Stray Electricity From Something Apex

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, how would that kill your fish?
Can kill YOU, not the fish. Electricity can defibrillate your heart above 100mA for the typical person but has been recorded to damage pacemakers as low as 30mA. Getting shocked when you are covered in saltwater can reduce your body's internal resistance to as low as 1000 ohms. This would allow 100mA to be passed through your heart at as little as 100V.

This is a worst case event and something as simple as wearing shoes is enough to save you from death here, but if everything lines up wrong where you are barefoot, covered in saltwater and reach into a tank with a fully failed heater, you're a goner.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered it might be wise to hire a certified electrician or find someone you know that knows about electricity to check for your stray voltage !!! Just my opinion . The questions and answers your giving on this thread leads me to believe you might need help in this area. Maybe someone at your lfs might help you . Electricity is nothing to play with !!!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming, and we all know what that means, that since the gfci outlet tripped his heaters didn’t turn on as they had no power and the temp dropped too low. Of course other things could have lost power too but I would just be throwing darts guessing.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about my previous experience where the GFCI tripping led to a tank crash, it was because all of my heat and flow was on the GFCI that tripped. So my tank got down to 68 degrees F and was without flow for 16 hours. SPS can die without flow in as little as 4 hours and their deaths lead to an ammonia spike that kills other corals, then more ammonia, which kills more, then bacteria bloom that depletes the tank of oxygen that kills fish, and so and and so forth until everything is dead and the tank smells of death.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound strange.. Yikes..
Oops, I replied to wrong comment yet again. I’m a dummy.

Bad ballasts can bleed back into the circuit. It’s high frequency and more like dc than a normal ac wave. We oversimplified it by calling it noise or dirty power. Typically it would affect sensitive electronics before anyone would look for it as the light would still be operational.

gnomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find an answer to this? I recently learned my LLS15 is the source of my voltage bleed. As soon as I disconnect it the shocks stop.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find an answer to this? I recently learned my LLS15 is the source of my voltage bleed. As soon as I disconnect it the shocks stop.
No. The EB832 failed shortly after and I replaced it. I have not had an issue since.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back