Strange Spiked Growths

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
3,884
Reaction score
4,283
Location
Bay Area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely no clue what these things are. They came on some LFS live rock, which I believe originated from the Indo-Pacific. They have no holes, feel quite tough, do not bend, and have small “tufts” on their spikes. They also do not appear to have grown since I introduced them a few weeks back.
3A0FD6BA-7151-4456-80E4-964902E1DA43.jpeg

F64A166D-4B63-4015-B248-AAB4884EFC81.jpeg

99F834C3-6BE4-48A8-8E67-8B280CF8A9B2.jpeg

Does anyone have any idea as to what they are?
 
Porifera sponges.
 
+1 Forminiferans. They filter nutrients from the water with those tufts. I have the same variety in my tank as well. Harmless.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new