Stray voltage in tank

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my tank setup for 4+ years all 4 of my fish died within a week. I sent out a Triton water sample and everything came back good. I thought maybe disease and left the tank fallow for 6 weeks. My zoa polyps quit coming out for the first time in several years during this time. After 6 weeks I added a clown fish and royal gramma and both were dead within 24 hours. I added a orange monti digi at the same time and it was Dead and bone white within 24 hours as well. My last thought as to why was stray voltage. I tested with a multimeter and had over 5+ volts in the tank. I assume this is high enough to kill fish and coral? One by one I checked the equipment to see what was leaking voltage. Return pump was giving off 2.8 volts, heater was giving off 2 volts, mp10 giving off 1.3 volts. All of these were pieces of equipment that were bought with the tank originally and 4+ years old. I think I have solved my problem. Anybody else have any input or similar experience? I find it a little odd that almost every piece of equipment that touched the water was giving off stray voltage.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have stray voltage with 5 volts in the tank and the fish are in essence insulated.
and 6 weeks is not long enough for fallow. This could be velvet.
Cant explain coral deaths but sub par water parameters could explain this and could be a coencidence.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider a toxin, especially if you don’t run activated carbon (& change it out regularly). Organic compounds won’t show up on an icp type test (mass spec.).

Possibilities include bug spray or room deodorizer, type things.

You also didn’t mention invertebrates. Do you have those, if so, how are they?

It’s time for season changes, what’s your temperature running? Any swings?

Sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider a toxin, especially if you don’t run activated carbon (& change it out regularly). Organic compounds won’t show up on an icp type test (mass spec.).

Possibilities include bug spray or room deodorizer, type things.

You also didn’t mention invertebrates. Do you have those, if so, how are they?

It’s time for season changes, what’s your temperature running? Any swings?

Sorry for your losses.
Thanks. All of my snails and crabs dead as well. I will try running carbon.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have stray voltage with 5 volts in the tank and the fish are in essence insulated.
and 6 weeks is not long enough for fallow. This could be velvet.
Cant explain coral deaths but sub par water parameters could explain this and could be a coencidence.
5 volts is not high enough for stray? Velvet wouldn’t explain complete coral death within 24 hours. Water parameters were assessed through Triton test and results came back perfect. This is also not a new tank, over 4 years old and happened with no new species originally added in many months if not a couple years.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not volts that kill its amps. Check the amperage.

Voltage is like the quantity of train cars on a train and amperage is how powerful the engine train is. Without a strong engine (amps) the train doesn't move. Basically voltage without amperage does nothing. Amps x volts = watts

That said something is off. Have you tested ammonia? If 0 then id suspect a contaminant of some sort. How are you checking salinity?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back