three different types of pods in them and there's tigriopus in it and tisbe and apocyclops pods in the bag so do they need to be refrigerated if I'm not gonna use them until Friday night and there's no cheato in the bag

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the type of pods that they have but I bought mine from algaebarn and I bought 22000 of the bags that are mixed with three different types of pods in them and there's tigriopus in it and tisbe and apocyclops pods in the bag so do they need to be refrigerated if I'm not gonna use them until Friday night and there's no cheato in the bag

Ah okay yeah stick those in the fridge and they'll be just fine.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then take them out Friday morning so they get room temperature before floating them in the tank or what

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type. If they're the Alagen Tisbe pods in the bag with a ball of macro, they don't need to be refrigerated.
Tigger pods by Reef Nutrition need to be refrigerated.

Hey there,

I just wanted to jump in real quick to clarify something about our Tigriopus californicus (aka. Tigger-Pods). They don't need to be refrigerated. Since they can tolerate low temperatures, we use it to our advantage. You can keep them for longer in a refrigerator because the low temps slow them down metabolically, keeping them from using up their energy reserves and all the oxygen in the bottle. It just makes more sense in a retail store setting. Typically, when a customer buys a bottle, they take it home and dump them in. Or, sometimes, the customer puts the bottle in the fridge and doses them a few days later. I just want to make sure that you know they don't necessarily NEED to be in a fridge. Glad to hear people talking about Tigriopus copepods.

Cheers,
Chad

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I just wanted to jump in real quick to clarify something about our Tigriopus californicus (aka. Tigger-Pods). They don't need to be refrigerated. Since they can tolerate low temperatures, we use it to our advantage. You can keep them for longer in a refrigerator because the low temps slow them down metabolically, keeping them from using up their energy reserves and all the oxygen in the bottle. It just makes more sense in a retail store setting. Typically, when a customer buys a bottle, they take it home and dump them in. Or, sometimes, the customer puts the bottle in the fridge and doses them a few days later. I just want to make sure that you know they don't necessarily NEED to be in a fridge. Glad to hear people talking about Tigriopus copepods.

Cheers,
Chad

I've bought "Tigger Pods" from most every distributor out there. I mean I have bought LOTS of tigger pods. They fascinate me for some strange reason. The Tigger Pods put into the marketplace by Reef Nutrition are on an entire different level from everyone else, AlgaeBarn or GetPods included. Your tigger pods are Far larger and far more orange. I know you can't speak for the other retailers, but are Tigger Pods all the same? Why are yours so much larger and FAR more colorful? It's not even close.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, sometimes, the customer puts the bottle in the fridge and doses them a few days later. I just want to make sure that you know they don't necessarily NEED to be in a fridge.
Hi Chad @Reef Nutrition - If you're not going to dump them in right away, does it matter of you leave the top of the bottle open or not?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chad @Reef Nutrition - If you're not going to dump them in right away, does it matter of you leave the top of the bottle open or not?

Hey Larry,

You always want to pop the top open when storing them, whether it's in the fridge or not. We like the copepods to be exposed to air for proper gas exchange at all times. Precautionary tactics are favored anytime!

Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought "Tigger Pods" from most every distributor out there. I mean I have bought LOTS of tigger pods. They fascinate me for some strange reason. The Tigger Pods put into the marketplace by Reef Nutrition are on an entire different level from everyone else, AlgaeBarn or GetPods included. Your tigger pods are Far larger and far more orange. I know you can't speak for the other retailers, but are Tigger Pods all the same? Why are yours so much larger and FAR more colorful? It's not even close.

Most of our competitors use brand names as well, but if they are Tigriopus californicus, then they are the same species as Tigger-Pods. The pigmentation comes from the carotenoids that they get from the algae they are fed. UV light that pierces our shade cloth on our greenhouse may be stimulating them to hold onto more carotenoids. The pigment compounds are thought to protect them from UV exposure. As far as the size goes, tough to say why ours might be bigger. Might be growing conditions, the strains of algae that I'm feeding them, etc. Because of proprietary reasons, I am unable to tell you exactly how I do it.

-Chad

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of our competitors use brand names as well, but if they are Tigriopus californicus, then they are the same species as Tigger-Pods. The pigmentation comes from the carotenoids that they get from the algae they are fed. UV light that pierces our shade cloth on our greenhouse may be stimulating them to hold onto more carotenoids. The pigment compounds are thought to protect them from UV exposure. As far as the size goes, tough to say why ours might be bigger. Might be growing conditions, the strains of algae that I'm feeding them, etc. Because of proprietary reasons, I am unable to tell you exactly how I do it.

-Chad

Understood. I'll post comparison photos next time I'm able. It's quite a startling difference, not at all subtle.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up some copepods from AlgaeBarn... can they be stored and not used for a good amount of time? Or should I just put it all in the tank?

I got two from their BOGO offer and I was thinking if it's better to just dump both?

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up some copepods from AlgaeBarn... can they be stored and not used for a good amount of time? Or should I just put it all in the tank?

I got two from their BOGO offer and I was thinking if it's better to just dump both?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AlgaeBarn is a sponsor on R2R. You should contact them directly. Good luck!

Chad

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back