Storms and Reefs.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Alabama we frequent have strong storms, hurricanes, and sometimes freezing weather. With such a diverse weather pattern, and more and more extreme storms reef hobbyists are becoming prepared to battle power outages and save their live stock. Personally I live in a part of Alabam that receives hurricanes, yet alot of tornadoes. This is due to not living to far south, or north. Anyway, we are being warned of the potential to strong storms so it is essential I begin to have a back up plan if necessary for my reef. What are stories from storms you've been exposed too, the outcome, and how did you potentially save your aquarium?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in south Louisiana and have been in plenty of storms , been thought a few where the electric was out at 8 days and a bunch of other less than a week. For years I used a portable generator, but now have a whole house generator. Best wsy to protect your tank and food.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best investment would be a generator. I went through a 4.5 day power outage when I lived in NJ. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a generator. I did have an invented that I put in my car that would run my pumps for short periods of time. I did lose most of my corals, but my fish and seahorses lived.

Now, I’m in a coastal community in the Outer Banks, NC. This area does see its fair share of bad weather and I will be prepared with a generator. The only thing that concerns me with my tank is evacuating. There’s not much I can do if that happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back