Stranger danger?

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

I’ve got a piece of rock sprouting something I can’t ID. It’s sprouting in multiple different places on the rock. LFS couldn’t help much (doesn’t help that my video isn’t of the best quality ). All I can tell is that these very small guys are growing in little groups of 4 or 5 heads, their centers glow bright green under blue led’s (that’s how I noticed them), and they have brown “hairs” that line the outside of the “heads”.I attached a video, but I can always try to get a better image if it’s not clear enough!

Last edited:

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the video... maybe colonial hydroid, sponge/filter feeder, or some type of anemone?

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple pictures, these any better?
A3DA7124-479C-49E0-AD04-9787CFAFE5F2.jpeg
B0F341A8-DCCC-4EAF-A086-558F0EBD806A.jpeg

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of look like palythoa (palys) from the photo, but still hard to tell.
Are they translucent?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see a possible vermetid snail or tube worm
Pics too blue and video good but too much shimmer

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second thought, they 'kinda' look like aptasia, an invasive anemone, take a minute to look into it and confirm... Not saying it is, but airing on the safe side here.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids maybe? Looks like lots of tiny green circles with individual tentacles? Hard to see with dark blue lighting though. Possible pic under white lights?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Advice for containment or removal? They’re popping up on a quite a few different areas of this one rock. It is possible to remove the rock if necessary, but I don’t want to kill off beneficial bacteria.
Natural or chemical? Peppermint shrimp and berghia nudis will help get rid of them. Injecting them with a slurry made from kalk or h2o2 will also work.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural or chemical? Peppermint shrimp and berghia nudis will help get rid of them. Injecting them with a slurry made from kalk or h2o2 will also work.
I prefer the natural route when possible. I have a hammer, a Duncan, and 2 snow onyx clowns. Peppermint shrimp and berghia nudis are compatible? Newb here

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not aiptasia. Aiptasia does not fluoresce and gets far larger. What you have are colonial hydroids, relatively harmless unless they start living around corals. Not something to worry about in the slightest, they'll die out at some point and reappear somewhere else in the tank. I personally quite like them, I got a few in my own tanks.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also injecting them with Aiptasiax or lemon juice (they literally melt) however with lemon juice only do a few at a time because it will drop pH

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not aiptasia. Aiptasia does not fluoresce and gets far larger. What you have are colonial hydroids, relatively harmless unless they start living around corals. Not something to worry about in the slightest, they'll die out at some point and reappear somewhere else in the tank. I personally quite like them, I got a few in my own tanks.
And if they do start living around corals? There are a couple popping up in the middle of some GSP. On the same rock. (Sorry, I know, blue lights make it hard to see )

F2E9A022-35CB-435C-A405-D5A87571B9CF.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if they do start living around corals? There are a couple popping up in the middle of some GSP. On the same rock. (Sorry, I know, blue lights make it hard to see )

F2E9A022-35CB-435C-A405-D5A87571B9CF.jpeg
I wouldn't worry to much about it, the best plan of action though would be to smother the area in superglue and let it dry to the rock. I would only do that if they are clearly doing damage though.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to get it out asap, regardless of hydroid or aptasia.... Whether its remove the rock and place outside for a week and soak in rodi freshwater for another week, or injection.

I'm sure others will have great suggestions too.

You can always regrow bacteria.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assume they're problematic because they sting corals? Just curious... never had the pleasure of seeing these things.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume they're problematic because they sting corals? Just curious... never had the pleasure of seeing these things.
Yeah, that tends to be the main problem with them. From my experience though they tend to stay in the shadows and more often then not won't get in the way of corals. But, I've only ever had a few occurrences of these guys so my know-how isn't complete.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back