Strange Worms on Glass - Please Help!

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these strange thin red/pink worms on my glass and they just have appeared from nowhere. I do not have live rock and all of my corals have been dipped. Please help me figure out if these are good or bad. Here’s an image -

60223D0F-3615-4126-973E-5C0E6284AE72.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen those kinds of life before. I believe that you may have provided the first proof positive that evolution is still happening today. For sure you have proven that this site is changing as you have just joined us.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Someone will give you a real answer- bump.

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen those kinds of life before. I believe that you may have provided the first proof positive that evolution is still happening today. For sure you have proven that this site is changing as you have just joined us.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Someone will give you a real answer- bump.

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com
Thank you for accepting me. I’m only a year into this.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you here. It takes time to get familiar with the myriads of hitchhiker pest that sneak into our tanks. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on here who may have seen this worm before. It doesn't look like any pest organism that I have encountered but I don't know what it is and bumped the thread to get more people looking at it.
I also wanted to welcome you, so I did what I could. :)

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a spaghetti worm, couldn't tell you the exact type. I haven't seen them since I first started keeping saltwater aquariums 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I found a ton of them under my rocks when I moved things around for maintenance.

JikkaLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I found a ton of them under my rocks when I moved things around for maintenance.
Took me a moment cause when I seen mine they were in a big pile on top of each other. They're very good for your aquarium with them being detritivores and everything. I wouldn't remove them personally, but if you really want to I'd introduce other detritivores to outcompete them.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB84F988-5AD9-4A15-A304-12855EB6F148.jpeg

Here’s another picture of one of the rascals!
100% spaghetti worm! They look super funky but are a good CUC member. Just wait until you catch one out and about that's the size of an earthworm yuuuuuck lol They regularly spawn in my aquariums, the corals love the extra food but it gives me the heebiegeebies lol

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% spaghetti worm! They look super funky but are a good CUC member. Just wait until you catch one out and about that's the size of an earthworm yuuuuuck lol They regularly spawn in my aquariums, the corals love the extra food but it gives me the heebiegeebies lol
Most certainly! I appreciate everyone here and the very helpful advice. I’m only a year into reefing and there has been interesting challenges along the way. I’m about to upgrade to a 55g, so they will no longer be residing in my tank haha. I ironically have a phobia of worms!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most certainly! I appreciate everyone here and the very helpful advice. I’m only a year into reefing and there has been interesting challenges along the way. I’m about to upgrade to a 55g, so they will no longer be residing in my tank haha. I ironically have a phobia of worms!
They may still make it to the new tank, it's crazy how many creatures show up in an aquarium that you didn't put in there!

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in my system for many years. Only in the sump tho, my DT has a wrasse and I have not seen a bristle or any worm in my DT.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back