Strange brown polyps critter ID?

Ironlink1000

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2023
Messages
17
Reaction score
9
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I was cleaning and moving some corals around in my tank and found that near a colony of some zoas there appears to be some kind of brown clove polyp growing around them… which is weird because I’ve only ever had firework cloves in my tank which are never brown, even when young. Attached are two pictures of the weird organism and one of my firework polyps as reference. The last thing I’ve added to my tank is a maxima clam nowhere near this area around two months ago, which is set towards the top of the tank. Does anyone know what these are?

IMG_4451.jpeg IMG_4448.jpeg IMG_4431.jpeg
 
Hello all! I was cleaning and moving some corals around in my tank and found that near a colony of some zoas there appears to be some kind of brown clove polyp growing around them… which is weird because I’ve only ever had firework cloves in my tank which are never brown, even when young. Attached are two pictures of the weird organism and one of my firework polyps as reference. The last thing I’ve added to my tank is a maxima clam nowhere near this area around two months ago, which is set towards the top of the tank. Does anyone know what these are?

IMG_4451.jpeg IMG_4448.jpeg IMG_4431.jpeg
Here is a picture of them at night
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 84
I think you're right. Looks like clove polyps. They can be a bit of a nuisance by overcrowding things.
 
They're an invasive clove polyp. I would remove any frags or colonies where you see them. Initially they probably were too small or hidden. Once they begin to spread they are nearly unstoppable.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new