Stray voltage?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a voltmeter you can take one test probe and put it in the tank water and touch the other test probe to the ground prong on an outlet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a normal or acceptable level?
I see around 20V to 24V if I don't have my ground probe installed. With my ground probe I go to 0V.

It is hard to say what is normal or acceptable and the subject of much debate. There are 2 primary methods of getting voltage in your tank. The more harmless one is that it is induced. Any time you have a power cord inside of, or running next to your aquarium, or run motors in the tank water, you will induce a voltage (magnetic coupling). Since the path people route power cords and the type and placement of electrical equipment changes from tank to tank, this causes people to see a wide variety of induced voltages. While this show voltage on a meter, there is no power behind it so as soon as even small levels of current starts flowing the voltage goes away. A ground probe will reduce this voltage to zero but it will not trip a GFCI unit.
The more dangerous way to get voltage in your tank is if you have a piece of electrical equipment fail or failing. This will provide a source of voltage that does have power behind it and can result in a significant electrical shock. It also means that you have a path from an energized source to your tank water with that source most likely being copper. This can leach copper and other chemicals into your water in addition to the voltage. A ground probe will also reduce this voltage to zero but it will pull larger amounts of current to do so. This will trip a GFCI.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back