Strange Maroon Clown

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was in an LFS today. I've owned ocellaris before, as well as oscars. I've seen plenty of fish who are either hoping, or are used to, me feeding them. I've walked by at least hundreds of ocellari and maroon clowns in my lifetime, and dozens during my 20 minutes today at this LFS.....

.... and for the first time I felt a fish was really looking at me. He 1" was nearly at my eye height, the only fish (amidst like 30 snails) in this 20L-ish tank for whatever reason. Swimming all across the glass, and in healthy condition. He definitely made eye contact, in (I thought) a way the maroon (also alone) in the next tank over didn't. Or any other.

Very strange experience. Has anyone else felt something like this?

I was tempted to take him, but a) I don't have a tank ATM b) the one I'm setting up will be a 10G c) he will be violent when he grows up and changes sex. (assuming he ever makes it; he was well fed and healthy from ORA but I'm sure his chances of being so healthy for more than a month aren't good.... :( )

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have several pairs of clowns and the one that makes the most eye contact is also the one that attacks my hand when my hand is anywhere near the tank!!!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was wondering why you’re looking at him and not giving him any food ;Hilarious Very personable and bold fish, mine is not scared of anything.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back