Storm Izzy Preparations

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully everyone in Izzy's path has completed preparations in case of a power outage. Predicting thousands could be affected by a power outage.

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Still somewhat new to reefing, 18 months or so. I live in PA where power outages of more than an hour are rare but decided to protect my tank. No need for a big fancy generator where I live. It would be a waste of money for sure. Here's where I laugh at the care for my tank vs myself.

Preparations for house
1. locate snowbrush and bring it in from vehicle.
2. set snowshovel out.
No extra groceries or TP bought. Holy crap, I'm only gonna be stuck here a few hours at most.

Preparations for tank:
1. Buy deep cycle marine battery from auto parts store
2. Inverter from Harbor Freight
3. hurry and get weekly water change and testing done before it snows
4. make sure extra saltwater bin is full and mixed good before storm

Ok. I think I care about my dang fish tank than my life at the moment. LOL.

OP
OP
Brian_68

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Still somewhat new to reefing, 18 months or so. I live in PA where power outages of more than an hour are rare but decided to protect my tank. No need for a big fancy generator where I live. It would be a waste of money for sure. Here's where I laugh at the care for my tank vs myself.

Preparations for house
1. locate snowbrush and bring it in from vehicle.
2. set snowshovel out.
No extra groceries or TP bought. Holy crap, I'm only gonna be stuck here a few hours at most.

Preparations for tank:
1. Buy deep cycle marine battery from auto parts store
2. Inverter from Harbor Freight
3. hurry and get weekly water change and testing done before it snows
4. make sure extra saltwater bin is full and mixed good before storm

Ok. I think I care about my dang fish tank than my life at the moment. LOL.
I was not concerned about power outages in PA either not far from Pittsburgh until I got hit with one, power was out for 4 days. Changed my mind real quick and a generator is on hand. You never can tell, and if there are ice storms it could be days for certain unlucky ones.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did an overdue oil change on my tenants generator...fired it up manually, shut it down and re-checked the oil...all good...about 3 hrs later did the "did i put that back on auto? ''....nope, i forgot...at least i remembered before it was needed...

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not concerned about power outages in PA either not far from Pittsburgh until I got hit with one, power was out for 4 days. Changed my mind real quick and a generator is on hand. You never can tell, and if there are ice storms it could be days for certain unlucky ones.
Wow. I'm in Indiana County and have never had a power loss for more than a few hours.

OP
OP
Brian_68

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed my post of having battery backup that should easily last a few hours.
And a source to heat your house in the winter and / or generator to run the furnace. With freezing temps houses with be in the 50s before you know it without a backup heat source and the tank heaters have no chance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have a whole house natural gas generator. Here when the power goes out its usually 100 or -20

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a source to heat your house in the winter and / or generator to run the furnace. With freezing temps houses with be in the 50s before you know it without a backup heat source and the tank heaters have no chance.
Well, my tank is in my basement living room which stays actually warmer than upstairs when there's no heat to the house. Not to mention, I have natural gas stove. I can always heat some tank water and throw it back in if need be.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back