Strange Fish Death

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue chromis died yesterday, and I can't figure out why. He started hiding and wouldnt come out to eat. Two days later he was dead. He was in my 93 gallon cube with one other clown fish. The tank is new about a month or two old. Ammonia is 0; I used rock from my old tank. No ich, velvet, nothing external. Aeration is good so 02 shouldn't be a problem. I'm only running a protein skimmer and algae scrubber. Everything seems good. Unfortunately I was not able to get him out. He died under a rock in the very back of the tank. Any ideas?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is your tank?
The fish came from your old tank I assume and how old was your fish?

It could be anything as you transferred them but if was healthy in your old system I'll throw it on stress.
The fact he was hiding means he wasn't happy.
Monitor your clown fish for a few weeks before getting any other, and of course with all new fish now days run them through quarantine
for a week or 6.

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did quarantine for 1 month, just observation. I've had the chromis for over a year and he's always been healthy. I moved him over to the new tank about a week ago. He seemed fine and ate good. Then he stayed in the rocks for 2 days and died. From what I could see he didn't have any external problems.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back